Vancouver to Seattle post cruise ?

volk904

We are flying to Vancouver thru Seattle before our cruise but on our return flight we are flying with points on SW from Seattle the next day,  My plan all along was to take AMTRAK

to Seattle but right now it is a 4 hour bus ride. Pretty cheap just $45 pp on Contrail.  I talked to Amtrak and they said there might be a change on May 23 but no promise.  I am thinking if nothing else i might need to book the bus thru Amtrak to have something but hope the train comes back  Has anybody taken that bus ride?

Any other ideas other than flying?

Also I am confused on the Covid requirements to return to the US. MY brother seems to think he has to have a covid test to return to the US by plane but I read the Amtrak return info it said nothing about a covid test for US citizens.

Yes - test required for ALL inbound US flights. Go fight about that with US gov't!!!

Land crossing - no test, hence Amtrak not mentioning.

As well as Amtrak bus, and hopefully train (May 23 is right before the unofficial start of Canadian Summer - the 'May Two Four Holiday' - so this date does make sense...) check the QuickShuttle schedule. It's more convenient as it picks up at the pier and there's a departure that ties in nicely with cruise arrivals (9am) - pricing model has been totally overhauled with way more options now, so it might even no longer be significantly pricier for that convenience. But if the train has started - take the train! Hands-down it's the least hassle at the border of any possible way to cross, it's cheaper than Amtrak buses too for a better service across the board. The only downside, apart from not running right now, is that there are only two per day and the early train is way too early for cruisers - but if getting to Seattle by ~10pm is OK, the train is the winner in every category IMO.

Weeks ago, I emailed Amtrak to ask when the train would run to Vancouver. Today I received a totally useless answer from customer support. I particularly enjoyed the boast about downtown-to-downtown service--But I can't get that on the TRAIN!

"Thank you for contacting us.
We apologize for the delay in our response. Currently we are experiencing a higher than normal volume. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
Due to the ever-changing nature of our product, Amtrak does not quote schedules for reservation via email.  We recommend contacting an Amtrak representative directly for assistance with booking reservations. An Amtrak representative will be happy to locate the best available options for your itinerary. Our office is staffed 24 hours a day at 1-800-872-7245. Simply press "0" to by-pass the main menu to reach a live agent. 
As a reminder, Amtrak travel includes an array of amenities – including downtown-to-downtown service, no middle seat, ample legroom, the ability to earn Amtrak Guest Rewards points, and one of the most generous baggage policies in travel.
Once again, thank you for contacting us.  We strive at Amtrak to deliver a comfortable and enjoyable travel experience for all our customers. Our guiding principles are to provide a safer, greener, healthier and better-connected passenger rail system."

5 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I particularly enjoyed the boast about downtown-to-downtown service--But I can't get that on the TRAIN!

I would have thought you'd be more excited about the 'safer, greener, healthier better-connected passenger rail system' that apparantly, they're unable to tell you about when it comes to the Vancouver/Seattle corridor.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, volk904 said:

The quick shuttle was interesting to know about. I think we are going to book the Amtrak Bus for now and hope to switch it to the train if it happens.

Where does the Amtrak bus depart from?  The train station is about a mile or so away from the pier, so you will need a taxi.  Quick Shuttle leaves right from the pier.

I commuted for a summer monthly from Vanc to Sea so pretty familiar with all the options.  Amtrak bus makes virtually no stops making it very fast.  Quick Shuttle was the longest and worst in regards to timing.  If they do offer an 'express' but from pier in Vanc then yes I'd consider that for logistics, but not on one of their other milk runs.  Amtrak has been running 'test trains' to Vanc so restarting that is iminent and now that cruises have started from Vanc its more important to get the train option going again as its a super popular route.  Even if you take the Amtrak bus with a few stops its still the best option.

18 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

Where does the Amtrak bus depart from?  The train station is about a mile or so away from the pier, so you will need a taxi.  Quick Shuttle leaves right from the pier.

The Amtrak bus departs Vancouver from the train station. I know this because I sent yet another email to Amtrak asking where the bus location is in Seattle, as I have no recollection of ever seeing it when I went to the train station. They told me where the bus location is in Vancouver. 

"The bus bay for the Vancouver, BC station is located at the rear of the station. The address to the station in Vancouver, BC is at:
Pacific Central Station
1150 Station Street 
Vancouver, BC V6A4C7"

I just booked the  11:30 am Amtrak bus with refundable fare. Should I keep checking every day, or will Amtrak let me know when the train is available?  Or will they automatically transfer my bus reservation to the train? Thanks.

6 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

I just booked the  11:30 am Amtrak bus with refundable fare. Should I keep checking every day, or will Amtrak let me know when the train is available?  Or will they automatically transfer my bus reservation to the train? Thanks.

Keep checking, although daily is overkill - follow Amtrak twitter feed or FB page or similar as undoubtedly there will be an announcement when cross-border trains actually start again.

The bus services running now are the same ones that always ran, not in any way replacing the train services - so even if trains restart your bus will still run. You will definitely have to drive any changes 100% yourself!

just so you know the train normally left either at 745 am or so and the late train left at 5pm or so.  The Amtrak bus is still the quickest unless Quick Shuttle which leaves from the dock has an express.  Their normal runs are the worst for amt of time in travel, stops etc, but logistically the easiest if going from port in Vanc to seatac or downtown Seattle but not always very quickly.  Train rumored to be starting by late may before the memorial day holiday, but no one really knows