Onboard covid testing day before flight back to US from Vancouver...

NavyCruiser

On our Viking cruise a few months ago, they provided free covid test onboard on day before our last day/day before our flight back to US.  Easy peasy.

On our land based European tour last month, they had covid test at hotel for $30 day before.  Results emailed 1 hour later.  Easy peasy.

Our upcoming cruise in June has entire sea day in inside passage on day (Sat) before docking back in Vancouver (Sun).  All of our group of 30, along with most of our fellow 3000 passengers onboard, are flying back to the US, thus need proctored covid test to fly.

I assume:

1.  Cruise ship (RCCL) doesn't provide staff & tests kits onboard

2.  Majority will bring their own Emed proctored test kits, since they don't want to wait last minute to test at pier the morning that they're flying out

3.  Everyone will log onto ship's wifi to do proctored test

Assume that we're too far out/away from good reliable TMobile cell signal while in inside passage.

So will/are ship's wifi good enough to handle the massive load of video conf calls to do proctored tests on that Sat?

Guess RCCL won't be giving us free wifi for that day, & One of us must purchase the wifi pkg for the day & take turn to share access?

I saw a Radiance of the Seas review from a week or 2 ago, and they were able to do the proctored test on the last sea day before arriving in Vancouver even though they had internet issues for most of the cruise.

I'm still debating between purchasing the wifi package, just getting wifi for that last sea day, trying to use Verizon service after we dock in Vancouver, doing a proctored test after getting off the ship, or going to a local testing place after getting off the ship since our flight isn't until 5:30pm.

I'm hoping the US drops the arrival testing before mid-June.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

On our Viking cruise a few months ago, they provided free covid test onboard on day before our last day/day before our flight back to US.  Easy peasy.

On our land based European tour last month, they had covid test at hotel for $30 day before.  Results emailed 1 hour later.  Easy peasy.

Our upcoming cruise in June has entire sea day in inside passage on day (Sat) before docking back in Vancouver (Sun).  All of our group of 30, along with most of our fellow 3000 passengers onboard, are flying back to the US, thus need proctored covid test to fly.

I assume:

1.  Cruise ship (RCCL) doesn't provide staff & tests kits onboard

2.  Majority will bring their own Emed proctored test kits, since they don't want to wait last minute to test at pier the morning that they're flying out

3.  Everyone will log onto ship's wifi to do proctored test

Assume that we're too far out/away from good reliable TMobile cell signal while in inside passage.

So will/are ship's wifi good enough to handle the massive load of video conf calls to do proctored tests on that Sat?

Guess RCCL won't be giving us free wifi for that day, & One of us must purchase the wifi pkg for the day & take turn to share access?

I have been seeing this more and more with cruise lines that they are now leaving cruisers on their own for testing which makes it very stressful. Personally Wi-Fi on board makes me a little worried and I wouldn't trust it since there will be so many users trying to do the same thing the day before disembarking. So just in case that self testing option does not work well due to Wi-Fi connection on the cruise then not sure if this may be helpful or an option for you but there is a testing clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver inside the Vancouver Convention Centre which is soo convenient for us cruisers!! You can book an appointment online and I heard they also accept walk-ins.  Here is the link in case you want to check them out https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, pattycruisealot21 said:

I have been seeing this more and more with cruise lines that they are now leaving cruisers on their own for testing which makes it very stressful. Personally Wi-Fi on board makes me a little worried and I wouldn't trust it since there will be so many users trying to do the same thing the day before disembarking. So just in case that self testing option does not work well due to Wi-Fi connection on the cruise then not sure if this may be helpful or an option for you but there is a testing clinic that is actually right next to the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver inside the Vancouver Convention Centre which is soo convenient for us cruisers!! You can book an appointment online and I heard they also accept walk-ins.  Here is the link in case you want to check them out https://covid-medical.ca/covid-19-test-book-online/  

The issue of waiting until the last day, or the morning of returning flight day, to do test at the pier is:

1.  Might be hundreds of people in line to do test

2.  $79, instead of $30 Emed

3.  Too stressful with tight timeline

Would rather to take our time to do proctored test the day before... 

I’m worrying about this too and don’t know what to do. If I decide to test on the ship, I suppose I’ll just buy wifi on that last sea day and hope for the best on the ship. My flight out is 12:45 so I don’t have any time to do it that morning at the pier. 

Question please....If you do the proctored test onboard and test positive is RCI then responsible to provide a hotel and change of flight. Saw a post on my rollcall for the July Arctic Circle and it seemed like someone was posting about this scenario and the fact that if you test positive once off the ship to make your flight back to the US then you're on your own. Hope someone can clear this up...Thanks.

