How much do you tip?

travellingnana

11 hours ago, Charleyben said:

…but I always seek out the more deserving.  Those staff who maintain the plumbing , ….receive my appreciation.

Edited by Kiran
  • Like 1

You force me to admit that on our precruise stay at the Mark Hopkins, i did ask the front desk to pass on a ten dollar bill to the plumbing worker for unclogging our toilet.

There are certain things  i  am really grateful for , and a working toilet is one of them

• Like 3

On 5/9/2022 at 10:14 PM, Ombud said:

I'm cheap.  $20 waiter / $20 asst waiter / $20 Head Waiter I'm assigned to (he's the one who takes my special meal order) & inform corporate how helpful he was / $20 steward /$2 each room service. But I've noticed that the room service & steward like those dove chocolates & individual chip bags. I laughed when someone mentioned that here on CC but they disappeared!! Told steward to take 1or 2 each day (his choice, he liked BBQ chips) and asked each room service person to help self if s/he wanted. Odd thing ..... after the 3rd time I got the same guy every day and he would go straight for the dove chocolates. 

Yes packing dove chocolates for next trip too

Boy, you're not afraid to tell all how cheap you are! We normally do 14 day cruises. We leave on the auto tip(those who remove them should be tossed off the ship) We give the cabin attendant about $100. Same for our waiter(if we're in trad dining)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, rbtan said:

Boy, you're not afraid to tell all how cheap you are! We normally do 14 day cruises. We leave on the auto tip(those who remove them should be tossed off the ship) We give the cabin attendant about $100. Same for our waiter(if we're in trad dining)

Seems over the top to me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Now we are starting to get into who and what is a cheap tipper and who and what is a large tipper.  Not a good path to head down.

It's inevitable but hey, it took about 80 posts to get here. That's got to be some kind of a record. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, rbtan said:

Boy, you're not afraid to tell all how cheap you are! 

Not at all afraid! I normally do 7 day cruises, they get a paycheck as well so it's not like some states/areas that don't pay a living wage. This is just supplemental income

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

As it does to me, but we're just not in the same income bracket to afford giving tips like that. 😉

Me either. And I LOVE those no tipping zones in SF Bay Area where they just up the hourly wage & hours so people aren't dependent on 'charitable tips' to cover rent / food / utilities. 

2 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Now we are starting to get into who and what is a cheap tipper and who and what is a large tipper.  Not a good path to head down.

Not a competition.  I'm the cheap one who would prefer it just get added into their salary or have it be guaranteed  ..... oh they did that with Princess Plus and Premier 😉

• Like 1

I tip on top of the Princess Plus package based on service.  The standard gratuity are divided amongst the crew members and at the end they don't get much.

Stateroom: $10/day

Drink delivery: $1-$2

Dining Crew - $10-$20/day

Bartenders: $1-$2 or $10 mimicking closing tab after several drinks

Buffet Food servers: $1-$5.  Some of the food servers go out of their way and I tip accordingly.  I request papaya in the morning and they go downstairs at the dining room to get some.  Other servers just say they don't have any. 

Again it's based on service.

36 minutes ago, Potstech said:

You tip each of the buffet servers?  WOW.

I agree - how do you do that ? Five or six different servers, plus three or four wait staff. That's about $15 in tips for lunch in the buffet! 

My system is best.  Pay the autotips, and then leave your wallet in the safe! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

I agree - how do you do that ? Five or six different servers, plus three or four wait staff. That's about $15 in tips for lunch in the buffet! 

Wallet?  Sounds more like a case of sprinkling fairy dust.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

That is mine also. Let the cruise line pay their employees wages. Do not ask the passengers to supplement it. Not my job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wowzz said:

That last sentence is ambiguous. Do you actually purchase a new wallet after a cruise or did you purchase them in bulk?  😉

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, TahitiSun said:

If you give individual tips, are they required to turn them into the pool?  We do this in addition to the auto gratuities.

Pre-pandemic cabin stewards and dining room staff were required to turn them in but would have them returned if the giver had not reduced or eliminated the daily gratuity charge.

Currently, they are no longer required to turn them in for this checking. Probably because with so many passengers having booked with a package that includes the daily gratuity, it is a waste oif effort to continue the checking process.

• Like 2

I always find these tipping threads interesting to see the difference between UK and USA, it is such a cultural divide. In the UK we do tip but it is in some restaurants and hairdressers only so our default is not to tip except for exceptional service. Americans seem to tip automatically. It is interesting the P & O which caters more for the UK market has rolled in the gratuities to the price of the cruise for a few years now which makes a lot more sense to me.

Personally we always leave the automatic tips on and never tip more except if the room steward has been especially helpful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, darnoc23 said:

I tip on top of the Princess Plus package based on service.  The standard gratuity are divided amongst the crew members and at the end they don't get much.

Stateroom: $10/day

Drink delivery: $1-$2

Dining Crew - $10-$20/day

Bartenders: $1-$2 or $10 mimicking closing tab after several drinks

Buffet Food servers: $1-$5.  Some of the food servers go out of their way and I tip accordingly.  I request papaya in the morning and they go downstairs at the dining room to get some.  Other servers just say they don't have any. 

Again it's based on service.

So to tip all of that on top of the fact that you have already paid Crew Appreciation is way over the top for a 14 nt cruise on top of paying Princess Plus package you are paying best part of $500 extra in tips. I pay Princess Plus package or if in the past before Princess Plus was available I usually removed auto tips and then decide what tips to give depending on service and not to be told what to tip by Princess.

3 hours ago, Neil_c said:

I always find these tipping threads interesting to see the difference between UK and USA, it is such a cultural divide.

I think it's because minimum wage varies so much in the US. All the way from $7.25 hr (federal) - $15 hr (here). No tipping zones add up to $5 an hour + healthcare. 

13 hours ago, brisalta said:

That last sentence is ambiguous. Do you actually purchase a new wallet after a cruise or did you purchase them in bulk?  😉

Cute, I had to read that twice before I got it 🙂 

On 5/15/2022 at 12:00 PM, MissP22 said:

As it does to me, but we're just not in the same income bracket to afford giving tips like that. 😉

Trust me. Either are we. Now remember, I'm referring to 14 day cruises, not a short cruise. We're both in the hospitality fields. So we believe in taking care of our "own". That being said ..If you can afford to cruise, you can afford to tip. We were first hand to a couple on our tour group  years back who pocketed the auto tip on a Cunard trip. My spouse was pretty insistent on leaving this couple at the pier & not allowed to board the chartered bus home. The fact these people bragged about it was horrid.

• Like 2