Discovery Princess April 29th Coastal

ceilidh1

@ceilidh1:

I just want to say how much I've enjoyed your postings. You have excellent powers of observation and description, you take great pictures, and you have a nice sense of humor. I hope you'll keep doing these again on all your future cruises. Thanks!

• Like 3

I think my dinner request got lost in translation. I ordered Surf and Turf but without the “surf” and requested the Calamari and pork belly risotto as a side but without the calamari. This is what I got. It was still delicious, but it made me chuckle!

2473CD5D-9DA8-4CD6-8899-013BF0695509.jpeg

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2022 at 3:40 PM, ceilidh1 said:

I think it will be our last princess cruise. Not that there is anything wrong with the other CDs but it just doesn’t seem right. He was the primary reason we continued with princess - now other lines appeal to us.

if

you choose to one day return to sail

the Princess Fleet on The Majestic, Sky, Enchanted and Discovery

perhaps 

try the cabins Dolphin 701-710

the stateroom is exactly the same as your current stateroom and the balconies are three times the size, partially covered, with foot stools for the chairs.

Enjoy remainder of cruise and safe journey home.

• Like 2

In the princess theatre tonight was magician David Gatti. Now the logical part of my brain knows this is al slight of hand and illusion, but the child in me truly  believes magic is happening! This guy blew my mind!

• Like 4

We’re starting to wind down for the night as morning will come early and be busy. I thought I’d throw my thoughts in here as a way of getting it all straight in my head.

This was an excellent cruise from start to finish. Very happy right now. So any critiques below are minor and did not affect our enjoyment. 

Highlights

This is a beautiful ship. Absolutely now our favorite ship across any line for the decor. Enough that feels like Princess, but unique too. Sleek, modern and elegant all in one. Great artwork. 

Lots of places to use for different purposes. To have a drink, to read, to have fun, to listen to music.  That may be a bit different when the ship is more than 60% capacity but the spaces are still there.

The entertainment was excellent. From productions shows to smaller venues, we enjoyed everything we saw and heard.

Food in the restaurants was also excellent. We ate MDR, Crown Grill and Sabatini’s and it was all good.

The crew was amazingly friendly and helpful.  We got more hellos and offers of help on the cruise than probably any other previous Princess cruise.

And ordering drinks on the app and having them delivered to you worked really, really well for us. Probably too well.

Misses

This is probably the same for all Royal class ships, but I hate the layout of the buffet. (We’ve cruised on every non-Royal class Princess ship at least once but somehow never a Royal class ship). There were long lines from inefficient design. You were guessing which side to enter and hoping that was the side that was open to the lines and not roped off. Minorly irritating.

The staff were significantly inexperienced on allergens compared to our previous experience. Including issues when tongs or utensils were missing, just grabbing utensils from other areas. E.g grabbing gluten free bread from under its cover with tongs from regular bread. To some extent that’s on us.  We had grown used to staff having more experience and we didn’t want to bug the chef every time in the buffet. But I would recommend, you need to bug the chef every time. The chefs all knew what they were doing. The rest of the staff are learning.  No actual issues occurred so we’re fine and happy. Just passing on the lesson learned.

Nice Touches and Nitpicks

For the completely ridiculous portion of the post.  I like the USB charging ports in the lamps next to the beds. I hate the position of the toilet paper under the counter that always seems to cause you to rip off only one or two squares.  I like that guest services is now out of the immediate piazza area which improves traffic at busy times.  I hate that the Privacy notice has to be set on the panel outside (meaning being somewhat dressed in case someone walks by).  I like the more limited space for the art and photo areas from a flow perspective.  And I hate the app - even though it worked better for us than many others it has a long, long way to go.

But those are all so small things that I needed to get off my chest.  The bottom line is - find a reason to sail on this ship.  The ship and the crew were amazing. No regrets. Great vacation. Wish we could stay on.

Edited by tiggerrr
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 5

@tiggerrri pretty much agree with EVERYTHING you said! I was a little worried after reading so many negative posts about this ship but, honestly, I have zero complaints. Well, I would complain about the app but that has nothing to do with the ship/sailing!

Entertainment was amazing! My only complaint here was that everything I wanted to see/do was on at the same time…but that is a GREAT problem to have!

Food was great - only ate at dining room, buffet, Gigis, and international cafe. No misses and Gigis (Alfredo’s) continues to be my favourite place to eat!

Staff very friendly- not one would pass without saying hello. At the buffet we were constantly asked if we needed drinks and our plates were whisked away moments after the last bite! Barstaff were outstanding!

Toilet paper holder is ridiculous. Worst design ever. Shower surprised me - not much water pressure and couldn’t get it hot enough for my liking. Also surprised by the creaking and vibration on a rough sea day - didn’t expect this on a new ship. But these are minor things.

Overall, a great trip. The one down side was expecting to see Matt O walk down the hall and then realizing he no longer works for Princess! The cruise staff did a great job!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

A great last night onboard! After the magician, I headed to Princess Live for Majority Rules game show, karaoke, and my all time favourite trivia/game show “Hollywood Hiccups.” It didn’t disappoint- if you’ve never seen this, be sure to check it out if you get the chance!

To round off the night we ordered room service and watched some old classic tv shows!

