Price is now lower for our pd in full cruise. Do we have any options for FCC, on board credit or even room upgrade?

Donnalit

our cruise was paid in full in December, but now the price is almost $1200 less than we pd! We are only 17 days from departure but think we should get FCC, on board credit or even a room upgrade from our current balcony to make up for this deficit.  Has anyone had success getting any of these things?  long time Norwegian cruisers but were not very happy abou this at all.

17 minutes ago, Donnalit said:

our cruise was paid in full in December, but now the price is almost $1200 less than we pd! We are only 17 days from departure but think we should get FCC, on board credit or even a room upgrade from our current balcony to make up for this deficit.  Has anyone had success getting any of these things?  long time Norwegian cruisers but were not very happy abou this at all.

If the price went up would you be happy to pay that difference? If you're willing to wait to the last minute to book, you can sometimes get a better deal, but the room selection is typically worse.

But, NCL will usually allow you to pay to upgrade to the next class(s) of rooms provided they still cost more. You also "might" get some FCC to stay where you're at if you ask nicely. The limitations usually are if you have a perk like airfare on your existing booking, that usually makes you ineligible for FCC since the perks are not the same.

Contact NCL or your travel agent directly and see what happens.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Personally, I think that anyone that booked more than 3 months ago is in the same boat 

you're probably right - just disappointed - guess we'll wait til 90 days out to book our next one to  possibly avoid that

1 hour ago, Donnalit said:

You can think anything you want, but you are due nothing.  As others have pointed out, had you purchased a new car at the beginning of the model year when selection is high, then at the end of the year model when not much is left they drop the price, would you go back to the car dealer requesting a price adjustment?  Being a 'long time Norwegian cruiser' you know all of this already though.

• Like 2

My Greek Isles cruise is currently 1/3rd the price of what we paid. From what I understand, we're at the mercy of NCL as far as consolation goes. On one had - we paid what we felt was worthwhile enough when we paid it...on the other hand, it sucks to know we'll be cruising with others who paid less than half for more than what we have - and that diminishes our perceived value a bit. But...we get to visit beautiful places with people we love. I can't be sad about that.

I DO wish we were able to upgrade at the current rate since the cost of a better cabin is lower than what we're paying - that part does seem a bit unfair.

Edited by jennie313
  • Like 1

At 121 days out from a Bliss Alaska cruise, my PCC (this afternoon) got me upgraded from Studio to Club Balcony Suite and got me the 3 Latitudes points per night promotion and $100 onboard credit for $12.50.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jennie313 said:

My Greek Isles cruise is currently 1/3rd the price of what we paid. From what I understand, we're at the mercy of NCL as far as consolation goes. On one had - we paid what we felt was worthwhile enough when we paid it...on the other hand, it sucks to know we'll be cruising with others who paid less than half for more than what we have - and that diminishes our perceived value a bit. But...we get to visit beautiful places with people we love. I can't be sad about that.

I DO wish we were able to upgrade at the current rate since the cost of a better cabin is lower than what we're paying - that part does seem a bit unfair.

i feel the same way!  I'm going to enjoy my trip regardless, as well 🙂  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MoCruiseFan said:

You can think anything you want, but you are due nothing.  As others have pointed out, had you purchased a new car at the beginning of the model year when selection is high, then at the end of the year model when not much is left they drop the price, would you go back to the car dealer requesting a price adjustment?  Being a 'long time Norwegian cruiser' you know all of this already though.

thank for you thoughtful comments -  I only asked here b/c i know that others have wrangled upgrades, or FCC from NCL for price changes - it has happened.  evidently they will only do this up to 90 days before departure date since that's when most people cancel.

we have never had to deal with a dramatic price change like this before over the yrs we've been with NCL.   I'm sure their unwillingness to offer anything for price drops is directly related to the ongoing fallout and loss from Covid over the past 2

Again, appreciate your comments - it's people like you that make these forums and information so valuable

33 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

This same scenario has been asked and addressed several times already in the past few days.  

apologies - new to this forum - i did search but didn't see anything that matched 

Also consider that when you booked in December the cruise qualified for the free airfare for second guest (or maybe it was 50% off both at that time), that is built into the price and once it drops off the offers the price goes down.  Some other perks have also changed since then.

Here's one of the previous threads, found it on page 4...

1 hour ago, Donnalit said:

you're probably right - just disappointed - guess we'll wait til 90 days out to book our next one to  possibly avoid that

I booked two weeks ago for May. The price went down two hours after I booked then again the following week, and yet again last week. 