16 hours ago, Ashland said:

Question please....If you do the proctored test onboard and test positive is RCI then responsible to provide a hotel and change of flight. Saw a post on my rollcall for the July Arctic Circle and it seemed like someone was posting about this scenario and the fact that if you test positive once off the ship to make your flight back to the US then you're on your own. Hope someone can clear this up...Thanks.

Canadian rules make the cruiseline 100% for your quarantine - transport to the hotel, room fees, food - if you are positive onboard, for 10 days less however many you have already been isolated for onboard. That's all though, with a potential weasel exemption that the line is only responsible for passengers who do not already have their own quarantine plans! So tell anyone who asks that you have no plan!

And in terms of flights - if booked through the line, I would guess you are likely to get those rearranged for you, but independent flights I seriously doubt any offer of payment for since Canada is not forcing them to do it. Good will, bad press etc. is all well and good, but given the abandoning of disembarkation day testing in an obvious 'shift cost and responsiblity onto pax' move, I very much doubt that any compensation will be offered that isn't mandated by government...

• Thanks 2

I've just rescheduled post cruise transportation to ground.  Rebooked original flight (Vancouver to SFO) to depart from SeaTac and, bought tickets for the Quick Shuttle (curbside Canada Place pickup to SeaTac) rather than trying to take the test once we get to Vancouver.

Makes a long travel day but based on a dozen Alaskan cruises, I do not want to be relying on the ship's WiFi to take a proctored test!

(We are doing a B2B on two different cruise lines with a 10 day land tour between the cruises.  Taking a test before embarking at Vancouver, taking an eMed proctored test in Seward at our AirBnB and then was suppose to take test before our flight out of Vancouver.  Didn't want to buy/pay for another test on this  trip.  Hence, the rescheduling of transportation.)

3 hours ago, disneyochem said:

I've just rescheduled post cruise transportation to ground.  Rebooked original flight (Vancouver to SFO) to depart from SeaTac and, bought tickets for the Quick Shuttle (curbside Canada Place pickup to SeaTac) rather than trying to take the test once we get to Vancouver.

Makes a long travel day but based on a dozen Alaskan cruises, I do not want to be relying on the ship's WiFi to take a proctored test!

(We are doing a B2B on two different cruise lines with a 10 day land tour between the cruises.  Taking a test before embarking at Vancouver, taking an eMed proctored test in Seward at our AirBnB and then was suppose to take test before our flight out of Vancouver.  Didn't want to buy/pay for another test on this  trip.  Hence, the rescheduling of transportation.)

Question: Simliar scenario here. Finish on Radiance June 3rd. Flight back that day at 5pm. Why do I need to take a emed covid test the day before on the cruise and worry about connectivity right? I can just take it during the day in Vancover prior to arriving at the airport correct when we have good wifi or just our 5G??

You dont need a test to get through Canadian port customs after debarking do you?

9 hours ago, tdtanc said:

Question: Simliar scenario here. Finish on Radiance June 3rd. Flight back that day at 5pm. Why do I need to take a emed covid test the day before on the cruise and worry about connectivity right? I can just take it during the day in Vancover prior to arriving at the airport correct when we have good wifi or just our 5G??

You dont need a test to get through Canadian port customs after debarking do you?

Your flight is late enough that should be fine. The US wants the test, not Canada, so you'll be good getting off the ship. I'm not sure that all US carriers have global roaming 5G yet, so you may need a strong enough wifi connection or get tested at one of the facilities in Vancouver. 

Edited by trueeden
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, tdtanc said:

Originally we were scheduled to fly home from Vancouver.  US requires a negative Covid test in order to fly into the US hence the need for a proctored test at the end of our cruise.

We decided we didn’t want to try to complete an online proctored test on the ship or once we disembarked in Vancouver.  Hubby was not comfortable sharing/doing a Covid test in public.  We looked into getting a day room at the Pan Pacific and other hotels for some privacy/internet but finally just decided to go to Seattle and then fly home.  And, it would have been the third test on this trip.  Guess we are also suffering from Covid test fatigue…..

Just a personal preference, I suppose.  

Edited by disneyochem
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 9:33 AM, NavyCruiser said:

The issue of waiting until the last day, or the morning of returning flight day, to do test at the pier is:

1.  Might be hundreds of people in line to do test

2.  $79, instead of $30 Emed

3.  Too stressful with tight timeline

Would rather to take our time to do proctored test the day before... 

