Which World Cruise do you recommend?

islandwoman

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Guinness1000 said:

Anyone here familiar with Azamara? I read some pretty bad reviews, sadly.

I have not yet sailed Azamara, but have three b2b cruises booked for next year.  I'm considering cancelling them because of shoreside issues.  I would like to read those reviews.  Please post a link to them.

19 minutes ago, islandwoman said:

I have not yet sailed Azamara, but have three b2b cruises booked for next year.  I'm considering cancelling them because of shoreside issues.  I would like to read those reviews.  Please post a link to them.

I don't think we're allowed to post links to websites, but I read them on a site that rhymes with bruises...  It was for Azamara Onward. It also says New Ship, but I think that one is an old Princess ship, so I'm a little confused. Loved the itinerary though.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Guinness1000 said:

I don't think we're allowed to post links to websites, but I read them on a site that rhymes with bruises...  It was for Azamara Onward. It also says New Ship, but I think that one is an old Princess ship, so I'm a little confused. Loved the itinerary though.

The ship was built in 1999 for Renaissance Cruises and then was the Pacific Princess for awhile.  It was acquired by Azamara in 2022.  So, "new" to Azamara but really about 23 years old.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Guinness1000 said:

Azamara Onward is new to Azamara, but she is about 22 or 23 yrs old. She was one of the R-Class ships of bankrupt Renaissance Cruises, then was operated by Princess as Pacific Princess for a number of years.

Another factor to consider is Azamara was recently purchased by an investment firm that I don't recall has any previous experience owning and operating ships.

• Like 1

We are booked on Azamara's World Cruise 2024. We have sailed many times on Princess. Celebrity and Azamara. We really like the small ship experience.

Azamara can dock in smaller ports that larger ships can't. For example Ho Chi Minh City. It docks right downtown.

We are presently sailing on the Onward (their ship they are using for the World cruise) and having a wonderful time. 

Great food, fabulous crew, entertainment.

I can't say I notice anything different from the old Azamara. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 7:16 AM, Guinness1000 said:

I just looked at Azamara's 2025 world cruise and they have a really great port to sea day ratio. Like 108 days or so in port for a 155 day cruise. Anyone here familiar with Azamara? I read some pretty bad reviews, sadly.

Just returned from Azamara Pursuit - we tried it with a view to booking a World Cruise on Azamara.  I'm glad we tried it - we won't book a WC and are still looking for a suitable ship for us.  The ship is lovely, the staff fantastic, the food is delicious.  The entertainment is a let down.  The ship is old and creeks when at sea - all night every night, and I'm a light sleeper.  The major drawback for me was the three nights we had (2 of) 5 meter and an 8 meter swell.  We sailed the Med and I have done the med and crossings before and not had a problem on bigger ships with stabilizers but I was not well on this older, smaller ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/20/2022 at 3:18 AM, Janet&Carl said:

Just returned from Azamara Pursuit - we tried it with a view to booking a World Cruise on Azamara.  I'm glad we tried it - we won't book a WC and are still looking for a suitable ship for us.  The ship is lovely, the staff fantastic, the food is delicious.  The entertainment is a let down.  The ship is old and creeks when at sea - all night every night, and I'm a light sleeper.  The major drawback for me was the three nights we had (2 of) 5 meter and an 8 meter swell.  We sailed the Med and I have done the med and crossings before and not had a problem on bigger ships with stabilizers but I was not well on this older, smaller ship. 

Wow. Thank you so much for posting. I think right now it looks like HAL or Oceania for us. Waiting for HAL to post their -25 itinerary. 🙂

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/18/2022 at 1:16 PM, Guinness1000 said:

I just looked at Azamara's 2025 world cruise and they have a really great port to sea day ratio. Like 108 days or so in port for a 155 day cruise.

I just wish that Azamara's "World Cruise" actually sailed all of the way around the world.  Starting in San Diego and ending in Southampton does not seem like a world cruise to me.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2023 at 10:42 AM, islandwoman said:

I just wish that Azamara's "World Cruise" actually sailed all of the way around the world.  Starting in San Diego and ending in Southampton does not seem like a world cruise to me.

I agree. But I guess the figure it's on the world and it's a cruise.  Cunard plays fast and loose with their descriptions of a world cruise.

To me a world cruise is when I embark at a port, sail all the way around the world, and then disembark several months later at that same port.

• Like 3

On 1/15/2023 at 7:42 AM, islandwoman said:

May I suggest you need to determine what is your primary interest in considering a World Cruise.

