Covid Outbreak on Regatta - 50 Cabins Quarantined After Cruise

Traveller321Go

16 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Wait...this is not before COVID, and if minor problems are tested and COVID is not the cause, there is no isolation.   So why do you say "when we can get back to some form of non-isolation for "minor" symptoms."

Why test at all for minor symptoms? I think what I am trying to say, i think there may be two polar opposite options (can't see much in between):

1 going all out with masks, daily testing, isolation

2. minimal testing, minimal isolation, managing as a cold

As a fully vaccinated person, I would probably take the latter

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

Part of the problem. If people were told how bad it was they could have taken precautions. 

But with COVID, once it becomes bad enough to warn people, isn't it too late to start taking precautions? The infection is already spreading. I'm not an MD, but I was a Boy Scout 😎, so I follow the motto of "Be Prepared."

2 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

Why test at all for minor symptoms? I think what I am trying to say, i think there may be two polar opposite options (can't see much in between):

Infected people with minor symptoms spread the virus. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drkitkat123 said:

That may work for YOU  but what if  someone you also fully vaccinated but has medical issues come in contact with a covid carrier  & becomes very ill ?

Have everyone on the same page   may help keep everyone safer

JMO

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

I agree that daily testing doesn't seem to make sense, but wearing a mask seems to be a minor inconvenience to minimize the chances of my being infected and minimize the chances of my infecting someone else, should I be asymptomatically infected. Should I be infected, as horrible as it might be, I would take isolation to protect others.

Edited by 1985rz1

12 minutes ago, Traveller321Go said:

Part of the problem. If people were told how bad it was they could have taken precautions. 

maybe  but if people around you were coughing  etc.. common sense would tell people to mask up & stay away 

But many people as you admitted  did not want to test because they would be quarantined ..they knew they were sick & still were going to enjoy their cruise while others paid the price

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

That may work for YOU  but what if  someone you also fully vaccinated but has medical issues come in contact with a covid carrier  & becomes very ill ?

JMO

agree but not sure where this COVID thing is going eventually and how the outcomes for fully vaccinated (and continuing to be boosted people) patients are the same or different to previous outbreaks of flu (when susceptible people did have severe consequences) - until then does not seem worthwhile for me to cruise with 10-20% risk of being confined to cabin. IMO

• Like 2

1 minute ago, drkitkat123 said:

agree but not sure where this COVID thing is going eventually and how the outcomes for fully vaccinated (and continuing to be boosted people) patients are the same or different to previous outbreaks of flu (when susceptible people did have severe consequences) - until then does not seem worthwhile for me to cruise with 10-20% risk of being confined to cabin. IMO

I agree

That is one of the reason we are not cruising  anytime soonI would love a vacation but it is not worth the risk for ME

10 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

agree but not sure where this COVID thing is going eventually and how the outcomes for fully vaccinated (and continuing to be boosted people) patients are the same or different to previous outbreaks of flu (when susceptible people did have severe consequences)

Totally agree.  It's currently a crap shoot.

• Like 1

Bottom line here is the issue. For many of us, the symptoms of Covid may well be asymptomatic or slight. Perhaps not much more than a bad cold. We travel, work, and carry on our lives with the common cold. However, for those with compromised immune systems the outcomes can be far worse. 

The cruise lines have chosen to be open to all. No doctor’s evaluation for any concerning advisability for cruising. Period. Therefore, the 20% , that may be infected, are treated as pariahs in order to protect that small percentage (1-2%) that might have disastrous outcomes. Just imagine if the lines opted to quarantine everyone with a cold to protect a small percentage that might get really sick if infected! I submit that medical releases would identify many of those in dire straits before they boarded.

As an example, should multiple cruisers have to spend time in Covid Jail, because someone wants to celebrate finishing chemotherapy with a cruise and requires maximum protection? Most all of those with severely compromised immune systems, thus more susceptible to bad outcomes, know so before boarding. So do their physicians. It will be interesting to watch where this leads. The cruise lines can’t survive as is. Now for the screams and outrage! 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

We are with you pinotlover and are happy to share the outrage.

Having a 30 year old son who is extremely vulnerable we have made the decision to cruise. 
Why?

He is fully vaccinated. All 4 allowed by the UK.

He has had COVID and whilst he was poorly it was no worse than his ‘Normal ‘ Respiratory infections. 
We were told he’d be lucky to see 30. 

