Anyone postponing 2nd booster until closer to cruise?

Jazzbo

Yes, we are delaying our booster until closer to our b2b/TA in October.  There is also information on T and B cells, along with how they work with Covid.  My DH and I will do what our MDVIP doctor suggests when it gets closer to our cruises, as new information becomes available daily.  My thought is is that if you do not feel your own doctor has a good handle on this virus, along with so many other things, it might be time for a new doctor, especially if you do a lot of traveling and are very health' conscious.  Having said all of this, anything can happen, so just be as knowledgeable as possible and always have a plan.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

We're in the same boat. Boosted in Nov, got Omicron early January, Mediterranean cruise booked for early July. I think we will get second booster a few weeks before cruising, otherwise I would wait until the Fall as I just turned 50 and not at risk. I do wonder if a booster will make much difference in actually getting a new variant but hope for the best.

• Like 1

We had the 2 Moderna shots  very early on..then a Moderna booster as soon as it was available.  We have no plans to get a 2 nd booster shot unless mandated by the cruise line.

We will watch for new developments as the vaccines are matched to new strains.

Working on plans for shingles vax..The orig ones we took are no longer in use 

• Like 1

Short answer; yes. Since it’s effective against infection for only 4 weeks getting it three weeks before cruise. Next cruise isn’t until 2:18/23 so 2nd  booster 1/31. Passed on my 8/22 Europe cruise , rebooked  9/11/23 hoping for far better protocols and Covid.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, indy406 said:

We are on the May 23 Reflection cruise out of CIV. Got our second boosters yesterday. BTW, I asked my doctor at the VA whether we should get the boosters. The answer was, "Couldn't hurt, it's up to you." Thanks a lot. Typical. But we did some research and it shows the booster becomes fully effective two weeks after the shot and we should get additional protection against serious Covid for four to five weeks beyond that. Not much else we can do.

We did basically the same thing as you.  We are on the May 27th Solstice Alaska sailing out of Seattle.  We got our 2nd  Pfizer booster yesterday figuring  it can't hurt and might help.

Here's hoping for happy, healthy cruising moving forward 🤞

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Yes, we are delaying our booster until closer to our b2b/TA in October.  There is also information on T and B cells, along with how they work with Covid.  My DH and I will do what our MDVIP doctor suggests when it gets closer to our cruises, as new information becomes available daily.  My thought is is that if you do not feel your own doctor has a good handle on this virus, along with so many other things, it might be time for a new doctor, especially if you do a lot of traveling and are very health' conscious.  Having said all of this, anything can happen, so just be as knowledgeable as possible and always have a plan.

We also have MDVIP because neither of us was able to get timely appointments with our former doctors (or their nurse practitioners, which we would have accepted). As an example, when I got back home after my Dad’s final illness and death, my husband told me he had suddenly lost hearing in one ear the evening before. The soonest his doctor’s office could get him in was a week and a half later. I contacted my MDVIP doctor’s office and they worked him in that same day. I had been with them for several years, and my husband finally agreed to sign up. It’s expensive, but so worth it to have access to our doctor; we even have his cell phone number if something urgent comes up after hours or on the weekend. Our medical system is broken when we have to spend so much for timely access. Sorry to go off-topic. Rant over.

Edited by Jazzbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

We also have MDVIP because neither of us was able to get timely appointments with our former doctors (or their nurse practitioners, which we would have accepted). As an example, when I got back home after my Dad’s final illness and death, my husband told me he had suddenly lost hearing in one ear the evening before. The soonest his doctor’s office could get him in was a week and a half later. I contacted my MDVIP doctor’s office and they worked him in that same day. I had been with them for several years, and my husband finally agreed to sign up. It’s expensive, but so worth it to have access to our doctor; we even have his cell phone number if something urgent comes up after hours or on the weekend. Our medical system is broken when we have to spend so much for timely access. Sorry to go off-topic. Rant over.

I am so happy to hear that your DH is with you on this, as the sense of knowing that you have someone a phone call away to asist is truly worth the extra money.  Sorry to hear about your dad; mine moved by us for his last three years and it was a blessing to have him in MDVIP too, as he had so many issues.

Edited by Lastdance

Interesting since I thought not “fully effective” until 14 days after getting boosted. Does that mean boosting is really only effective at stopping infection for two weeks?  Ugg

Did this in December with the first booster.

Boosted on 12-9, flew to Puerto Rico on 12-24 and on the NCL cruise 12-26.  Wanted to time it perfectly.

Won't be pursuing the second booster until the booster gets more variant specific but that hasn't stopped the cruising as I am on the Equinox now.

