Edge Transatlantic Testing positive for Covid

bananavan

Don’t no why banana’s husband was denied vegetables.    We have seen the photos of meals offered in room service and have definitely seen photos of salad and broccoli and broccolini.   It’s not right that this gentleman was singled out for this treatment especially since he was in a suite and could also order from Luminae

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Nashna said:

There is no place like home.  I hope time will help heal all you have endured, and you are soon laughing about your adventures as a sea based..."Charlie on the MTA".  Stay well and thank you for sharing.

Woof! That is a very, very old reference. 🙂

"He'll be riding round the streets of Boston...." 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Don’t no why banana’s husband was denied vegetables.    We have seen the photos of meals offered in room service and have definitely seen photos of salad and broccoli and broccolini.   It’s not right that this gentleman was singled out for this treatment especially since he was in a suite and could also order from Luminae

stateroom status doesnt seem to matter when in isolation! Service varies ship to ship, and I guess with the numbers they are dealing with. The reality is this ISNT a free cruise or an even semi pleasant experience as some have suggested.  Thats why the majority dont report unless they really need medical intervention.

Its all a nonsense really. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I think this is one of the main problems with the quarantine. There is no head office ruling as such so each ship/captain has its own rules. Therefore some suite guests can order from any menu, some only from room service. Some passengers get a balcony some an ocean view. Some partners of positive passengers can go masked to the buffet and eat in cabin some can only order room service. 

Some get lots of medical check ups some none at all. 

so it is difficult to make an informed decision whether to cruise when you don’t actually know what you are actually dealing with. 

what is desperately needed on all ships is some kind of quarantine manager to deal with these passengers, ensuring they get fed etc. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

On 5/20/2022 at 3:31 AM, bananavan said:

For everyone who has been so supportive and kind, I finally tested negative. Our bags are packed

I'm normally just a lurker, but have been with your posts from the beginning & am REALLY glad it's finally coming to an end.  Let us know when you're home safe & sound.

I'm sure many are indebted to you for opening their eyes to what testing positive could mean in the current environment so they can do a better risk eval for their own cruises.  Thank you.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Nashna said:

There is no place like home.  I hope time will help heal all you have endured, and you are soon laughing about your adventures as a sea based..."Charlie on the MTA".  Stay well and thank you for sharing.

LOL.  Need to have grown up near Boston to understand this reference.😀

• Like 1

@bananavan So happy to hear you are negative.  Right now this thread is a cliffhanger, so please update us on your safe return home!  On another note, you both have 90 days of immunity like we had (about at that mark and according to my doctor).  So oddly, you are super safe to travel now through July! 😂 

19 minutes ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I still find it unbelievable that bananas husband was denied vegetables and salad.   What if he was a vegan or vegetarian?  Would he have been denied any food.

Bannavan can confirm I'm sure, but it was not that he was specifically denied vegetables, it was just that he was initially ordering only from the room service menu, and that menu is very limited when it comes to cooked vegetables.

Later after he was provided with other menus things improved...

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:03 PM, bnurick said:

@bananavan So happy to hear you are negative.  Right now this thread is a cliffhanger, so please update us on your safe return home!  On another note, you both have 90 days of immunity like we had (about at that mark and according to my doctor).  So oddly, you are super safe to travel now through July! 😂 

So sorry I have been MIA. 
We had one hell of a return to the USA, but we are finally home. 
The Rome airport is a nightmare for many right now. 
If I might recommend doing what we had ORIGINALLY planned to do. arrange your flights for the day after you disembark. 
So many ships showed up in Civitavechia yesterday and everyone was trying to return to the USA. (for the most part) 
Even if you have the Certificate of Recovery, make certain that you also have the document from your FIRST positive test. 
The Certificate of Recovery states all of that , but you also must show the first test. 
Take a photo of it on your electronic device to show at the airport. 
But my recommendation is stay at home until the World and the USA have adapted to this situation. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

Bannavan can confirm I'm sure, but it was not that he was specifically denied vegetables, it was just that he was initially ordering only from the room service menu, and that menu is very limited when it comes to cooked vegetables.

Later after he was provided with other menus things improved...

Thank you for your support. 
That is exactly what I meant. 
NO, THEY DID NOT WITHHOLD VEGETABLES! 
The Room Service menu is bleak at best. 
Try that for two meals a day for an unlimited time. 
But when it is the only thing that is offered, it is dreadful. 
AND when it is embarkation day, as it is every 7 days, the room service hours are limited. 

On 5/20/2022 at 9:05 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I do detect sarcasm fairly well,  and you are extremely sarcastic. 

I will pray for you. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I still find it unbelievable that bananas husband was denied vegetables and salad.   What if he was a vegan or vegetarian?  Would he have been denied any food.

You seem abnormally attached to the whole vegetable thing. 
Much of what I have said seems unbelievable to you. 

Just now, Iamthesea said:

Would love to know what your first meal was once off the ship.  Airport and at home.  😉

the meal on the Delta flight home was amazing. 
The salad was cold and crisp. The soup was nourishing. The main meal of Short rib was delicious and hot. 
The kindness was priceless. 
I made a ham soup out of food that I had already in my freezer for supper tonight, 

• Like 11

Glad the food on Delta was great.  We will be on an overnight flight in July to LHR.

