Skagway trains to Canada

OKCruiseMan

I'm reading that Canada has not approved the rail excursions into Canada. Obviously some rail excursions don't enter Canada and should be OK. Some on the list still appear to go into Canada but transfer to a bus.

Is it safe to assume any listed excursions are still possible with the restriction on border crossing via rail???

I don't want to book something that is later canceled!

I read something about the White pass RR on another site, so I decided to look into it. I copied and pasted right from their website. 

Operational Updates

White Pass & Yukon Route 2022 Operating Season

The White Pass & Yukon Route is welcoming guests for the 2022 season. Reservations are being taken for tours to the White Pass Summit.

Face coverings are required for all of our passengers and crew while aboard our trains and visiting our public spaces in the Skagway depot. Face coverings are mandated by the Federal Railroad Administration. We expect all passengers to abide by this mandate and follow the directions provided by White Pass & Yukon Route staff.

The railroad is participating in the Safe Skagway Program as part of the Tourism Best Management Practices, newly adopted by the Municipality of Skagway. Information on the Safe Skagway program can be found here. The program is designed to keep our community safe while providing the best experience for our guests.

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

We respect and appreciate the time and efforts of our communities, staff, partners, customers, and governmental agencies at all levels in both Canada and the United States over the last year to try to bring this to fruition.  Though we could not complete the task in time for this season, we will continue to work together towards restoring this service for 2023.

For those booked on Fraser and Carcross train service this summer, our reservation staff will be reaching out to discuss your travel options and provide an alternative service on our White Pass Summit Excursion offering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Moondogy said:

I read something about the White pass RR on another site, so I decided to look into it. I copied and pasted right from their website. 

Operational Updates

White Pass & Yukon Route 2022 Operating Season

The White Pass & Yukon Route is welcoming guests for the 2022 season. Reservations are being taken for tours to the White Pass Summit.

Face coverings are required for all of our passengers and crew while aboard our trains and visiting our public spaces in the Skagway depot. Face coverings are mandated by the Federal Railroad Administration. We expect all passengers to abide by this mandate and follow the directions provided by White Pass & Yukon Route staff.

The railroad is participating in the Safe Skagway Program as part of the Tourism Best Management Practices, newly adopted by the Municipality of Skagway. Information on the Safe Skagway program can be found here. The program is designed to keep our community safe while providing the best experience for our guests.

Cross Border Tours – Service Suspended for 2022 Operating Season

After months of working towards restoring the Carcross and Fraser Train Service Combination, we unfortunately must announce that we are unable to provide these offerings for the 2022 Season.  We have delayed this difficult decision for several months in the hopes that we could find a workable solution for all involved and provide passenger service on these international routes.  The challenges of logistics, restrictions, and uncertainty around wait times would have made it impossible for us to provide a consistent high quality service without delays and would create significant disruption to the passenger experience.

We respect and appreciate the time and efforts of our communities, staff, partners, customers, and governmental agencies at all levels in both Canada and the United States over the last year to try to bring this to fruition.  Though we could not complete the task in time for this season, we will continue to work together towards restoring this service for 2023.

For those booked on Fraser and Carcross train service this summer, our reservation staff will be reaching out to discuss your travel options and provide an alternative service on our White Pass Summit Excursion offering.

So with that said, would you think they have already removed the excursions that don't comply?

I'm not all that familiar with this area and not sure from the descriptions. This is the one we are not sure about.

White Pass Rail, Summit, Gold Panning & BBQ Lunch

5.75 hours | Skagway | SGY-250

11 minutes ago, OKCruiseMan said:

So with that said, would you think they have already removed the excursions that don't comply?

I'm not all that familiar with this area and not sure from the descriptions. This is the one we are not sure about.

White Pass Rail, Summit, Gold Panning & BBQ Lunch

5.75 hours | Skagway | SGY-250

Yes, I think they have. Mine is still listed for my August cruise and they haven't refund me my money yet, so I'm hoping I'm good 🤣

We're booked on a Skagway rail excursion that goes into Canada in early June. Heck, there's only 11 tickets left if you still want to get on board! What I think they will do is go as far as the summit and go by coach for the rest of the way. We'll just have to see.

3 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

We're booked on a Skagway rail excursion that goes into Canada in early June. Heck, there's only 11 tickets left if you still want to get on board! What I think they will do is go as far as the summit and go by coach for the rest of the way. We'll just have to see.

That's what they did last year and simply reduced the cost a modest amount.  FWIW the direct pricing for the shorter tour is $134 roundtrip for adults per the railroad's website https://wpyr.com/excursions/

18 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I noticed one of the excursions takes a bus into Canada and you take the train back to Alaska. Maybe that is allowed??

