What happens in quarantine?

natasac1

I was quarantined for 7days on the Emerald. I was moved to a balcony cabin on Aloha deck. I was put on a diet of pancakes and tortillas.

That's all they could slide under the door.....sorry...actually I could order anything they had, including bar service.

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Wow! Do you realize how many times you used I or We?

Isolation is not about you.  It is for the protection of the Crew and your fellow passengers. 

Be honest, if you see someone else coughing, I'll bet you think that they are being selfish exposing you to the virus. 

I think Linisfer has stated that they will wait to cruise., right?

Nothing wrong with that!

6 hours ago, Linsifer said:

But rarely as long.  Many times people don’t care if they’re quarantined when they’re feeling so crummy with the Norovirus.  But usually now with vaccinated and boosted folks, often they don’t feel symptoms of Covid or very little.  That makes it tough being confined to a cabin and not even the one booked. 

You are right about norovirus.....you pretty much don't care where you are because you feel so crappy (no pun intended).     Norovirus was WAY worse than covid.......speaking from experience.    I've never been so sick.     The thing with norovirus is you can't get away with just wandering around like you don't have it.....no way. 

I get being moved to another cabin for many reasons.   It would be so much harder on the crew if everyone that was in quarantine was scattered around the ship.....too many protocols for them to follow.

The thing with covid is you are contagious 1-3 days before you show symptoms......this is why it will never be contained.    Too many people fly on a plane with untested individuals, so my guess is lots are catching enroute to their cruise.

I know norovirus is really miserable (in our family, we used to say you’re afraid you’re going to die, and afraid you won’t) but it is so short lived. My most recent bout was in a chilly spartan hotel room on Easter Island, it hit about 9pm, and with the bathroom sink not within arm’s reach of the toilet, and only one thin towel each it was pure hell. But by 9am it had all passed (literally). Give me that over a several day quarantine on a cruise ship anytime. 

I just updated my blog with a final post about what Ruby Princess quarantine was like in late March and early April. Reading more recent accounts, it sounds like some things have improved since then (probably because the numbers in quarantine have dropped so much) but others haven’t changed. As a result, I’m not planning to cruise anytime soon, though my husband, who is theoretically “COVID safe” until the end of June probably would say he would. But once faced with the chance of another stint in Princess jail, he would definitely pass too. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

I know norovirus is really miserable (in our family, we used to say you’re afraid you’re going to die, and afraid you won’t) but it is so short lived. My most recent bout was in a chilly spartan hotel room on Easter Island, it hit about 9pm, and with the bathroom sink not within arm’s reach of the toilet, and only one thin towel each it was pure hell. But by 9am it had all passed (literally). Give me that over a several day quarantine on a cruise ship anytime. 

I just updated my blog with a final post about what Ruby Princess quarantine was like in late March and early April. Reading more recent accounts, it sounds like some things have improved since then (probably because the numbers in quarantine have dropped so much) but others haven’t changed. As a result, I’m not planning to cruise anytime soon, though my husband, who is theoretically “COVID safe” until the end of June probably would say he would. But once faced with the chance of another stint in Princess jail, he would definitely pass too. 

My norovirus lasted a good 3 days until finally the medical staff hooked me up to an IV.   I got so severely dehydrated and was doing the dry heave thing along with the bathroom trip every 15-20 min....morning, noon & night.    It was horrible.    I got sick just as we were rounding the horn of South America.   

• Like 1

Yes our experience in Jail was horrible on the Ruby.  We also voluntarily got tested as my DW had symptoms.  We knew what would happen…but knew we had to protect others.  When I say we knew what would happen it was a “sort of” because we didn’t realize that quarantine was not the same as isolation.  We had no idea the we would have to move to an inferior cabin ( although it sounds like that may have changed). The reason we call it “prison” is that there was no way to get a hold of people for food or drinks most of the time.  Literally hours on the phone only to get a wrong order or no order delivered.  You can’t lock people up and leave them without service.  It’s just unacceptable.  They were always apologetic but it never changed.  It was 7 days of hell.   When we got home,  all cruises now cancelled.  We were told we would get credits for the days in isolation but nothing received so far and there has been no response to any of our written concerns. They seem to be really backed up.   To be honest,  we have no need for any future credits.  We cannot let them treat us like that again. Traveller beware….be safe and good luck!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

