Flying home to US from Vancouver-covid test needed?

Our upcoming Alaska cruise will end in Vancouver May 25. We fly home to Dallas from there. I'm reading we'll need to test before we can fly home. Will we be tested on the ship? Any info appreciated. Apologies if this has already been discussed & I missed it.

14 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Check the Princess website. Health Protocols was updated yesterday May 4 to say the passenger is responsible for arranging any disembarkation testing needed in Canada to fly home. 

I just got an email from princess saying that. Darn it!

10 minutes ago, Buckeye10640 said:

I have received no notification yet for our 5/14 cruise. 

We set sail May 11. The email recommends testing at Vancouver Airport. Also gives address to order an at home test. I suppose you take the at home test with you on the cruise & test before debark. I googled & the cost of airport test is $84 pp. 

The more I read the more confused I get. If we are getting off in Vancouver and flying home to the USA we need a test, that I understand. Princess states that testing can be done on board. I have downloaded the Medallion app onto my phone but will not sign up for the onboard internet. Does that mean I can't do the test onboard,? I won't have a connection correct?

Here is what Princess website says:

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services.

8 minutes ago, DougH said:

The more I read the more confused I get. If we are getting off in Vancouver and flying home to the USA we need a test, that I understand. Princess states that testing can be done on board. I have downloaded the Medallion app onto my phone but will not sign up for the onboard internet. Does that mean I can't do the test onboard,? I won't have a connection correct?

Here is what Princess website says:

If guests would prefer to have the required test completed while still on board, Princess has partnered with Optum so that before traveling to the ship U.S.-based vaccinated guests can order an FDA-authorized at-home antigen test kit, shipped to their homes in three business days or less. Guests can take these tests on the ship, using MedallionNet to complete the required, video-supervised visit with an eMed Certified Guide through telehealth services.

You are correct.  You need internet for the test to be observed.  You can get internet for $20 for a single day (less 50% if your CC Member Level is Platinum or Elite).  You can add that to cost of a proctored test and compare that to cost at the airport (I'd factor in a convenience credit for doing it on-baord).

You need an appointment for these tests. If it was me I’d take it at the Vancouver Fairmont downtown. Short taxi ride. Located in lower level of hotel.  Test prices high in Vancouver.internet on-board unreliable.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

You are correct.  You need internet for the test to be observed.  You can get internet for $20 for a single day (less 50% if your CC Member Level is Platinum or Elite).  You can add that to cost of a proctored test and compare that to cost at the airport (I'd factor in a convenience credit for doing it on-baord).

Thanks I'm Elite but still mad they took away my free internet minutes. I keep hoping the US will eliminate the requirement, seems strange you need it if flying across the border but not driving. 

11 minutes ago, DougH said:

Thanks I'm Elite but still mad they took away my free internet minutes. I keep hoping the US will eliminate the requirement, seems strange you need it if flying across the border but not driving. 

Yes, there are plenty of head-scratchers when you look at the total picture of Covid protocols in both our countries.  It will go away, but who knows when?  IDK when your voyage is.  Mine is Oct 1 and we fly Sep 28.  Hoping for clear flying and sailing by then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steelers36 said:

Yes, there are plenty of head-scratchers when you look at the total picture of Covid protocols in both our countries.  It will go away, but who knows when?  IDK when your voyage is.  Mine is Oct 1 and we fly Sep 28.  Hoping for clear flying and sailing by then.

Wow that is a late cruise. Hope the weather holds for you. I sail mid June, to me the sweet spot of the season. Love the long twilight for scenery watching

4 minutes ago, DougH said:

Wow that is a late cruise. Hope the weather holds for you. I sail mid June, to me the sweet spot of the season. Love the long twilight for scenery watching

LOL.  We are sailing in the Med - not Alaska.

So if one catches Covid on the ship and test (+)ve at the airport before flying home on the same day after disembark, one is on their own for all the associated quarantine cost in Canada?!