I was able to upgrade (for a price) since the promo is essentially the same as it was when I booked (70% off second vs. 35% off 1 & 2 - just wording)

Look into a paid upgrade.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Donnalit said:

apologies - new to this forum - i did search but didn't see anything that matched 

Welcome!  You don't have to apologize to anyone here.  We have quite a few scolds and other folks that like to play thread police.  Just ignore them.  Mostly you'll get responses from people that have insight and want to help.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Travelicious said:

Welcome!  You don't have to apologize to anyone here.  We have quite a few scolds and other folks that like to play thread police.  Just ignore them.  Mostly you'll get responses from people that have insight and want to help.

thank you!  I've learned quite a bit already reading the posts of so many who have had questions answered and advice given to them.  there's so much experience and information here! 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Donnalit said:

thank you!  I've learned quite a bit already reading the posts of so many who have had questions answered and advice given to them.  there's so much experience and information here! 

If you are booked in an Inside, Ocean View, or Balcony and would like to move up to a Suite or the Haven, it may be possible for you to do that even after the final payment date.  As long as the newly reduced price of the Haven or Suite is just a bit more than you paid for your current reservation, simply call NCL and ask to move up.  As long as you are willing to pay more, they generally will agree to move you up.  It won't save you any money, but it may improve your cruise experience.  If you originally booked an Inside stateroom, you even may find that with the price reductions a Balcony is now just a bit more than you have already paid.  Of course, if you already have booked one of the more expensive cabins, such as a Suite or the Haven, you probably are out of luck on moving up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Donnalit said:

I have a similar situation. Last week I booked a cruise less than 60 days away so I had to pay in full when I booked. Three days later the price on my category dropped by $500.  I had a feeling that was going to happen. My booking is thru my TA so I asked them if there was anything NCL would do. I was told NCL looks at it on a case to case basis and if I qualified they would issue a FCC. I haven’t actually heard from them yet so I’m not even sure what will happen. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

This same scenario has been asked and addressed several times already in the past few days.  

Yep, and yet we have people on here still suggesting NCL is selling so well they can keep their prices high due to simple supply and demand. It's ludicrous. 

To the OP, in the past NCL has been a bit more generous with price reduction after final payment (upgrade, some obc, etc..), but right now they are charging very high initial prices to dilute the value of FCC and fudge their numbers. Last minute has always been the best deal in town (99% of the time anyway), but lately they are practically giving away cruises just to get bodies onboard. 

Try to just enjoy. You purchased at what you felt was a fair price. It sucks I know, but Covid has really changed the game :(.

Best to you.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jennie313 said:

Next time you fly, ask those around you how much they paid for their ticket. 😳

It’s called load management.

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Yep, and yet we have people on here still suggesting NCL is selling so well they can keep their prices high due to simple supply and demand. It's ludicrous. 

To the OP, in the past NCL has been a bit more generous with price reduction after final payment (upgrade, some obc, etc..), but right now they are charging very high initial prices to dilute the value of FCC and fudge their numbers. Last minute has always been the best deal in town (99% of the time anyway), but lately they are practically giving away cruises just to get bodies onboard. 

Try to just enjoy. You purchased at what you felt was a fair price. It sucks I know, but Covid has really changed the game :(.

Best to you.

thanks, i know what you're saying is so true, just really never had this happen to us in the past, but clearly has impacted many, many others.  apparently we may have had better luck getting something from NCL before our final payment, but it is what it is.  we will enjoy our trip and know that lesson learned when booking so far in advance that this certainly may happen again.

12 hours ago, RosieRoo said:

I have a similar situation. Last week I booked a cruise less than 60 days away so I had to pay in full when I booked. Three days later the price on my category dropped by $500.  I had a feeling that was going to happen. My booking is thru my TA so I asked them if there was anything NCL would do. I was told NCL looks at it on a case to case basis and if I qualified they would issue a FCC. I haven’t actually heard from them yet so I’m not even sure what will happen. 

we've been working with our TA on this and even he said that the same thing happened to him - he told us that even after trying to go thru several supervisors, NCL would not budge or offer anything at all, even tho he has booked thousands of cruises for clients with NCL.  he was expecting that since he's a TA they would grant him something, but they would not 

18 hours ago, Donnalit said:

Personally, I think that anyone that booked more than 3 months ago is in the same boat 

19 hours ago, Donnalit said:

Got to be willing to risk getting what you want vs what is still available
We once waited & got a great price but an obstructed view balcony (only available).
Another time - having to change cabins on a B2B  etc
We watch the price drops until final payment, but so does the rest of the world it seems
Those drops have always been credited to us automatically by our PCC.

After final payment, it's paying a bit more for upgrade or staying put.

• Like 1

Ask.  That's what I have done in  the past.  The worst that NCL can do is to say no.  But, every time I've called about a price adjustment, I've gotten something--OBC, specialty dining credit, money back on my credit card.  Yes, when I make the final payment, I'm happy with what I've paid but it doesn't hurt to ask politely. 

And, I have to say, that a few times I've called, been told no, nothing can be done.  I've thanked the rep for their help, ended the call and then called back.  Different rep always got me a perk added to my booking.

• Like 1