I got quarantined in my own cabin.   I was highly symptomatic, so I really didn't care about the jail part--I didn't feel like going anywhere at all..  What made me mad was the hundreds of dollars the ship's health center charged me--and did nothing for me, but issue a quarantine.  Such a raw deal.  I would have been better off if I had never gone.  If we have a "responsibility" to go get tested if we think we might be sick, that is one thing, but charging us all that just for the "right" to get quarantined is a bit much.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I got quarantined in my own cabin.   I was highly symptomatic, so I really didn't care about the jail part--I didn't feel like going anywhere at all..  What made me mad was the hundreds of dollars the ship's health center charged me--and did nothing for me, but issue a quarantine.  Such a raw deal.  I would have been better off if I had never gone.  If we have a "responsibility" to go get tested if we think we might be sick, that is one thing, but charging us all that just for the "right" to get quarantined is a bit much.  

I’m sorry you got so sick.
Won’t you be submitting those charges to either Princess or your insurance company for reimbursement? 

14 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

This may be TMI but it’s helpful.  I have a severe, rare food allergy called FPIES that causes symptoms just like Noro.  You can purchase emesis bags just like the ones they use in the ER from Amazon.  They are easy to pack and you will be thankful to have them if needed.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, tetleytea said:

I hope your feeling better.  I’m glad you reported that you were symptomatic.

9 hours ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

I hope your feeling better.  I’m glad you reported that you were symptomatic.

This was on a cruise before Covid.   They quarantined me simply for having something contagious.   The reason I reported I was symptomatic was simple:   you go to the doctor thinking they will help heal you.   That didn't happen--they sent me back to my cabin, said I had to quarantine up to 24 hours after my last normal temperature reading, and billed me several hundreds of dollars for it.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drews_Cruise said:

Yes our experience in Jail was horrible on the Ruby.  We also voluntarily got tested as my DW had symptoms.  We knew what would happen…but knew we had to protect others.  When I say we knew what would happen it was a “sort of” because we didn’t realize that quarantine was not the same as isolation.  We had no idea the we would have to move to an inferior cabin ( although it sounds like that may have changed). The reason we call it “prison” is that there was no way to get a hold of people for food or drinks most of the time.  Literally hours on the phone only to get a wrong order or no order delivered.  You can’t lock people up and leave them without service.  It’s just unacceptable.  They were always apologetic but it never changed.  It was 7 days of hell.   When we got home,  all cruises now cancelled.  We were told we would get credits for the days in isolation but nothing received so far and there has been no response to any of our written concerns. They seem to be really backed up.   To be honest,  we have no need for any future credits.  We cannot let them treat us like that again. Traveller beware….be safe and good luck!

I was quarantened on the Emerald for 7 days. I can vouch for the "not being able to get hold of anybody" part. The room they put me in ( balcony on Aloha) had a phone, but the top buttons only went to guest services, room service, or the medical center. I could dial out, but that was only good for calling my own room to leave a message for my wife......It was the only number I knew. Hold times to guest Services averaged 30 minutes, and sometimes were as long as an hour! The medical center never answered their phone. All the while on hold I was assured that my call was very important. My food was always delivered in styrofoam with wooden utensils.

I will say that Chris from room service was an Angel and would call and check up on me if she had not heard from me.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tk2fast said:

Am I alone feeling this way?

No, there are at least two of us. I finally updated my blog and doing that managed to irritate me all over again (maybe that’s why I had been putting that off).

Most people say that we can’t blame Princess for people catching COVID, but, in our case, we kind of can, to some extent. They dropped the protective COVID protocols we were counting on when we booked and that’s when the problems really started. The inadequate quarantine support just added insult to injury.  

• Like 14

11 minutes ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

Most people say that we can’t blame Princess for people catching COVID, but, in our case, we kind of can, to some extent. They dropped the protective COVID protocols we were counting on when we booked and that’s when the problems really started. The inadequate quarantine support just added insult to injury.  