More importantly 

He loves to travel. His life is going to be short anyway and he has spent the last two years locked away from any form of life. 
He is fed up and wants to live and travel whilst he is able. He has some special needs and in his mind the risk is worth it. His medical team have said FLU  would have the same effect as COVID now and no one advised keeping him inside in the winter flu months.
Keeping him in the house would be cruel. 
Therefore after researching insurance and purchasing the best we could find we have booked. We have COVID insurance especially for cruising in each of the 5 countries will will be visiting. We have insurance for cancellation, being isolated in our cabins, missed or cancelled excursions, being airlifted off the ship etc etc etc  
We all wear masks when outside the house and will on the ship. 
Its a roll of the dice that we have decided to take.

Live the best life we can because it’s the only one we are going to get.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

58% of all Americans have had Covid at least once.-CDC

75% of all American kids have had Covid at least once - CDC

Maybe the time has come to realize that testing and mask wearing policies are not necessary (effective). Each person should be responsible for their own risk and health. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

we have a cruise booked but I can only see us going when and if Covid is managed as a normal cold -

But it's nothing like a normal cold, and we can't pretend it is!  More than 6 million people have left the Earth because of Covid.  And many formerly healthy people are living with long-Covid in a seemingly endless battle with fatigue, pain, and organ deterioration.  We can't wish it away.  We must all remain vigilant and take the measures proven effective, for all our sakes.  

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Robjame said:

Maybe the time has come to realize that testing and mask wearing policies are not necessary (effective). Each person should be responsible for their own risk and health. 

The CDC have no idea how many Americans have had Covid.Surely it’s just those reported.Not those that don’t report it and those that have no or very few symptoms.

• Like 1

‘The CDC have no idea how many Americans have had Covid.Surely it’s just those reported.Not those that don’t report it and those that have no or very few symptoms.’

New COVID-19 seroprevalence data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) show that the Omicron surge infected a huge swath of Americans, with overall seroprevalence rising from 33.5% in December of 2021 to 57.7% in February 2022. 

The data, which reflect the presence of SARS-CoV-2 antibodies in the blood, indicating a previous infection, were published today in Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

The increase was seen most dramatically in children. In kids ages 0 to 11, seroprevalence jumped from 44.2% to 75.2%, and in kids 12 to 17, it rose from 45.6% to 74.2%.

"As of February 2022, approximately 75% of children and adolescents had serologic evidence of previous infection with SARS-CoV-2, with approximately one third becoming newly seropositive since December 2021," the CDC and other US authors of the report said.

Seroprevalence studies can help detect infections that were asymptomatic or unreported. The antibodies detected are those produced only by natural infection—and not from vaccines.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/04/cdc-58-americans-have-had-covid-19

• Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, Debbers said:

How can you tell?  I am curious about our upcoming cruise.

We have a final payment coming due in a few weeks. My TA called last week to see if we plan on making it, and what we were doing about insurance.

She said they are seeing lots of cancellations as final payment or penalties hit. More people are concerned about Covid Jail than Covid itself and are canceling. 

Didn’t one poster, that just boarded the Marina, report only 300 aboard and called it an empty ship? That’s not sustainable! 

As final payment dates for October 22 cruises start hitting in the next month. Watch what happens to all those currently waitlisted cruises. Start looking at availability on the September cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robjame said:

The problem is  not all people are responsible 

As pointed out in this thread  those with cold like symptoms chose to ignore testing in case it was covid  thus  infecting others that were being responsible & now they are quarantined

• Like 5

Sadly all this speculation and "advice" is maybe fueling the cancellations, not helping the line we love. I understand people wanting to share facts and experience and others wanting to know. Hopefully O will survive, and  our first hand experience will help others make the best decisions for their families. Enjoy 

11 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

+1

I honestly don't see the benefit of putting people in quarantine on the ship because they tested positive. For the majority of the population, those people who have contracted Covid-19 will have mild to no symptoms if they are healthy and fully vaccinated and boosted. One needs to only look at current hospitilization and death rates.  For those with immune compromised systems and carry a higher risk, they should think twice about boarding the ship. 

We are choosing to cruise.  I'm more worried about being put in Covid jail than contracting Covid but it's a risk we're willing to take. Covid-19 will always be with us. It's not going to go away and we're not getting any younger.  If too many people choose not to cruise, the cruise lines will eventually go out of business and none of us want to see that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

The problem is  not all people are responsible 

As pointed out in this thread  those with cold like symptoms chose to ignore testing in case it was covid  thus  infecting others that were being responsible & now they are quarantined

The point I was trying to make is that if I am vaccinated and boosted, I know I may still contact Covid but am confident that it will be mild and I am ready to accept the risks as should everyone else who goes on a vaccinated cruise. 

Everyday I see people wearing single layer cloth masks, adjusting them, wearing them below their noses. This may be less effective than not wearing a mask at all.

• Like 2