1 hour ago, OKCruiseMan said:

I noticed one of the excursions takes a bus into Canada and you take the train back to Alaska. Maybe that is allowed??

If this is still an option we highly recommend it. We were bused to the Yukon and took the White Pass RR back to Skagway. Long day but unforgettable. At least when we went our first Alaska cruise.

Enjoy Alaska!

9 minutes ago, latebloomer56 said:

If this is still an option we highly recommend it. We were bused to the Yukon and took the White Pass RR back to Skagway. Long day but unforgettable. At least when we went our first Alaska cruise.

Enjoy Alaska!

Unfortunately, those bus/train combo trips will not be an option this year because you can't get a bus from the summit as there is no road access.  You don't get off the train there at all - you just go up and then back down to Skagway.  I am not sure why those excursions are still listed for booking but they can't happen, as far as I can tell. 😪

• Like 1

We are scheduled to cruise on Discovery Princess from Seattle early in July.  We had booked a combination bus and railroad trip from Skagway that previously went into Canda.  We were notified by Princess this past Friday, that the trip was cancelled, and in its place we are taking a round trip on the White Pass Railroad, that will then transfer to a bus which will tour Skagway.

Not really disappointed. 

5 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

We are scheduled to cruise on Discovery Princess from Seattle early in July.  We had booked a combination bus and railroad trip from Skagway that previously went into Canda.  We were notified by Princess this past Friday, that the trip was cancelled, and in its place we are taking a round trip on the White Pass Railroad, that will then transfer to a bus which will tour Skagway.

Not really disappointed. 

That makes sense.  Are they giving you any type of credit back?  A city bus tour of Skagway hardly seems equivalent compensation for the portion of the excursion you had cancelled.

28 minutes ago, Tiggerontheseas said:

That makes sense.  Are they giving you any type of credit back?  A city bus tour of Skagway hardly seems equivalent compensation for the portion of the excursion you had cancelled.

I think that both tours were the same price.  

Yes we don't go into Canada, but my feelings is that if Canada wants to give us a hard time, we will stay in the United States.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Moondogy said:

I wonder if this section of the info is still in effect since the notice precedes the date on which court struck down the mask mandate requirement.  Masks are optional now and apparently even some flight crew are not bothering with them.  Amtrak has gone optional from what I read.

7 hours ago, OKCruiseMan said:

I'm reading that Canada has not approved the rail excursions into Canada. Obviously some rail excursions don't enter Canada and should be OK. Some on the list still appear to go into Canada but transfer to a bus.

Is it safe to assume any listed excursions are still possible with the restriction on border crossing via rail???

I don't want to book something that is later canceled!

In general it is the train excursions that mention “passport required” that are being cancelled. Some private tour companies are doing the Yukon excursions using busses

I don't  understand how screwed up Princess  excursion dept is. From the White  Pass RR web & what my wife reads on Facebook the Princess combo excursion must be canceled.  In July 2022  train supposed to go up to Canada Yukon where we would  get a bus togo back to Skagway via a gold panning & BBQ lunch. But no one from Princess  will acknowledge this to us on phone or email. They even still  offer it on their  web!  Anyone out there get email on this from Princess?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Willwils said:

I don't  understand how screwed up Princess  excursion dept is. From the White  Pass RR web & what my wife reads on Facebook the Princess combo excursion must be canceled.  In July 2022  train supposed to go up to Canada Yukon where we would  get a bus togo back to Skagway via a gold panning & BBQ lunch. But no one from Princess  will acknowledge this to us on phone or email. They even still  offer it on their  web!  Anyone out there get email on this from Princess?

I'm irritated with this as well. Best case IMHO is that they're scrambling to put the best alternative arrangements together and can't tell us anything definitive just yet. Worst case is they're trying to keep your cash as long as possible. Most probable case IMHO is lack of staff and/or incompetence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, beg3yrs said:

I'm irritated with this as well. Best case IMHO is that they're scrambling to put the best alternative arrangements together and can't tell us anything definitive just yet. Worst case is they're trying to keep your cash as long as possible. Most probable case IMHO is lack of staff and/or incompetence.

Thanks for the comments. I think I'll try calling Princess again tomorrow + email my TA. Odd that Princess email some & not others.

16 hours ago, CalLuvsCrusingToo said:

We prefer to book tours while onboard, Not ahead.  So, not a problem.

The only problem with that is by the time one sails, especially in respect to Alaska, one will find many of the best excursions booked up. 

• Like 2

Its gotta do with the ArriveCAN app - and the fact there's NO cell service or wifi at Frasier, BC (Canada border stop).  It would take nearly 2 hours to clear the train, and that's IF everyone had a smart phone on them and did a screen shot of the QR code & status to enter Canada.

Maybe next year.

• Thanks 1