8919AE5B-3327-4CD8-92AE-38F6B33B7BCA.jpeg

8352C345-2D4B-42BE-A68E-F2AC430EFDB9.jpeg

A27941EA-F2EB-4619-A0DB-0A9195CA6EFA.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I agree, the toilet paper holder on the discovery is too far away from the toilet!  We ended up taking it off the holder and putting it on the shelf.  Every day the steward would put it back!  Design flaw for sure.  The clamp was annoying too.

I was watching a show on HGTV last night (Unsellable houses) and the toilet paper holder seemed far from the toilet.  The twins said "Guess who designed this?"  Both said "A man!"  (I assume because men don't use as much as women and also have longer arms). I immediately thought of this complaint on Discovery Princess 😀

Edited by dickinson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Back to reality....

I was rudely awakened around 1am by an announcement from the bridge calling for security to proceed to the Vista Lounge. No idea what that was about. Luckily, I got back to sleep and enjoyed my last night of the Princess bed. We grabbed a quick breakfast (my last freshly made crepe) at the buffet and then collected our bags from the room and made our way to deck 7. We had Walk Off group 6, with a time of 8:35am. As Elite, our lounge area was Bistro Sur La Mer. We got down there at 8:25am and were told that all walk off were cleared to leave. We left the ship at 8:30am and just walked right through - no customs/immigration (love this), no passport check, no ArriveCan check. After a short walk, we were back in our house by 8:43am! 

I just completed the post-cruise survey - all very positive with the exception of letting Princess know exactly how I feel about their app! I did end up getting two more FCDs so it is likely we will sail Princess again at some point, but not until they either fix or ditch the app.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So, just sitting at the Maple Leaf lounge at YVR with a Bloody Caesar to extend my trip ever so slightly. 

The cruise was great, with only very slight hiccups.  I’d still rate it a 10 out of 10.  The staff was awesome, the entertainment was phenomenal, food was great!  
I think everyone can agree that the ship is drop dead gorgeous .. but I agree with the toilet paper holder placement.  Aside from that, our room was noisy at night with music from the deck below with canned music but a quick note for the crew chat fixed that very quickly.  
If I have not already mentioned it on this thread, the in transit passengers were taken through a quick and organized process to get off and reboard the ship.  Disembarkation was a breeze … no customs / border control until you get to the airport.  The taxi lines are set up nicely as well upon disembarkation.  The ride to the airport was about $30 USD without tip.  
All in all, it was a very lovely trip! 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

So, just sitting at the Maple Leaf lounge at YVR with a Bloody Caesar to extend my trip ever so slightly. 

The cruise was great, with only very slight hiccups.  I’d still rate it a 10 out of 10.  The staff was awesome, the entertainment was phenomenal, food was great!  
I think everyone can agree that the ship is drop dead gorgeous .. but I agree with the toilet paper holder placement.  Aside from that, our room was noisy at night with music from the deck below with canned music but a quick note for the crew chat fixed that very quickly.  
If I have not already mentioned it on this thread, the in transit passengers were taken through a quick and organized process to get off and reboard the ship.  Disembarkation was a breeze … no customs / border control until you get to the airport.  The taxi lines are set up nicely as well upon disembarkation.  The ride to the airport was about $30 USD without tip.  

It was great meeting you guys. As you cruise a lot on Princess hopefully we can meet again. Safe travels.

Mark and Julie

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Thanks for the info on the taxi ride to YVR. Trying to decide if it makes sense to use Princess transfer to the airport in a few weeks.

14 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Thanks for the info on the taxi ride to YVR. Trying to decide if it makes sense to use Princess transfer to the airport in a few weeks.

We've always taken a taxi and found them to be less expensive than the transfers.  Plus, you are able to go when you want rather than waiting for the bus to fill.  

18 hours ago, markjvanb said:

It was great meeting you guys. As you cruise a lot on Princess hopefully we can meet again. Safe travels.

Mark and Julie

It was so fun visiting with you and Julie as well.  We had a great trip home to SFO and got home to absolutely gorgeous weather.  Now, onto the getting all the chores ... almost time to get ready for our next adventure.  Hope to meet up with you both again soon!!  

On 5/4/2022 at 10:32 AM, ceilidh1 said:

Back to reality....

I was rudely awakened around 1am by an announcement from the bridge calling for security to proceed to the Vista Lounge. No idea what that was about. Luckily, I got back to sleep and enjoyed my last night of the Princess bed. We grabbed a quick breakfast (my last freshly made crepe) at the buffet and then collected our bags from the room and made our way to deck 7. We had Walk Off group 6, with a time of 8:35am. As Elite, our lounge area was Bistro Sur La Mer. We got down there at 8:25am and were told that all walk off were cleared to leave. We left the ship at 8:30am and just walked right through - no customs/immigration (love this), no passport check, no ArriveCan check. After a short walk, we were back in our house by 8:43am! 

I just completed the post-cruise survey - all very positive with the exception of letting Princess know exactly how I feel about their app! I did end up getting two more FCDs so it is likely we will sail Princess again at some point, but not until they either fix or ditch the app.

While waiting to disembark a few of us heard the same announcement at 1:15am. Someone said there was a physical altercation between a man and a woman, not necessarily a couple. Both were heavily intoxicated and there was an injury. IDK how true this is but this person claimed to be there. 

• Like 1