On 5/8/2022 at 7:49 PM, mimbecky said:

Interesting since I thought not “fully effective” until 14 days after getting boosted. Does that mean boosting is really only effective at stopping infection for two weeks?  Ugg

No, only means the booster shot becomes "fully effective" 14 days after getting the shot.

1 hour ago, boxkite said:

No, only means the booster shot becomes "fully effective" 14 days after getting the shot.

Well hopefully the 4 weeks starts after the 14 days. We boosted 4 weeks ago and fly out this week for our cruise. Hope we are covered! I guess nobody really knows. Starting to wonder if the trip is worth the stress. Wish the US would drop return home testing.

Edited by mimbecky
  • Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 6:17 PM, mikewomb said:

Don't count on timing the booster to work. I had two friends who got their second booster (fourth Pfizer shot) and got covid three weeks later. There are always exceptions, espectially with the newer variant of omicron that is 25% more contageous. 

On 5/7/2022 at 5:01 AM, TomBeckCruise said:

Also ask Dr. which booster to get. Our 4th was Moderna which was the same as the first three. That was 2-3 weeks before our cruise.

I had a routine Dr. appointment soon after our cruise about 6 weeks later, and the nurse said they have been recommending switching to Pfizer for the fourth jab. 

Our friends that we sailed with did not get their 4th, and she tested positive in Barcelona the day they disembarked at the end of the cruise.  They had to wait 10 days to fly home. He tested positive after 5 days so they stayed in Barcelona 15 days before returning to the US.

Trawick Insurance would only cover the first day in Barcelona as a travel delay because they put the travel time as ending the day they were supposed to fly home.

How does getting or not getting a booster shot (currently not even required by Celebrity) correlate to testing positive something during the trip?

Maybe less is more in this entire discussion.

Amazing discussion.  Gaming one's health doesn't appear to be something I want to be part of.  We have been vaccinated twice and booster twice.  We practice recommended protocols to include wearing masks in store, social distancing and copies use of sanitizer.  Also avoid crowds of all kinds.  Too many people disregarding protocols has led to an up tik in cases and hospitalizations.  Not the time to slack off.  If a new variant emerges, a new booster will be offered.  Stay safe and keep healthy.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Amazing discussion.  Gaming one's health doesn't appear to be something I want to be part of.  We have been vaccinated twice and booster twice.  We practice recommended protocols to include wearing masks in store, social distancing and copies use of sanitizer.  Also avoid crowds of all kinds.  Too many people disregarding protocols has led to an up tik in cases and hospitalizations.  Not the time to slack off.  If a new variant emerges, a new booster will be offered.  Stay safe and keep healthy.

Basically the same here. Fully vaccinated and double boosted. We’re now getting ready to get the shingles vaccine. We will be ready if they release booster #3. 

If you are predicting differing advice from different doctors (and other sources), you're probably correct.

There are new and differing reports, predictions and advice every day, depending on what is the latest from states' health departments, new journal articles, pronouncement from professional associations, promising vaccine announcements followed by news of delayed approval, arguments about variant-specific vaccines vs more "universal" vaccines effective against more strains, local "waves" - it is never ending. 

Right now Covid is a new disease and we don't know very much.  I am amazed that we got any vaccine against it developed and approved in less than a year.

I was holding off on booster #2 until I got a little closer to my next planned travel or gained more information, then I tested positive for Covid on Mother's Day (despite rigorous masking, distancing and sanitizing) - scratch the planned brunch.  At least I am not "real sick."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke with my Dr.  I am immune compromised.  I was advised to get the 2nd booster ( unrelated to cruising).  I had it March 25.  We are currently on a transatlantic cruise, departed April 30.  I wore a mask on the plane, in crowded places, did not take ship excursions, but twice rode a shuttle into town, where I did wear a mask.  Currently in quarantine as I tested positive yesterday.  Just mild cold like symptoms, so I called medical for a test. 

Edited by ehall

1 hour ago, cruisingator2 said:

Not sure why anyone would be surprised about getting Covid even with vaccines/boosters. Just like the flu vaccine a person can still get sick but the vaccine is there to help reduce effects. Same with Covid. 

This is true.  The Employee Health nurse at work asked me (by telephone of course since I am home in isolation) if I was shocked that I tested positive.  No, I was a little surprised since I wasn't really sick, but this is how Covid is showing up now - among vaccinated people or people with some immunity because they have had Covid earlier.  With many people there are no symptoms so we're not aware of exposure to a "sick" person.

However, though I don't feel good and am glad not to be at work, I am not terribly ill and not in the hospital despite several risk factors.

ehall, I wish you an quick and uneventful recovery.

Edited by doctork