If the primary interest is sailing entirely around the World, then one of the mainstream mega ships is your best bet, unless wanting to spend 180+ days. The mega ships circumnavigate the World in about 100 days, whereas Azamara, Viking, etc only do about 3/4 in 120 - 140 days. To achieve this feat in just over 100 days you get less time in port and the port/sea days ratio is biased towards sea days.

When you primary interest is seeing more of the World, with numerous ports having overnights and some with 2 overnights, your choice is taking 180+ days to circumnavigate the globe, or doing about 3/4 in 120 to 130 days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

May I suggest you need to determine what is your primary interest in considering a World Cruise.,,,,...

When you primary interest is seeing more of the World, with numerous ports having overnights and some with 2 overnights, your choice is taking 180+ days to circumnavigate the globe, or doing about 3/4 in 120 to 130 days.

OK.  I choose "seeing more of the World, with numerous ports having overnights" by taking 180+ days to circumnavigate the globe.  Which cruise lines do that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islandwoman said:

OK.  I choose "seeing more of the World, with numerous ports having overnights" by taking 180+ days to circumnavigate the globe.  Which cruise lines do that?

I suggest checking out Viking and Oceania. Viking sails westwards, which is my preference, as i prefer clox going backwards for the 25 hr days. Oceania is steaming east, so clox are moved forward, so 23 hr days.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 1/15/2023 at 10:42 AM, islandwoman said:

Oceania  does   begin & end in the same USA port  or you extend  to another US port

they use the same size  ship as Azamara

• Thanks 1

Choosing a world cruise is a daunting task and one needs to weigh your priorities.  Complete circumnavigation was number one on my list.  Number two was a nice mix of ports and sea days.  Third was cost per day and possible loyalty benefits and TA bennies.  Fourth was an itinerary with a few places I haven't been and some that I'm not likely to get to except for the WC itinerary.

Folks here can opine all day long about why one line or cruise is better, but the bottom line is it's an expensive decision and one to be made without any regrets.

Once I found my perfect cruise and booked the perfect cabin for me, I'm all in and counting down the days.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2022 at 6:45 AM, Guinness1000 said:

Wow. Thank you so much for posting. I think right now it looks like HAL or Oceania for us. Waiting for HAL to post their -25 itinerary. 🙂

‘I’m curious why you think Oceania would be any different? Oceania uses the Insignia for their world cruises which was built in 1998. Of course it has been refurbished several times but the size of the ship is the same as the one Azamara is using and is about the age. They are both former R class ships originally built for Renaissance Cruises. If the Azamara ship creaks, I’m sure the Oceania ship will as well. 

This is not meant as a reflection of Oceania, they are a top notch cruise line. I just want you to be aware that refurbishment is for the inside of the ship and cannot fix creaking 

• Thanks 1

I have sailed on the former R-class ships several times.  Once from Australia to Europe on the Ocean Princess, once on the Ocean Princess from Singapore to Europe, once on the Pacific Princess from Fort Lauderdale to Northern Europe, and once on the Azamara Onward from Ft. Lauderdale to the Eastern Caribbean.  I agree that these small ships rock and roll more than the big ones and sometimes I have had to take seasick meds.  But I never noticed creaking.  Maybe that's because we always sail in cabins low and midships.  Janet&Carl, Where was your cabin? 

• 2 weeks later...

Some great comments already.  DW and I are currently on Day 29 on the MSC Poesia World Cruise.

Our considerations were the following:

1.  Budget.  Depending upon your financial situation, this is a great place to start as it automatically screens out many higher-priced options.  I retired in August at age 54 which means most of our retirement funds are still 5 years away.  So, this helped slim down our choices very quickly

2. Circumnavigation or Grand Voyage-type World Cruise.  What is the reason you want to sail on a world cruise?  For us, it was the Phileas Fogg idea of starting and stopping at the same place (Barcelona for us).  Others look for an extended voyage that shows them many different places in the world, but doesn't necessarily have to transit 360 degrees of longitude.  Either is fine--as long as you follow your preference.

3.  Itinerary.  We were looking at Princess and MSC and the major consideration was that the MSC itinerary seemed more interesting to us.   A rule-of-thumb is a ration of 50%+ ports: 50%- sea days.  If you are doing a circumnavigation, you will not get around the fact that you will have several days of straight port days followed by several days of sea days.  It's just part of doing a world cruise.

