Question RE: ordering BinaxNOW test kits

sharkster77

A question for those who have ordered the BinaxNOW test kits to COVID test in order to re-enter the US:   once the order was placed, how long did it take for your kits to arrive?   We're traveling next month, and want one less worry (stressing over getting our kits on time).

We plan on getting a six-pack, so we'll have enough for our other trip in the fall.

Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, macaroni said:

What expiration dates are showing on the ones you getting delivered now?

Ordered ours in February for a mid March cruise. Received them in 3-4 business days via FedEx. All the same batch. Manufactured 28-12-2021 and expire 21-11-2022.

We find the BinaxNOW/eMed solution both easy and reliable. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sharkster77 said:

We're traveling next month, and want one less worry (stressing over getting our kits on time).

If you are traveling next month, just order them now.  And stop stressing. 🙂 

The expiration dates should be fine.  

• Like 1

The kits we ordered in March 2022 came in a few days and don't expire until May 2023.  We used two at our Paris hotel last week, and will have plenty of time to use up the other four before they expire [if the US keeps the requirement].

@sharkster77, we bought four kits from Delta back in early January when we were planning a trip to Finland to see the Northern Lights. They arrived within a few days and they expire in November.

Omicron was surging and we figured that we'd better have them on hand just in case. Also, antigen tests are/were exorbitantly expensive in Finland, so $30 per test looked really cheap.

Like you, we were super stressed out about testing positive in Finland and getting stuck there in January. It got so bad that neither of us could sleep well in the days leading up to our departure date, and it really put a damper on any excitement that we might have had about the trip. So we ended up canceling and rescheduling the trip at the last minute. No shame at all in being stressed about that... You are definitely not alone there.

We used two of the kits in Paris last month, to come home after a trip to Slovenia and Croatia. The tests were easy to do and the proctoring worked great. We'll take the other two kits to Milan in a few weeks and use them to come home as well. Hopefully, they work just as well!

One caveat with the Binax tests - if you have not used them before, they work best if you download the Navica app and create an account before you start the test. I think there is a workaround if you don't use the app, but using the app made it very simple.

HOWEVER - you can't download the app from a location outside the US! We learned that in Paris...when I went to download the app, I got an error message. I had to rely on my rudimentary hacker skills, and use my VPN to trick it before I could download the app, but it was a real pain. Best to download the app and have your account all set up before you leave the US.

Good luck with your upcoming trip!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

@sharkster77, we bought four kits from Delta back in early January when we were planning a trip to Finland to see the Northern Lights. They arrived within a few days and they expire in November.

Omicron was surging and we figured that we'd better have them on hand just in case. Also, antigen tests are/were exorbitantly expensive in Finland, so $30 per test looked really cheap.

Like you, we were super stressed out about testing positive in Finland and getting stuck there in January. It got so bad that neither of us could sleep well in the days leading up to our departure date, and it really put a damper on any excitement that we might have had about the trip. So we ended up canceling and rescheduling the trip at the last minute. No shame at all in being stressed about that... You are definitely not alone there.

We used two of the kits in Paris last month, to come home after a trip to Slovenia and Croatia. The tests were easy to do and the proctoring worked great. We'll take the other two kits to Milan in a few weeks and use them to come home as well. Hopefully, they work just as well!

One caveat with the Binax tests - if you have not used them before, they work best if you download the Navica app and create an account before you start the test. I think there is a workaround if you don't use the app, but using the app made it very simple.

HOWEVER - you can't download the app from a location outside the US! We learned that in Paris...when I went to download the app, I got an error message. I had to rely on my rudimentary hacker skills, and use my VPN to trick it before I could download the app, but it was a real pain. Best to download the app and have your account all set up before you leave the US.

Good luck with your upcoming trip!

Thanks JP--just one quickie:  The app is used to create the account, but you launch the test from the website, correct?  That's that part that seems confusing, the button on the site that says "Start A Test"

Edited by sharkster77

That sounds right. We launched the test from the app but then it sent you to the website. So theoretically you could just launch the test from the eMed website without ever using the app, and get the test result emailed to you. 

