How much do you tip?

travellingnana

56 minutes ago, rbtan said:

..If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to tip. 

I do tip. Most of us do it in the auto gratuity which now fortinately cannot be removed for all those who buy the plus or premier pkg. The OP was asking about in addition to that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ombud said:

Most of us do it in the auto gratuity which now fortinately cannot be removed for all those who buy the plus or premier pkg.

I've read lots of folks saying that but I'm not quite certain it's completely true. If you had a legitimate problem & sat down with a Princess supervisor to explain your situation, it just might be possible. 

• Like 1

Ok, I've been thinking about this for the past few days (specifically, the tipping for drink service).

And with lack of anything better to do, I did some calculations.

Let's say a ship has 2,000 passengers and 50% of them get the drink package on a 7 day cruise.   This generates $75.59/pp per day in tips.  Multiply that by 1,000 people = $75,587.40.    This does not include the people that purchase drinks individually or bottles of wine.     So, my question is, how many people benefit from this $75,587.40?    I have no idea if it is split amongst every crew member or just the bar service/bar tenders/bar backs?    

I'm not trying to start a debate whether this is/isn't a lot of money, I'm just more curious as to who is getting their share of the $75,587.40?.   I think my figures are conservative, but I may be out to lunch.   Does anyone know?

4 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

Ok, I've been thinking about this for the past few days (specifically, the tipping for drink service).

And with lack of anything better to do, I did some calculations.

Let's say a ship has 2,000 passengers and 50% of them get the drink package on a 7 day cruise.   This generates $75.59/pp per day in tips.  Multiply that by 1,000 people = $75,587.40.    This does not include the people that purchase drinks individually or bottles of wine.     So, my question is, how many people benefit from this $75,587.40?    I have no idea if it is split amongst every crew member or just the bar service/bar tenders/bar backs?    

I'm not trying to start a debate whether this is/isn't a lot of money, I'm just more curious as to who is getting their share of the $75,587.40?.   I think my figures are conservative, but I may be out to lunch.   Does anyone know?

hope you enjoyed your lunch.

your figures are based on the stand alone drink package of $60 pp pd - which generates your $10.60 pp pd in 'tips' , so the $75.59.

except in cases of tons of OBC to burn thru - why would anyone buy that package when Plus costs $40pp pd and includes the drinks, wifi , grats...

the split? well who really knows.

Per the Princess web site gratuity is shared ACROSS the entire fleet.  So all tips are pooled. It is assumed we are supplementing the non tipping countries like Australia since the policy went to FLEET WIDE and your tipping does not stay on the ship you gave the tip. There is no gty that it goes to the dept you want it to. It is used for compensation, bonus and other ways Princess desires and a fee if taken off the top for charges and administration. 

The “Crew Appreciation” is a daily amount for each guest that will be automatically added to your onboard account for your convenience, to recognize the efforts of a wide variety of crewmembers who contribute to the experiences of all our guests.  The crewmembers eligible to receive these funds work in various departments, many of whom rotate among different ships, throughout our fleet of ships. The amount of the Crew Appreciation will be based on stateroom category, as set out below:

All of the Crew Appreciation and Service Charge payments made by all guests on all ships in our fleet are pooled, net of credit card transaction fees. The pooled funds are distributed throughout the year in the form of compensation, including bonuses, to crewmembers fleetwide who interact directly with guests and/or behind the scenes throughout every cruise, including those in the Bar, Dining, Entertainment, Housekeeping, Guest Services, Galley and Onboard Revenue areas.