Edited by ebeluga
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Check the Princess website. Health Protocols was updated yesterday May 4 to say the passenger is responsible for arranging any disembarkation testing needed in Canada to fly home. 

4 hours ago, 1965 said:

We set sail May 11. The email recommends testing at Vancouver Airport.

To me this is very bad news.

a) No doubt hundreds (maybe a thousand or more?) will be flying home to the USA from Vancouver. I am skeptical that the airport has the facilities to test this many people disembarkation day in time to have results before passengers check in for their flights, flights that were booked long ago without any allowance for departure times that would allow for airport testing. And this is in addition to other travelers who are planning to get tested that day at the airport.

b) As an alternative to airport testing, it is difficult to arrange for testing in a city you are very unfamiliar with.

c) And, as mentioned in another post, ship Internet might not be reliable enough to allow on board self-testing via Internet. Remember that even a few seconds interruption to the view of the test materials means the test in invalid.

• Like 2

I looked into Covid testing in Vancouver and found information in the Canada forum on cc. 
I was just at the Fairmont Vancouver & saw a testing centre in the lower level of the hotel. Most places you need an appointment.  There is a Switch location in Richmond,  you can book. this is the one. Aeroplan uses. We ordered our Switch tests for embarkation.

and the testing location at YVR is near the airport Fairmont- make an appointment.

the Shoppers Drug mart & Costco we’re not offering tests in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, ebeluga said:

So if one catches Covid on the ship and test (+)ve at the airport before flying home on the same day after disembark, one is on their own for all the associated quarantine cost in Canada?!

Looks that way...private travel insurance will kick in. By not providing testing Princess can eliminate responsibility for anyone who was never identified as positive and quarantined on the ship.

CVM Medical has testing facilities at the pier in the Convention Centre as well as at the airport. As mentioned, another provider has set up a clinic at the Fairmont across the street.

Availability may depend on how many ships are in port.

We're using the Princess transfer from ship to airport. Our flight departs at 12:45 P.M. Appointment is need for airport test. Any suggestions as to what time I should schedule? 

6 minutes ago, 1965 said:

We're using the Princess transfer from ship to airport. Our flight departs at 12:45 P.M. Appointment is need for airport test. Any suggestions as to what time I should schedule? 

YVR is recommending that people with international flights arrive three hours before boarding. It takes at least 30 minutes, maybe longer,  to get to the airport. What time does the shuttle leave?

I am on-board Discovery. I will ask tonight about testing on-board for Vancouver disembarking for rest of season.  We disembark in Seattle so it does not affect us. 
no promises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buckeye10640 said:

Looks that way...private travel insurance will kick in. By not providing testing Princess can eliminate responsibility for anyone who was never identified as positive and quarantined on the ship.

I've read different posts about testing onboard. It's been posted were if you are flying and NEED a test, Princess was doing them in a lounge. Our cruise stops in Victoria the day before so maybe they'll be offered the day before. We will do our own test onboard on debarcation morning and if positive, report to Princess before we get off. We are both double boosted and figure just like the chicken pox, You ARE going to get it sooner or later.

27 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

I've read different posts about testing onboard. It's been posted were if you are flying and NEED a test, Princess was doing them in a lounge. Our cruise stops in Victoria the day before so maybe they'll be offered the day before. We will do our own test onboard on debarcation morning and if positive, report to Princess before we get off. We are both double boosted and figure just like the chicken pox, You ARE going to get it sooner or later.

Yes, I believe the key is to have the test done before disembarking.  I don't see anywhere in the health protocols where Princess will not cover quarantine expenses after the cruise when test positive, but seems cloudy if you don't test until after leaving the ship.  Perhaps less hassle to take a land trip to Seattle and then fly.  Seems to me another barrier to travel going on here.

58 minutes ago, Yehootu said:

We are both double boosted and figure just like the chicken pox, You ARE going to get it sooner or later.

I never got the chicken pox although I suppose there's still some time left.