I don't think Princess ever wanted any protocols but they had to in order to comply with the CDC's recommendations.   They use the CDC's guidelines only so they are in compliance.   They can always fall back on the CDC stating that's what they recommended.    I'm not saying it's right, but I think that's what happened.   

Kind of like me booking a cruise for next November thinking that everyone will be vaccinated and have a covid test before boarding.....the day before my cruise they could change the rules and I'd be SOL even though I booked my cruise with the understanding of the vaccination rules/testing.

Now, the way Princess is handling the quarantine situation has been less than stellar and I think it's coming back to bite them in the butt with word getting out and the reviews aren't so great.   It's on CC, FB and about every other social media site.   If they don't read or care about what people are saying then maybe we should be finding another cruise line to support.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2022 at 12:35 AM, Cathygh said:

I can tell you what happens on Enchanted Princess. My husband has symptoms of a cold so he did an LFT and was shocked to see it was positive. So we called Medical who tested me with an antigen test and I was negative. He tested my husband with a pcr which was positive. This was day 8 of our cruise and the medic said cases start to show around day 7 or 8. We had been careful with handwashing and mask wearing.  Anyway we then had to decide  if I would go with him into isolation. I would be allowed to roam around the ship wearing a mask but eat and drink in the cabin. I felt I couldn't leave DH on his own so we were told to pack enough for 6 days. As we go home on the 7th day we brought everything.

So far DH is ok. We have identified some warning signs - insomnia for 2 nights and frequent urination. These are 2 things he doesn't suffer from and have disappeared now. 

We can order from room service and it seems we can order from the main dining room and speciality restaurants too. I am not sure if we would be charged for the later.

In the cabin there are cleaning items and red bags and clear bags but no one has told us what the bags are for. 

It would be really helpful if we were given a letter to tell us what things are for and what happens next. I need to see if I can get pen and paper as if I order room service by phone it would be helpful if I could write it down.Room service is taking 30 mins or more. Somethings we can do on the app but if you want brown sauce then there is no option for that. 

We are still learning but We have both had a good night's sleep. Atm we think there are 2 other couples in isolation on this side of the ship..don't know about the other. One thing we are sure of is that there must be people with symptoms who have not come forward. We realise now we could easily have carried on as before but felt it would be wrong to put others at risk. Btw this is our 5th cruise since the restart and we have always known catching covid on board would be a possibility so I guess it's caught up with DH.

By all means ask questions but I don't know if I can answer them.

Thanks for sharing.  My DH has dementia, so if either of us test positive, we would go in quarantine together.  Have already considered this, we book a mini suite.  It would not be easy for us to be in a balcony cabin with less space but no other option.  Glad we would have a balcony so we could at least get outside for some fresh air at times.   Hope all goes well for you.

On 5/29/2022 at 12:35 AM, Cathygh said:

My DW got to sleep in the same cabin with me when I was quarantined, and I don't know how she did it but somehow I always had food.  Part of it was the buffet line, and part of it was her befriending our cabin steward. 

What would plant me in the "shame on Princess" camp is that they had these quarantine protocols for quite awhile before Covid was a thing.  It's not like Covid was an entirely brand new thing to them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

I don't think Princess ever wanted any protocols but they had to in order to comply with the CDC's recommendations.   They use the CDC's guidelines only so they are in compliance.   They can always fall back on the CDC stating that's what they recommended.    I'm not saying it's right, but I think that's what happened.   

Kind of like me booking a cruise for next November thinking that everyone will be vaccinated and have a covid test before boarding.....the day before my cruise they could change the rules and I'd be SOL even though I booked my cruise with the understanding of the vaccination rules/testing.

Now, the way Princess is handling the quarantine situation has been less than stellar and I think it's coming back to bite them in the butt with word getting out and the reviews aren't so great.   It's on CC, FB and about every other social media site.   If they don't read or care about what people are saying then maybe we should be finding another cruise line to support.

I think you are right.  From our recent cruises it seems like Princess is short staffed in all departments and struggling just to do routine services for passengers.  I cannot imagine they have the staff to adequately provide for and care for a Covid wing on their ships.  I think they are on a slow downward spiral.

