Walgreens Rapid NAAT molecular test

PoppyBanks

I am going to be scheduling my Covid test for next week at approximately 72 hours prior to embarking in Vancouver. I am flying to Vancouver 34 hours later. Walgreens offers PCR sent to a lab and results in approximately 48 hours. They also have rapid antigen, but a third option is the NAAT molecular test with rapid results and it says “meets most pre-travel requirements.” 
I have had 3 Pfizer vaccines.

Have any of you used this testing option?

Many thanks…..

Edited by PoppyBanks

We have the rapid NAAT tests scheduled for tomorrow afternoon (Wednesday) for cruise leaving Saturday. Our Walgreens only offers this one and the PCR so antigen wasn’t an option for us. 

We took a PCR at Walgreens back in January and results took 3 days…didn’t want to chance not getting results in time before flying to Seattle. 

• Like 1

My worry is the 72 hour part of it. I am in eastern time zone and will be boarding in Anchorage (4 hours earlier time zone). So I need to test at 4:30 p.m. on a Sunday assuming a "scheduled boarding" of 12:30 on Wednesday. I am booked on Southbound Alaska cruise ending up in Vancouver. Canada indicates the 72 hour rule is from "scheduled boarding" and applies to ships either embarking in Canada or docking at any point in Canada (this of course docks at the end in Vancouver). Princess does not seem to interpret things per the Canada regulations, but who knows. 

The answer to the question posed by the OP is yes, the Walgreens Rapid NAAT molecular test is acceptable.  I verified it on both the HAL and Princess website.  They say:

Guests age 2 and older must be tested with a medically observed SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). 

Antigen tests include:

• Rapid antigen test 
  • Viral antigen test  
  • Antigen Chromatographic Digital Immunoassay 
  • Antigen Chemiluminescence Immunoassay  
  • Antigen Lateral Flow Fluorescence

NAAT include:

• PCR - Polymerase chain reaction  
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR   
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)  
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP) test  
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA) test  
  • Molecular test or molecular diagnostic test  
  • Isothermal amplification  
  • Droplet Digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)  
  • Clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeats (CRISPR)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

This is the question I'm concerned about.  We have the 2 vaccine shots and 1 booster shot.  My doctor recommended we wait until fall for the second booster shot.  I am eligible right now for that second booster.  My next cruise is in 30 days.

(Updated) What is considered "up to date" relative to COVID-19 vaccines?

Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible. Fully vaccinated guests are encouraged to visit the CDC's website  to determine when they are eligible for a booster.

Yes, we took the Walgreen's Rapid NAAT test four weeks ago.  My husband's results arrived by email in about 1.5 hours but mine didn't.  We had a backup appointment for a test 20 miles away at another chain in case this first appointment didn't go, so I wanted to be sure I had results from Walgreen's in hand before driving 20 miles.  We stopped by the Walgreen's where we were tested about 2 hours after the tests, and they printed the results for me; they apparently process them locally, at least at our local Walgreen's for that test, then send them to a place in Japan! for final processing.  Japan in turn emails results out.

Also, a friend of mine who took the same test last week didn't get his results quickly, but his parents did.  He waited til the next morning (he was still home) and then somehow contacted them and got the results.

So, my suggestion is, if you don't have the results in a couple of hours, try going by your W. where you had the test done and get them to print out results.

• Thanks 2

On 4/26/2022 at 7:39 AM, erber said:

My worry is the 72 hour part of it. I am in eastern time zone and will be boarding in Anchorage (4 hours earlier time zone). So I need to test at 4:30 p.m. on a Sunday assuming a "scheduled boarding" of 12:30  . . . 

Oh crap. I hadn’t even thought of the time difference! We have a similar situation. We live on the east coast. Boarding time of 1:40 on a Sunday in Anchorage. So I guess the earliest I can take the Walgreens test is 5:40 on the previous Thursday? But the last appointment time is 4:45.  And we’re flying to Anchorage early, leaving for the airport at 6:00 AM on Friday. I would really like to have our results befor catching the plane. Walgreen’s says the NAAT rapid results take 2 hours, but that’s cutting it close. We have a stockpile of eMed tests, though. So we’ll be traveling with 4 of those in case anything goes wrong. My only real worry is testing positive while sitting in an Anchorage hotel room. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Boarding NS on Wednesday in Quebec. Flying to Canada on Tuesday... I've always taken the Rapid NAAT from Walgreens two days before boarding a ship, but with labor day on Monday, can't find an appointment. I was under the impression the Rapid NAAT is a form of a PCR and could then fall under the 72 hour window... But not positive. Will I be good if I take the Rapid NAAT test Sunday afternoon for a Wednesday embarkation? 

13 hours ago, cwd79 said:

Boarding NS on Wednesday in Quebec. Flying to Canada on Tuesday... I've always taken the Rapid NAAT from Walgreens two days before boarding a ship, but with labor day on Monday, can't find an appointment. I was under the impression the Rapid NAAT is a form of a PCR and could then fall under the 72 hour window... But not positive. Will I be good if I take the Rapid NAAT test Sunday afternoon for a Wednesday embarkation? 

Your situation is governed by Canadian rules. I believe that you'll be fine - check the attached under the section "Pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing". You'll see that Canada requires a molecular test (of which there are many types - one of which is a NAAT test) up to 72 hours prior, or a rapid antigen test up to 2 days before embarkation.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise#pre-embarkation-test

FYI - you have it a bit reversed. A PCR test is only one form of a NAAT (Nucleic Acid Amplification Test). All PCR tests are NAATs, not all NAATs are PCR. Despite many attempts, I still have not been able to decipher what kind of test Walgreens' rapid NAAT is - best guess is an RT-LAMP.

Enjoy your cruise! 🍺🥌 

• Like 2

Thanks for the information. I wanted to report back based on my original question a few posts above, that I did the drive thru Walgreen Rapid NAAT test today 9/4/2022 for our cruise embarking on 9/7/2022. I got the results in a few hours and thankfully it was negative. I loaded the results into Verifly today and it was accepted. So, my concern that a Rapid NAAT might not be accepted at three days vs. the two days, apparently is unfounded since it was accepted at three days.