Carry On Suitcase - 10 Day Alaska Cruise Out of San Francisco

rayandshirl

I have always showed up at the terminal and handed my suitcase to one of the union workers and then got in line to board.  This cruise is only 10 days and I wonder if anyone has just rolled up the ramp with their carryon and put it in their cabin while it is being made ready...just deposit it in the closet and then returned to the Lido deck.

We stopped checking our suitcases after they got dumped into the water at the port. Nothing to wear for 3 days. The ship let us use "expedited" laundry (we weren't Elite at the time) and it took 3 days to get our laundry back. Some things were ruined (not the clothes) and insurance didn't come close to paying for it...plus the hassle of getting the insurance to pay.

27 minutes ago, rayandshirl said:

I have always showed up at the terminal and handed my suitcase to one of the union workers and then got in line to board.  This cruise is only 10 days and I wonder if anyone has just rolled up the ramp with their carryon and put it in their cabin while it is being made ready...just deposit it in the closet and then returned to the Lido deck.

I’ve always traveled with a carry-on and a checked suitcase.  Sometimes the cabins are available to go drop off your carry-on and sometimes they’re not depending on what time you board.Sometimes the fire doors are totally closed and you cannot get to your cabin.  So are you saying your cruise is in 10 days or the length of your cruise is 10 days? Because if the length of my cruise was 10 days, I would definitely need a carry-on and a suitcase or two ,that I check in with the workers at the curb .

Have a great cruise. 

For a Caribbean sector voyage, we have gone as long as 12-nights (5 + 7) with carry-ons.  (We don't dress formally by definition of Princess recommendations).  

For 10-night Alaska, I would try it, but we'd likely have one checked bag due to heavier clothing.  If not too large, we might be able to handle it ourselves (preferred).  

• Like 1

Thanks so much for all your replies.  I was counting on wearing my trail shoes to the ship because of the room they would take up and carrying a jacket.  I went to India for a month years ago with a carry on but I was younger then!  Thanks for the tip about the fire doors not being unlocked.  I really appreciate it.

2 hours ago, riffatsea said:

We always take our own luggage on board!

We haven't checked anything for the last 15 years!

Exactly the same for us.  We only travel with a 20" roller carry on each.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We stopped checking our suitcases after they got dumped into the water at the port. Nothing to wear for 3 days. The ship let us use "expedited" laundry (we weren't Elite at the time) and it took 3 days to get our laundry back. Some things were ruined (not the clothes) and insurance didn't come close to paying for it...plus the hassle of getting the insurance to pay.

WAs that in Fort Lauderdale?  I was at the pier and I saw the top maybe 10 suite case slide off the pallet into the water?  It would have been a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, geocruiser said:

WAs that in Fort Lauderdale?  I was at the pier and I saw the top maybe 10 suite case slide off the pallet into the water?  It would have been a Caribbean cruise.

No San Pedro. We were told it was the whole pallet. Luckily (🥵) it was a Hawaii cruise, so lots of time to wear our newly washed clothes...after we finally got them back. No compensation or offers of help from Passenger Services desk. We should have pushed for some clothes from the shops, but didn't.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

No San Pedro. We were told it was the whole pallet. Luckily (🥵) it was a Hawaii cruise, so lots of time to wear our newly washed clothes...after we finally got them back. No compensation or offers of help from Passenger Services desk. We should have pushed for some clothes from the shops, but didn't.

WOW,  I agree, the service desk should have stepped up.  It should have been at least for some of the clothes it should have been same day service.

• Like 2

We have boarded in the past in SF and always carry our own luggage on board as long as it will fit thru the machine. The cabins are usually open to drop your luggage and go to lunch.

• Like 1

As far as carryon, IF its ONLY up to 20" that fits in the machine?   20" is kinda small.

Even in airplane overheads, I've traveled with 21", up to 22" as carryon, and fits fine.

Has anyone with 21 or 22" carryon gotten thru for Ship as carryon?  Thanks

Finding this thread interesting as we're sailing in a few days out of SF on the Ruby.  1st Alaskan cruise for us and I'm pretty sure I've overpacked...I can't imagine getting all of this stuff into a carry-on only, so will have each a large suitcase & a carry-on.  Bringing a lot of stuff for layering.  Also going to wear our hiking shoes onboard & carry jackets to lighten the load a bit.  Usually check the large bags with porters and roll on our carryons.  Hoping we can drop those off in cabin before lunch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cruzinnana47 said:

Finding this thread interesting as we're sailing in a few days out of SF on the Ruby.  1st Alaskan cruise for us and I'm pretty sure I've overpacked...I can't imagine getting all of this stuff into a carry-on only, so will have each a large suitcase & a carry-on.  Bringing a lot of stuff for layering.  Also going to wear our hiking shoes onboard & carry jackets to lighten the load a bit.  Usually check the large bags with porters and roll on our carryons.  Hoping we can drop those off in cabin before lunch.

I so agree, I can not imagine carry on only on a cruise. Seems lots can though. Kudos to them.

• Like 1

The 20/22 in carryon standards is usually the longest measurement.  The 20+ here would be the second longest measurement, typically “width” with “height” being the longest.  

• Like 1

The MDR is open for lunch. Go there and have lunch and place your bag next to you at the table. The staterooms should be open by the time you finish lunch.

At terminal 27 they stretch safety nets from the ship's freight doors and the pier to prevent anything falling in the bay.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, arizonaperson said:

I so agree, I can not imagine carry on only on a cruise. Seems lots can though. Kudos to them.

Hi,

I do do carry-on.  But I use two of them.  I could not make it with just one.  I do this because I want to unpack as soon as I can and I don't have to worry about lost suit cases.  I use to give it to the porter  curb side at the pier.  But once it almost got taken.  The porter stopped it in time.  I gave him my luggage and a tip.  But I was waiting to see him put it on the pallet.  He turned to put one of the case on the pallet, and when his back was turned, a bus driver grabbed my other case and was just about to load in the luggage compartment of the bus.  The bus was picking up PAX to take them home.  Both me and the porter yelled. The porter got my case then and put it on the pallet.  Between that and seeing luggage land in the water, I now carry on my things.  These things don't haven too often.  But I want to be safe with my suitcases.

My trick for packing is I pack non bulky clothing. But I do pack a hoodie and shawls for the AC.   I do warm weather cruises most of the time.   I also sew lots of my clothing, therefore I choose fabric that fold nice and flat and does not wrinkle.  

I also do this (2 carry- on) because they are easier for me to lift.

Edited by geocruiser

One of the reasons we love sailing from SF is that the port is small and easy to navigate.  We drive there and park so we tend to overpack when we don't have to fly.  We always take one huge suitcase, three carry-ons, backpacks, and a dive bag with scuba gear.  We have lots of bags and two teenagers so carrying on for us would be a hot mess. We pass everything but the backpacks off to the porters and then walk into the building.  As long as you're not there in the chaos of the previous cruise trying to get out, it's actually really calm and organized.  We walk on, head for the MDR for some lunch, and then our room is normally ready by the time we get out of lunch.  

If I didn't have so many bags or children, I would just carry on and head for the dining room.