RCCL Cancelled The Key for our 5/16/22 Quantum Alaska Cruise - Why?

Just got a letter stating that our Key purchase is being cancelled for our upcoming cruise.  I am traveling with 5 other newbies to RCCL  I think not having The Key will impact our experience a bit.  I am upset that RCCL is doing this 19 days before the cruise.  They extended a $50 OBC; not enough to already be tainted at the level of service.  I wonder if others are also experience this cancellation.  I guess the silver lining is we can save some $$.  

Should I order the Internet pkg now or just wait until we get on board?  We are Emerald status and our 5 other friends are brand new to RCCL.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mrsberri0909 said:

Should I order the Internet pkg now or just wait until we get on board? 

Pre cruise is bound to be cheaper, especially compared to Key as you can now opt for a multi device package.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

They had the Keys for years now, what needs to be reevaluated at this point?

I can see the meeting at RCI now...

"Guys, we need to re-evaluate The Key"

"Ummmmm, we're getting $25/day or a lot more for a few things that cost us very little or nothing...we'd be idiots to give this up."

"Thanks everyone.  Meeting adjourned!!!!!"

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

This is happening on our Ovation of the Seas May 13 sailing and I booked the Key back in June last year.  I got this mostly for the internet, priority check-in, specialty dining on 1st day, and special times for shows/on board activities.  In that order, but to offer $50 OBC for - when the internet alone is costing $133 (for the "cheaper" non stream version 1 device 1 person) is crazy.  It is what it is..

3 minutes ago, Bethipoo said:

This is happening on our Ovation of the Seas May 13 sailing and I booked the Key back in June last year.  I got this mostly for the internet, priority check-in, specialty dining on 1st day, and special times for shows/on board activities.  In that order, but to offer $50 OBC for - when the internet alone is costing $133 (for the "cheaper" non stream version 1 device 1 person) is crazy.  It is what it is..

How much per day did you pay for The Key?  Remember you are getting back that amount plus the $50 per person OBC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Peak city said:

How much per day did you pay for The Key?  Remember you are getting back that amount plus the $50 per person OBC.

Yeah - I will get that back - but the Internet Packages are not as deeply discounted now as they previously were.  

• Like 1

It appears to me Voom had an overnight price increase.

Yesterday I noted that Voom S&S was $19.99 per day while The Key was $20.99 per day.  Just $1 between them.

Today I'm seeing Voom at $24.29 per day and The Key isn't offered for the same cruise as above.

I'm going to guess their satellite provider has jacked up the rates which has made it unprofitable to maintain The Key at previous rates.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Peak city said:

The refund could take up to 30 business days. Or in other words about 3 weeks after the cruise ended.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peak city said:

Someone else posted about this happening on a different ship/sailing.  They are reevaluating the program.  According to the letter they posted, the OBC is $50 PER PERSON. That seems pretty fair to me.

I missed the Per Person part - that makes it better...  for sure.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbdavis3951 said:

The refund could take up to 30 business days. Or in other words about 3 weeks after the cruise ended.

I have always received my cruise planner refunds within a day or two.  And if it was a purchase paid for with OBC, the refunded OBC appeared within minutes.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, twangster said:

It appears to me Voom had an overnight price increase.

Yesterday I noted that Voom S&S was $19.99 per day while The Key was $20.99 per day.  Just $1 between them.

Today I'm seeing Voom at $24.29 per day and The Key isn't offered for the same cruise as above.

I'm going to guess their satellite provider has jacked up the rates which has made it unprofitable to maintain The Key at previous rates.  

Or an accountant at Royal said " Hey if we charge $5 more per day for everyone that gets Zoom we can make a quick $5 more per day for everyone buying Zoom. Cha Ching !! Everyone okay with that?"

"Sure, not a problem for me go for it !! "  🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Or an accountant at Royal said " Hey if we charge $5 more per day for everyone that gets Zoom we can make a quick $5 more per day for everyone buying Zoom. Cha Ching !! Everyone okay with that?"

"Sure, not a problem for me go for it !! "  🙂

Royal does test the market to see what it will bear.  If adoption remains the same the new price sticks, if adoption wanes slightly that might mean more money, if adoptions drops they lose money.  

We the consumer decide, just like those now $3,500 cabanas.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, rudeney said:

Maybe The Key has been "too popular".   When everyone gets priority access, then no one has "priority".  

From what other people are saying it was just a couple of ships/dates that this letter went out to...other people are saying that they are still able to purchase The Key or have received confirmation on future sailings regarding their benefit.  

35 minutes ago, Bethipoo said:

From what other people are saying it was just a couple of ships/dates that this letter went out to...other people are saying that they are still able to purchase The Key or have received confirmation on future sailings regarding their benefit.  

Yes, I see that it is still available in the Cruise Planner for our Oct. sailing on Voyager.  It is odd, though, that they are actually cancelling previous purchases.  If it's a capacity issue, it would seem they would just set a limit on how many are available.  In that case, what I said about it being "too popular" is likely not the reason.🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1