4.  Comfortability with the Cruise Line.  It is advisable that you have sailed on what ever line you decide to book a world cruise on.  What is the service, food, inclusions like on each line?  Although that's not at all what we did.  When we decided to book our cruise we had not sailed on either Princess nor MSC.  Although we did a lot of research and were very well aware of the negative attitudes that many (most?) Americans had towards MSC.  However, we had lived in Europe for several years and assumed that it would be largely like going around the world in Italy (which largely it has).

Anyway, what ever your situation and preferences you have regarding these four considerations, I think you'll find the world cruise that is best for you.  I think that the biggest advice I have is that once you get on board, embrace the challenge.  We can all find things we don't like about any cruiseline/cruise ship (our recent cruise on the Regent Splendor wasn't perfect either), but realize that you will be on the ship for 100+ days, make the best of it!

Let us know which you decide to take.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, JanR said:

Still looking.  And still trying to decide how much longer we will continue to spend the north American winter skiing.  As far as I can see all of the World Cruises, except one of Princess' are during the North American winter.  If we decide on a line other than Princess, it will have to wait until we can't ski anymore - sooner or later, that will happen.  It will be nice to have a World Cruise waiting in the wings at  that time.  Or we'll take Princess's Sidney to Sidney May - August World Cruise, but we're leaning away from that one, partly because of what we've learned on this thread.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 12:52 PM, JanR said:

Some great comments already.  DW and I are currently on Day 29 on the MSC Poesia World Cruise.

Our considerations were the following:

1.  Budget.  Depending upon your financial situation, this is a great place to start as it automatically screens out many higher-priced options.  I retired in August at age 54 which means most of our retirement funds are still 5 years away.  So, this helped slim down our choices very quickly

2. Circumnavigation or Grand Voyage-type World Cruise.  What is the reason you want to sail on a world cruise?  For us, it was the Phileas Fogg idea of starting and stopping at the same place (Barcelona for us).  Others look for an extended voyage that shows them many different places in the world, but doesn't necessarily have to transit 360 degrees of longitude.  Either is fine--as long as you follow your preference.

3.  Itinerary.  We were looking at Princess and MSC and the major consideration was that the MSC itinerary seemed more interesting to us.   A rule-of-thumb is a ration of 50%+ ports: 50%- sea days.  If you are doing a circumnavigation, you will not get around the fact that you will have several days of straight port days followed by several days of sea days.  It's just part of doing a world cruise.

4.  Comfortability with the Cruise Line.  It is advisable that you have sailed on what ever line you decide to book a world cruise on.  What is the service, food, inclusions like on each line?  Although that's not at all what we did.  When we decided to book our cruise we had not sailed on either Princess nor MSC.  Although we did a lot of research and were very well aware of the negative attitudes that many (most?) Americans had towards MSC.  However, we had lived in Europe for several years and assumed that it would be largely like going around the world in Italy (which largely it has).

Anyway, what ever your situation and preferences you have regarding these four considerations, I think you'll find the world cruise that is best for you.  I think that the biggest advice I have is that once you get on board, embrace the challenge.  We can all find things we don't like about any cruiseline/cruise ship (our recent cruise on the Regent Splendor wasn't perfect either), but realize that you will be on the ship for 100+ days, make the best of it!

JanR, 

Thanks so much for posting...I had wanted to do this years WC w MSC....Thankfully today I read the 2025 WC MSC Grandiosa is the itin I want to do.

I want the complete round the globe experience - I'll start & end in Italy).  I plan on marking an X on the pier when I first sail & hop on it when I disembark the final day.  I have travelled a great deal so many ports I just walk & have nice lunches & dinners in local establishments. 

I have travelled on MSC many times the last few years & like the Euro atmosphere(I'm American).  My first pick for a WC would been on QE@ or SS FRANCE RT NYC but I missed those boats by a few years(I did a leg of the WC on QE2 years ago & it was FABULOUS & I don't say that about anything really).

I like smaller ships but have no interest in anything longer than 3- 4 months onboard.

JanR  - do you have a blog or do you regularly post about your WC...or will you do a review upon your return - I & I'm sure many others would be very interested in your experience.....

Have a wonderful time - wherever you are....

thank you!!!

I

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/22/2023 at 1:54 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

JanR, 

Thanks so much for posting...I had wanted to do this years WC w MSC....Thankfully today I read the 2025 WC MSC Grandiosa is the itin I want to do.

I want the complete round the globe experience - I'll start & end in Italy).  I plan on marking an X on the pier when I first sail & hop on it when I disembark the final day.  I have travelled a great deal so many ports I just walk & have nice lunches & dinners in local establishments. 

