Discovery Princess April 29th Coastal

ceilidh1

31 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’re really moving on the ocean … not the worst I’ve ever experienced but for a ship this size, I’m really surprised how much movement we can feel even midship and down low.  We are not feeling seasick but just so nice to stay in our cabin and order room service.  

Same! The movement isn’t an issue, but I was surprised! We’ve done this route a bunch of times and I think this is the most movement I’ve felt! Also, there were some alarming sounds in the elevators - I think I might take the stairs until the seas calm down! Lol. In the theatre there was lots of loud banging, too.

Tonight’s production show was Rock Opera. Remember how I said that seeing Spotlight Bar was worth coming on the cruise for? Well, Rock Opera just made it doubly worth it! Outstanding show! Even more impressive that they could strut their stuff with all this movement. I could barely stay in my seat and they are up on stage jumping and twirling! 

DDA14687-AC4B-40A6-9923-53F9620CFB6F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Raider said:

We’re really moving on the ocean … not the worst I’ve ever experienced but for a ship this size, I’m really surprised how much movement we can feel even midship and down low.  We are not feeling seasick but just so nice to stay in our cabin and order room service.  

We're on Riviera and lots of movement up here. Had a great time in Take Five by the window wave watching with drinks served by Sandeep. Other people saw dolphins jumping in the waves!

And of course Mamossas served by Artur this afternoon made the day. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting, looks like you have had a great trip. I too really enjoyed Rock Opera.  If I understood correctly in your posting. it seems you may be from Canada and so do not have to fly home.  But have you seen or heard about any pre-disembarkation testing onboard for those  needing it to fly home to the US or elsewhere? Will  be on Majestic soon.  Thanks

9 hours ago, tonit964 said:

I was on the Discovery 4/17. If anyone is a Jazz fan, the House Band in Take Five is so much better then the Larry King Trio. If you know, you know. 😉

I know exactly what you are talking about!  We know the drummer in the house and band and they are so much more enjoyable to listen to!  Hopefully they are the Take 5 band for our 5/22 sailing. 

I did notice a long gap in performances in Take5. They play from 8:30 to 9:15 and then not again until 10:45. We love to hang out at Take5 all night but there is a long gap here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I know exactly what you are talking about!  We know the drummer in the house and band and they are so much more enjoyable to listen to!  Hopefully they are the Take 5 band for our 5/22 sailing. 

I did notice a long gap in performances in Take5. They play from 8:30 to 9:15 and then not again until 10:45. We love to hang out at Take5 all night but there is a long gap here. 

Just an FYI- on my sailing, sometimes they played at 6:45 as well so keep an eye out for that. We were so bummed the last night of the cruise because the patter showed the LKT playing all night, so we didn't plan on going, when we walked through, it was the House Band. We stayed and listened for the remaining 10 minutes of their set but were mad the Patter listed it incorrectly. The drummer is awesome! They all are and I had a little crush on the trumpet player. 😊

Have a great time on your cruise!

3 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Thanks for posting, looks like you have had a great trip. I too really enjoyed Rock Opera.  If I understood correctly in your posting. it seems you may be from Canada and so do not have to fly home.  But have you seen or heard about any pre-disembarkation testing onboard for those  needing it to fly home to the US or elsewhere? Will  be on Majestic soon.  Thanks

Pie are flying home to the US tomorrow afternoon.  We were just notified of the necessary testing for today in the Ketchikan dining room around noon.  Our results will be delivered to us later today.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

It was included on the form for selecting your disembarkation time.  You also checked a box for whether you needed a pre-departure test or not for returning to the US

Seas are calmer this morning. Still a little movement but not as much as yesterday. Breakfast at Skagway dining room:

Smoked Salmon bagel with a side of bacon and hash brown 

Blueberry pancakes

Note: we have been seated at a table for 2 next to a window every meal we have had in a dining room! We have had no issues and no waits so maybe that whole snafu has been fixed?!

91217309-9EE4-410C-82D2-9B6EF297147D.jpeg

B926B2E1-97A4-49B2-B646-CAD044ABE76F.jpeg

28646FAB-8009-4090-B21D-FBCCE299AF96.jpeg

• Like 2

On 5/1/2022 at 9:51 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Showtime this evening was Darren Dowler. Despite my kids constantly telling me I’m old, I was far too young for his show as I didn’t know any of the songs or bands (well, maybe 2 or 3). He was a great singer and may have been a great vocal impressionist - since I didn’t know what the original singers sounded like I couldn’t tell! After the show, I listened to karaoke, grabbed DS from kids club and called it a night!