Cooking and ham soup...nope!  I would be having DH take me out for the best steak, veggies, and salad around town!!!  No cooking for this wife until at least a couple of days after vacation is over.  Home cooked meals to follow after a trip to the store. 😃

• Like 1

@bananavan  just wanted to pipe in to thank you so much for your posts.  I’ve followed along but didn’t like to comment.  It’s interesting to read what you went through and I’m glad you’re home safe now.  We had a 50 day cruise booked for this Fall and have cancelled it.  Just not worth it to us to chance it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, canadianbear said:

@bananavan  just wanted to pipe in to thank you so much for your posts.  I’ve followed along but didn’t like to comment.  It’s interesting to read what you went through and I’m glad you’re home safe now.  We had a 50 day cruise booked for this Fall and have cancelled it.  Just not worth it to us to chance it. 

We have a World Cruise planned for January 2023.  It was for 100 days.  it will be canceled this week after I have made my insurance claims for the past month. 
We have taken two other World Cruises in the past five years. 
Those days have ended for us as a result of our experience. 
I had the flu off the coast of Australia in 2018. The ship carried Tamiflu. 
I took it. I had five days of quarantine. I had two visits a day from the Hazmat team who cleaned our suite.
I had two physical visits daily from the Medical staff. 
When my temperature dropped and I was feeling better, I was released and was permitted to continue the cruise. 
The total lack of communication as to what to expect was deplorable during this cruise. 
I met two gentlemen at the ITA lounge yesterday. 
I had first met them when they were boarding in Civitavecchia two weeks ago. 
I spoke to them a number of times when I was still able to move around the ship. 
They told me that they had tested positive the night before they were to disembark  the ship. 
Knowing what I told them helped them decide what to do. They had a difficult time finding a hotel in the Rome area. After a few hours they found one on a beach where they isolated. 
They tested negative and were able to fly home. 
So to those who still feel compelled to focus on the unbelievability of my story, take a walk in my shoes. 
And to those who have believed my reality and made changes as a result, I thank you for your support. 

• Like 20

11 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

Glad the food on Delta was great.  We will be on an overnight flight in July to LHR.

Cooking and ham soup...nope!  I would be having DH take me out for the best steak, veggies, and salad around town!!!  No cooking for this wife until at least a couple of days after vacation is over.  Home cooked meals to follow after a trip to the store. 😃

My husband is emotionally drained. 
This trip was to help us heal after cancer surgery and the fears that come with that. 
He should have been able to rest and recover but this nightmare made that impossible. 
There was no place to even walk, let alone exercise. 

And before the pile drivers jump on, he was medically cleared to travel. 

On 5/14/2022 at 5:45 PM, STLCRUISIN said:

Keep in mind though that the airlines will not allow you fly for 10 days from the positive test (with the test date as day 0).

Do you know how the airlines would know you tested positive? What if I test positive on day zero, and then test negative on day 5. How would the airline prevent me from flying on day 5?  Thanks in advance. (Still trying to figure this out just in case...)

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bananavan said:

My husband is emotionally drained. 
This trip was to help us heal after cancer surgery and the fears that come with that. 
He should have been able to rest and recover but this nightmare made that impossible. 
There was no place to even walk, let alone exercise. 

And before the pile drivers jump on, he was medically cleared to travel. 

I can totally understand how your husband would be emotionally drained.  We took our son on a week cruise after his cancer treatments to relax and recover (years ago now) and that is what a cruise should be.  Not filled with anxiety and stress.   It was no walk in the park for you either.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MDTrip said:

Do you know how the airlines would know you tested positive? What if I test positive on day zero, and then test negative on day 5. How would the airline prevent me from flying on day 5?  Thanks in advance. (Still trying to figure this out just in case...)

Your negative test will get you on a plane. 
Yesterday at JFK I spoke with a young man who told me that he had gone to Mexico for Spring break last month. 
He had no idea he needed a negative test to return home. 
He purchased one outside of the airport before boarding. 
By that I mean, it was NOT his test, but he was able to purchase one that was accepted by the airline. 
Testing negative by Day 5 would be unlikely but it might point to the first test being false positive. 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:03 PM, Lastdance said:

Evana, just to clarify, in no way was I being irreverent to you when I mentioned to someone what plans my husband and I were making for our b2b in October.  Our concierge doctor is a wealth of information regarding Covid, so having his knowledge beforehand and meds is very important to us, not to mention if we need his connections.  I have been following your thread and others to glean must needed information for our trip because I think it is very important to know and understand what could happen.  You are sharing valuable information, things that I would have never thought of by myself.  I am so thankful for this, and only wish you well, as previously stated.  Learning from you and your ongoing experiences has been eye-opening to say the least.  Thank you so much for sharing.  I wish you only the best, hoping that things steadily improve for you both, along with others who are also in this awful situation.  The decision to cruise during these times should never be taken lightly; planning for a cruise has become so much more difficult...thank you!

By the way, I tried to contact my Concierge dr on Thursday. 
I was despondent about testing positive with no end in sight. 
Did he have any suggestions that might help me test negative? A nasal lavage? Perhaps some OTC meds that I might have packed. 

Well, my Dr was out of town for the past two weeks.
He was out of the country and did not have access to normal communications. 
His office manager suggested that I get Vicks nasal spray. 
I informed her that not only did I not have access to Vicks, I did not have access to the outside of my cabin. 
Did the Dr have someone who was covering for him? 
Well, yes, but that person would have no knowledge of my medical history. 
WHAT? Where the hell is this cover? 
That is ANOTHER call that will be on the agenda for tomorrow. 
I had fired out previous Dr last Fall because I was fed up with not being listened to. 
I had great hopes for this one but that does not seem to be likely. 

• Like 1