Help from cruiseline after testing Covid positive

p598738

It happened to us. Worse yet, after we left our ship in Barcelona. We had to stay there until my wife and I tested negative

We had to be tested to fly back to the US. My wife tells me that some (all ?) of the lines pickup extra expenses when this happens. Hotel food et al.

Has this happened to anyone else ? How was it handled ?? Thanks.

34 minutes ago, p598738 said:

It happened to us. Worse yet, after we left our ship in Barcelona. We had to stay there until my wife and I tested negative

We had to be tested to fly back to the US. My wife tells me that some (all ?) of the lines pickup extra expenses when this happens. Hotel food et al.

Certainly not "all".  There may be a few cruise lines that will help with extra costs, but, AFAIK, the most "help" any of them give is assistance in locating a hotel.  But it's on you for costs (room, food).

There have been multiple threads on various cruise lines where people tested positive onboard.  They were not all handled the same.  And procedures are still in a stats of flux.  You need to go to the Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Oceania boards…I’m sure there are others but I don’t read them.  There are live from threads detailing their experiences.  You may have to go back many pages, and some of the threads are very long.  Start with the forum for the cruise you were on.  EM

i see from your posting history you were on Oceania Riviera.  You need to follow up on the Oceania board,  it the roll call for your cruise.  Perhaps @Flatbush Flyercan give some insight into what you need to do with Oceania.  

Edited by Essiesmom

6 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

There have been multiple threads on various cruise lines where people tested positive onboard.  They were not all handled the same.  And procedures are still in a stats of flux.  You need to go to the Princess, Celebrity, HAL, Oceania boards…I’m sure there are others but I don’t read them.  There are live from threads detailing their experiences.  You may have to go back many pages, and some of the threads are very long.  Start with the forum for the cruise you were on.  EM

i see from your posting history you were on Oceania Riviera.  You need to follow up on the Oceania board,  it the roll call for your cruise.  Perhaps @Flatbush Flyercan give some insight into what you need to do with Oceania.  

Process for quarantine is all spelled out in the Oceania Covid FAQs. I suggest that OP carefully read the most recent versions of the FAQs, T&Cs and Ticket Contract. 
Though some folks may consider it overkill, know that (prior to embarkation) we contact preferred hotels in the disembark port and set up a reservation if they accept quarantines post cruise. In that way, we’ll have negotiating cards in the choice of hotels).  

14 hours ago, p598738 said:

First of all, I'm sorry this happened to you.  I hope the delayed return was the worst part of it.  Get well soon.

The others in this thread have given good advice - read the cruise line FAQs, read other threads, etc.  Don't interpret anything I say from here on out as a contradiction of any of it.

After you do that, here's some advice.  If you haven't done so already, round up all those expenses you racked up in Barcelona and contact your travel insurance company.  You might be one of the lucky ones that actually have COVID-19 coverage.  If you didn't have TI or your cruise wasn't covered, contact the cruise line.  I think you're going to find that on most lines their coverage for your infection if you tested after the cruise outside of their ship is limited or nonexistent.  But give it a try anyway; if 6 hours with customer service nets you $6,000 in reimbursement, then that's time well spent IMHO.

I'm sorry I don't have a personal experience with this to report.  I hope this helps anyway.

Great comments all. Thanks. Oceania did offer  testing prior to leaving Riviera. Shame on me, we declined. Anyway, after two nights in Barcelona we tested positive.  Evidence of getting infected is that we tested negative 5 days after leaving the ship. Perhaps we had the world's shortest infection. I think not. 

• Thanks 1

I know some like FF prefer to rely on cruise contracts, FAQs, and promises (that seem to go unfulfilled on many lines).  We have been traveling throughout the pandemic and been on multiple cruises in the past year.  On March 27 we debarked the Seabourn Ovation in Monte Carlo.  Despite more then a few COVID cases aboard (never formally acknowledged by SB) there was no required testing before debarkation.  If folks had been tested aboard and were positive they would have been covered by a SB guarantee.  By not testing everyone SB essentially was off the hook for the untested.  We are still traveling in Europe but will need to test before flying home.  If we test positive we are on our own to deal with COVID and eventually find our way home.  

This is not much different than any illness or accident.  It is up to the folks to deal with insurance (if you have it) and deal with any extra expenses.  Folks that are very risk adverse are well advised to contact a decent travel insurance broker and pay the big bucks for decent insurance.  Those of us who can live with some risk had best be prepared to handle any extra expenses (self insure).

Hank

• Like 2