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

That sounds right. We launched the test from the app but then it sent you to the website. So theoretically you could just launch the test from the eMed website without ever using the app, and get the test result emailed to you. 

We launched it from the App and it never activated our computers at all – all was done from the phone.  The technician was able to switch from front camera to rear camera [which was confusing because we weren't aware it was happening, but eventually we got the phone pointed in the right direction!]  I'm not sure they really had a clear enough picture to read the faint lines – they asked us to describe them!  But tbh getting a negative result is what it's all about when you're ready to fly home!

• Like 1

Jazz, sorry for the lack of clarity. When we used the app to start the test, it opened Chrome in a separate window, which took us to the eMed site to sign in and continue the process. But it was all on our phones.

And yes, the switches between the front and back cameras were hard to keep up with!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Jazz, sorry for the lack of clarity. When we used the app to start the test, it opened Chrome in a separate window, which took us to the eMed site to sign in and continue the process. But it was all on our phones.

And yes, the switches between the front and back cameras were hard to keep up with!

Can you see me now?  😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

Can you see me now?  😀

We ordered six kits because we needed two to board our ship after a few days of touring and then two more to renter the US. We thought a couple 'extra' might be a good idea. Our guess was correct because one of the kits didn't include the vile of fluid needed for the test. Thank goodness we had backup. Unfortunately, the company did not reimburse us for the useless test. I can't say I was impressed. 

Paul

On 5/9/2022 at 6:23 PM, sharkster77 said:

A question for those who have ordered the BinaxNOW test kits to COVID test in order to re-enter the US:   once the order was placed, how long did it take for your kits to arrive?   We're traveling next month, and want one less worry (stressing over getting our kits on time).

We plan on getting a six-pack, so we'll have enough for our other trip in the fall.

Thanks in advance!

We ordered kits last Sunday (15 May).  We received them two days later, Tuesday, 17 May.  Overnight FedEx was the only shipping option offered to our location--about $22.

The expiration date on the kits is January 2023.  We bought six kits to cover three trips to Europe in the remainder of 2022, so we should be good to go.

Thanks @Wings55 for the tip on packing an extra kit, in case we screw up one or if there is a missing part of the kit.  (I hope the company at least offered a replacement for the kit with the missing vial if they would not reimburse you.)  Thanks also to other posters for the tip on ensuring one has downloaded the testing app and set up accounts for each person prior to travel (presuming one's home internet is better than that on the ship or hotel).  Of course, now that we've all gone to the trouble, the United States will drop the testing requirement... 

Thanks,

2 hours ago, loriva said:

We ordered kits last Sunday (15 May).  We received them two days later, Tuesday, 17 May.  Overnight FedEx was the only shipping option offered to our location--about $22.

The expiration date on the kits is January 2023.  We bought six kits to cover three trips to Europe in the remainder of 2022, so we should be good to go.

Thanks @Wings55 for the tip on packing an extra kit, in case we screw up one or if there is a missing part of the kit.  (I hope the company at least offered a replacement for the kit with the missing vial if they would not reimburse you.)  Thanks also to other posters for the tip on ensuring one has downloaded the testing app and set up accounts for each person prior to travel (presuming one's home internet is better than that on the ship or hotel).  Of course, now that we've all gone to the trouble, the United States will drop the testing requirement... 

Thanks,

Thanks for the info, @loriva,  LOL--those are my sentiments exactly.  We have a tour next month and in September, so our plan is to order 6 kits.  I know that the SECOND I click  "order", my news feed will tell me that the stupid test requirement has been rescinded!!!  Hassle the unvaccinated, leave the rest of us alone!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, loriva said:

Of course, now that we've all gone to the trouble, the United States will drop the testing requirement... 

20 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

I know that the SECOND I click  "order", my news feed will tell me that the stupid test requirement has been rescinded!!!  Hassle the unvaccinated, leave the rest of us alone!!!!!

If that is what it takes for the US to drop the tests I'll take one for the team and order some tests immediately!😆

• Like 3
  • Haha 2