At 60, I’m often too “young” for the vocal entertainers they have on Princess. Most of the impressions are lost on me as well. 

13 hours ago, atexsix said:

Those that are on this sailing, has there been any live chamber/classical music?

I'm not on the ship, @atexsix, and I am interested in any on-site reports.

In my experience of about 20 west coast Princess Cruises, the only ones that have had a dedicated group such as a string quartet or a piano trio have been the round-trips to Hawaii.  On multiple Mexico, Coastal or Alaska cruises I might have encountered a solo pianist who would blend in some Mozart and Strauss ("Blue Danube," usually) with pop selections.

Interesting story.  We were walking around on embarkation day for a Mexico cruise.  As we were passing the Explorers Lounge I noticed the party band on the stage.  A few steps later I stopped dead.  The keyboardist was playing the 3rd movement of the "Waldstein Sonata."  Nobody would confuse him for Alfred Brendel, but it was so cool hearing it.  Apparently, the band was on stage for a sound check, and when the keyboardist was asked by the sound engineer to play a solo, that was what he played.

15 hours ago, atexsix said:

Those that are on this sailing, has there been any live chamber/classical music?

There is a string duo that plays around the ship, a really good solo guitarist, a pianist, a house jazz band, the band Meridian who are great, and AJ Clarke in Crooners.

In my next career as cruise ship designer, I’m going to have to address the location of the toilet paper holder in the cabin bathroom! Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that having the toilet paper hidden under the counter opposite the toilet (just out of reach of being able to comfortably sit and grab a sheet) is maybe not the best idea? The tissue paper is right there next to the toilet, so guess what first instinct is? On that note, what’s with the metal cover in the toilet paper holder? It clamps down and each time you pull the paper you get one sheet break off!!! I suspect whomever designed this has never actually sailed in one of these cabins! Lol!

F2ADE16C-6430-4768-AA95-CD95415FD147.jpeg

03316CF3-DAB8-4F8C-A5C2-B87CA6FAA9B9.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

56 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

In my next career as cruise ship designer, I’m going to have to address the location of the toilet paper holder in the cabin bathroom! Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that having the toilet paper hidden under the counter opposite the toilet (just out of reach of being able to comfortably sit and grab a sheet) is maybe not the best idea? The tissue paper is right there next to the toilet, so guess what first instinct is? On that note, what’s with the metal cover in the toilet paper holder? It clamps down and each time you pull the paper you get one sheet break off!!! I suspect whomever designed this has never actually sailed in one of these cabins! Lol!

56 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I agree, the toilet paper holder on the discovery is too far away from the toilet!  We ended up taking it off the holder and putting it on the shelf.  Every day the steward would put it back!  Design flaw for sure.  The clamp was annoying too.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

I agree, the toilet paper holder on the discovery is too far away from the toilet!  We ended up taking it off the holder and putting it on the shelf.  Every day the steward would put it back!  Design flaw for sure.  The clamp was annoying too.

It’s been 5 days and it NEVER occurred to me to take it off the holder. Sigh. Next time…

• Like 1

Enjoyable morning attending trivia (this cruise the trivia has been WAY too easy - if I can get more than half the questions correct then it’s too easy, believe me!). My DS abandoned me again for kids club so I was flying solo. I had naively thought this would be a nice opportunity to spend some one on one time with him. Nice thought. He wants no part of that! Lol. Dragged him out for lunch - I suggested dining room. He wanted pizza. Forced him to hang out with me for an hour and we played card games at Good Spirits bar (I may or may not have sampled some new-to-me cocktails). He then scurried back kids club for the afternoon. My goal this afternoon is to take some pictures of the ship (hopefully many will get off in Victoria so it won’t look as full), pack the majority of our stuff, and have a relaxing last evening! Tonight is surf and turf in the dining room - planning on ordering it without the surf…

• Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 10:39 PM, ceilidh1 said:

We watched the comedian Kevin Jordan this evening. He was ok. Some of his stuff was funny, some went a bit too far, and some just wasn’t funny at all. Not the best but not the worst!

We also caught the end of a few trivia type game shows in Princess Live which were fun. Finally, we visited the shops as we had strict orders from the teen (who refused to miss school to cruise) to find a new Stanley Bear (we have every one so far) and a Discovery ornament. Sadly, the shops have nothing in stock…

I also wanted a Discovery ornament.  They did not have any in stock on the inaugural cruise but I would have thought that they’d have them by now. Hopefully when they are in stock someone will let us know in a post.