• Like 2

On 5/29/2022 at 1:35 AM, Cathygh said:

We can order from room service and it seems we can order from the main dining room and speciality restaurants too. I am not sure if we would be charged for the later.

You definitely can order from the dining room and specialty restaurants, if yiu can get someone to provide you the menus or find them on the app or TV. You should not be charged for the specialty restaurant food that is delivered. However, for some reason, I WAS charged for the pizza that was delivered ($3). So specialty dining…free.  Pizza…charge. 

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, tk2fast said:

After reading all these remarks about the way quarantined passengers were treated by Princess, I am so disgusted.  Am I alone feeling this way?

SHAME ON PRINCESS!

honestly, that was not the bad part. We were scheduled the TA and the next cruise out of Southampton. When I got my test result of ...still positive after 5 days, I was told that we would be put off in quarantine in Southampton. I called my wife and said she needed to find a hotel and make new flighjts reservations. Within an hour I was called by the DR and told his Technician was wrong and we would be allowed to stay on. Great right?.....well, now frantic to contact wife before everything gets cancelled. The Medallion did not work. How was I supposed to contact her?....I called Guest service....on hold for an hour! Finally I got a call from her and everything but my nerves was ok....Then she gets a letter from Guest Service saying we are being put off....She calls me and tells me this. She stands in line at Guest Service for 30 minutes and I am on hold for yet another 30 minutes. When I finally got through I was so angry that I was allowed to speak to the Hotel Director Tommy....the only one on the ship that was helpful. He gave me his direct line.....When that mess got straight we were ok.....well not so much. On Turn around Day the front desk calls me and says I am on the get off the ship list....am I packed.? Much screaming later this is straight.

Relaxing vacation right?....wow!

Doug

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I would not mind the quarantine so much but IF the phone doesn't work and I can't get my traveling companion on the phone they will have issues with me.  Whats to stop me from walking out of the room.  Is the door locked?   They just might have to lock me up in their jail.  Princess you need to get your stuff together.   

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, waltd said:

I would not mind the quarantine so much but IF the phone doesn't work and I can't get my traveling companion on the phone they will have issues with me.  Whats to stop me from walking out of the room.  Is the door locked?   They just might have to lock me up in their jail.  Princess you need to get your stuff together.   

You are locked in the corridor.There are those big doors that are locking you in that open to the elevators and stairs. You have no access out. Don't know if there are people in the hall watching to see if you try to leave.Friend of mine said when she was taken to isolation cabins, she was brought through crew only access areas , not public hallways or elevators.

• Thanks 1

Just now, san diego sue said:

You are locked in the corridor.There are those big doors that are locking you in that open to the elevators and stairs. You have no access out. Don't know if there are people in the hall watching to see if you try to leave.Friend of mine said when she was taken to isolation cabins, she was brought through crew only access areas , not public hallways or elevators.

Thanks Gloria,   Very interesting.   Just venting.  LOL   As I said don't mind the quarantine, don't mind waiting for food,   I could eat torillas and cheese slid under the door but I really have a problem with Princess  holding back calls or keep you from making direct phone calls.   Not a vocal person but I guess I could learn.   😁

• Like 2

The phones worked fine. The issue was that unless you knew the number to dial you were out of luck. I had 3 friends on the cruise, but I did not know their cabin numbers so I could not call them. Guest services would not answer so I could not get any number from them. All I could do is call my cabin and leave a message for my wife. She could not stay in the cabin because she was continuing to stand in line at Guest Services or at the internet center. The internet did not function so I could not use that. The Medallion App was non functional, so on and so on....

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

You definitely can order from the dining room and specialty restaurants, if yiu can get someone to provide you the menus or find them on the app or TV. You should not be charged for the specialty restaurant food that is delivered. However, for some reason, I WAS charged for the pizza that was delivered ($3). So specialty dining…free.  Pizza…charge. 

Does this apply to those in quarantine?

The menu was in the app & tv, when we were on theDiscovery this month with prices shown for Specialty restaurant items and pizza.

we were charged for the pizza from  GiGis as well.