I have travelled on MSC many times the last few years & like the Euro atmosphere(I'm American).  My first pick for a WC would been on QE@ or SS FRANCE RT NYC but I missed those boats by a few years(I did a leg of the WC on QE2 years ago & it was FABULOUS & I don't say that about anything really).

I like smaller ships but have no interest in anything longer than 3- 4 months onboard.

JanR  - do you have a blog or do you regularly post about your WC...or will you do a review upon your return - I & I'm sure many others would be very interested in your experience.....

Have a wonderful time - wherever you are....

thank you!!!

I

Richard,

I chuckled at your "marking an X on the pier" comment.  I made a mental note of which berth in Barcelona we boarded the MSC Poesia.  If we are in another berth, I've vowed to walk to where we started.  It's my "Reform Club" (reference to Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days)

We are currently on Day 54 of our cruise having left Brisbane yesterday and arriving in Cairns tomorrow.  We are having a wonderful time.

MSC is one of those lines that invokes strong opinions both ways by American cruisers.  But as you've sailed MSC several times before, you know what to expect.  

As for a blog, we are actually posting a YouTube short for each day of our cruise.  It runs about 4 days behind In Real Life.  We do plan to make some longer form videos that covers our packing, how to survive a world cruise, cruise hacks we used and a full review of our experience.  That probably won't be edited and posted until May-June.  The link to our YouTube playlist is below.

Feel free to shoot any questions and we'll do the best we can to answer.

Jan  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2023 at 8:07 PM, JanR said:

Richard,

I chuckled at your "marking an X on the pier" comment.  I made a mental note of which berth in Barcelona we boarded the MSC Poesia.  If we are in another berth, I've vowed to walk to where we started.  It's my "Reform Club" (reference to Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days)

We are currently on Day 54 of our cruise having left Brisbane yesterday and arriving in Cairns tomorrow.  We are having a wonderful time.

MSC is one of those lines that invokes strong opinions both ways by American cruisers.  But as you've sailed MSC several times before, you know what to expect.  

As for a blog, we are actually posting a YouTube short for each day of our cruise.  It runs about 4 days behind In Real Life.  We do plan to make some longer form videos that covers our packing, how to survive a world cruise, cruise hacks we used and a full review of our experience.  That probably won't be edited and posted until May-June.  The link to our YouTube playlist is below.

Feel free to shoot any questions and we'll do the best we can to answer.

Jan  

Thanks so much .... I'll finish watching your Youtube videos today.... yes i like MSC & the itin is the driving force for me now.  Tho I have been to many of the ports already via land tours - the simple idea of just going around the world is my dream.  Now I have the time.

As far as MSC - i found it to be a good contemporary option.  Back in the early 2000's I did the first leg of the QE2 world cruise - very formal, elegant sophisticated. The luggage alone was a mountain 7 I loved every minute.  Those days are gone ...I have a home in NYC & still get dressed up to go out & every so often put on a dinner jacket or tuxedo.  

But w the changing times & quality of the cruise experience I too have changed...I see you booked an aft balcony cabin....I always book a midship balcony....less motion - tho I am a good sailor - and the balcony gives me respite from all the rah rah floating mall atmosphere on the mega  liners.  I never cared for buffets but found msc buffet, pizza & gelato great options. I sort of live an alternative schedule from most other passengers.

In most ports I do major sites on private tours or research museums & architecture of interest w a lunch or dinner at a nice restaurant.  I enjoy just being on the ship when most people are off on tours.

So enjoy your voyage & I look forward to seeing your videos & review. and hopefully when I get to Barcelona again I'll find your spot where you started you around the world voyage -...

Full moon & smooth seas to you both!!!!

• Like 1

Richard,

Our likes are much like yours.  I still miss QE2, the last "real ship" imho.  New Cunard is just another Carnival brand in a different suit.  And for the poster not liking creaking on Azamara, all Azamara ships are ex-R Ships and perform the same.  Some decor differences is about it.  For both of you I would recommend Viking Oceans.  After two world cruises on Viking we have heard no creaking at all.  No vibrations either.  For a quiet voyage I recommend 4 or 5 deck on Viking.  Richard, imho again, Viking has beautiful ship interiors.  Seemingly designed as a whole instead of a different "theme" for each venue. Generally well traveled passengers on Viking too.  Are they perfect? No.  Only bringing QE2 back and using her 30+ knot speed to do a full around the world in 80 days as she once did would be perfect.  Ok, make it more port intensive and do 120 days.....🍸

Edited by Jim Avery
  • Like 4