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are other options for proctored COVID tests where you bring your own FDA approved kits (those are the free ones you received from the Feds) and they watch you do the test and email you the results. Here are the two links:

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYKUBhDJARIsAMj9lkHw_SulB6xHn4_vappPhjda1s9HNbNSuO34curOuzP5gAHV4PaPgPUaAr60EALw_wcB

On these you only pay for the proctoring.

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, disneyochem said:

We booked with Quick Shuttle also to get us to SEA. Fortunately SEA was part of our original itinerary so we were able to cancel our Delta flight from YVR  to SEA and kept the rest of our trip intact.

When using the CBP MPC app, what did you use as mode and port of entry? I only saw airplane and cruise ship. No mention of shuttle/land entry. Thanks.

I just got off the Serenade of the Seas on Sunday. I had a 12:45 flight. We self- assisted off the ship, took a cab right to the airport. CVMedical is testing right by check in. We scheduled our test, but you could also walk-up. Our results were emailed in 30 minutes. We were checked in and through security and customs by 9:45 AM. Hope this helps someone out.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, bulldogmommy said:

I just got off the Serenade of the Seas on Sunday. I had a 12:45 flight. We self- assisted off the ship, took a cab right to the airport. CVMedical is testing right by check in. We scheduled our test, but you could also walk-up. Our results were emailed in 30 minutes. We were checked in and through security and customs by 9:45 AM. Hope this helps someone out.

CVMedical by what checkin counter .... at the airport? So you had your test and through everything by 9:45 and at your gate? What was the cost of your test? And did you have any trouble getting a taxi?

I just remember it being so busy, crowded and long taxi lines.

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

CVMedical by what checkin counter .... at the airport? So you had your test and through everything by 9:45 and at your gate? What was the cost of your test? And did you have any trouble getting a taxi?

If you stand in front of the airline check-in counters on level three of the Vancouver airport  CVMedical is located on the far right at the end of the line and near the stair entrance to the Vancouver Fairmont hotel.  The price last month was C$79 per person.  We had reservations but they do accept walk-in appointments.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ashland said:

nothern aurora explained it perfectly. With fees, it totaled 82$/person. We beat the crowds by being one of the first people to depart the ship. We were in a taxi in about 5 minutes. It was very organized. And yes to confirm, I was drinking my Starbucks at my gate before 10am. The Fairmont Hotel was also hosting testing as well, but I am not sure the company name. Hope this helps, feel free to follow up with any questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, nini said:

The SECRET is to take the Princess transfer to Seatac, and fly home from there! No testing required! This is a MAJOR flaw in Biden's declaration and policy.

Says who?  Maybe someday we won't have to test to fly back to USA from a foreign port.  You can take your 5 hour bus ride.  No thanks.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Says who?  Maybe someday we won't have to test to fly back to USA from a foreign port.  You can take your 5 hour bus ride.  No thanks.

Okie Dokie..... This information may help someone else and work well for them. We live in Washington State and I shared this helpful hint for others and obviously not you.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 4:57 PM, Gray Lady said:

Just wanted to let everyone know that there are other options for proctored COVID tests where you bring your own FDA approved kits (those are the free ones you received from the Feds) and they watch you do the test and email you the results. Here are the two links:

https://www.totaltestingsolutions.com/virtual-travel-testing/

https://onpoint-testing.com/product/certified-teleservice-covid-testing/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwyYKUBhDJARIsAMj9lkHw_SulB6xHn4_vappPhjda1s9HNbNSuO34curOuzP5gAHV4PaPgPUaAr60EALw_wcB

On these you only pay for the proctoring.

Not all covid tests sent from the government qualify for reentry. I got IHealth tests and although you can purchase a "proctored sessios" using the free tests, IHealth says they are all sold out.

4 hours ago, gotcha3 said:

Not all covid tests sent from the government qualify for reentry. I got IHealth tests and although you can purchase a "proctored sessios" using the free tests, IHealth says they are all sold out.

I may be confused by what you are saying. Just asking for clarification. I have called two other testing sites that offer on-line proctoring. They both said that as long as your self administered test is FDA approved, it qualifies for re-entry to USA. They both specifically said that Ihealth qualifies. Do you mean that IHealth is sold out of proctored test spots that they offer?

8 hours ago, nini said:

Okie Dokie..... This information may help someone else and work well for them. We live in Washington State and I shared this helpful hint for others and obviously not you.

Your information was very helpful.  Your political comment is boorish.  

• Like 1