Has anybody ever cruised on a 7 day with nothing but backpacks?

atexsix

11 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Three questions come to mind:

1) What did he have in the "ditty bag"?

2) Do you know what a "ditty bag" is?

3) Was he serving time on a prison ship?

1. He was in the U.S. Navy so I’m guessing he had uniforms, something called dungarees, books, and a GameBoy.

2. I served in the U.S. Air Force, so I don’t speak squid, sorry.

3. Sort of a prison ship. He couldn’t leave. He was on a ship in the Gulf and on the way home got waylaid by a humanitarian mission when a Tsunami hit in the Indian Ocean. Supposedly the longest deployment since 1944?? 

I was on a 20 day cruise and was talking with a lady and her husband who were on for 10 days and all they had was two backpacks. I told my wife and she wanted to meet them. My wife took one suitcase with just shoes in it and two suitcases with her clothes. 😳

Tony

• Like 2

On 5/21/2022 at 10:45 PM, Tonopah said:

1. He was in the U.S. Navy so I’m guessing he had uniforms, something called dungarees, books, and a GameBoy.

2. I served in the U.S. Air Force, so I don’t speak squid, sorry.

3. Sort of a prison ship. He couldn’t leave. He was on a ship in the Gulf and on the way home got waylaid by a humanitarian mission when a Tsunami hit in the Indian Ocean. Supposedly the longest deployment since 1944?? 

I believe you were referring to his sea bag - which holds a lot - rather than his ditty bag - which might hold some needles and thread for sewing, and perhaps a pen and some paper for corrrespondence.  On my midshipman cruises my sea bag carried all I needed for several weeks - plus some unauthorized civilian gear.

On more that a few occasions we have seen backpacks refused as carry on because of their size and their weight.  In those instances they were much longer, wider, and looked much heavier than our 8KG carry on rollers.   We have seen many travelers with backpacks that are far larger than outr 20 or 22 inch roller carry -ons.

Backpacks come in all sizes.  Some are convertible.  Seems to me that the Ric Steves store sells a convertible backpack.  Carry on (no wheels) w/backpack straps.

31 minutes ago, iancal said:

On more that a few occasions we have seen backpacks refused as carry on because of their size and their weight.  In those instances they were much longer, wider, and looked much heavier than our 8KG carry on rollers.   We have seen many travelers with backpacks that are far larger than outr 20 or 22 inch roller carry -ons.

Backpacks come in all sizes.  Some are convertible.  Seems to me that the Ric Steves store sells a convertible backpack.  Carry on (no wheels) w/backpack straps.

I have a bag like that - within width and depth, but too long.  I'll check it for planes, but it fits easily into the train overheads.  Usually used on a winter vacation where special things are required.

On 5/22/2022 at 12:41 AM, Lucky TGO said:

I was on a 20 day cruise and was talking with a lady and her husband who were on for 10 days and all they had was two backpacks. I told my wife and she wanted to meet them. My wife took one suitcase with just shoes in it and two suitcases with her clothes. 😳

Tony

What a crazy range. I could never dream of either. 

I'd never take a backpack because the few times I've used them, my back suffered mightily.  But, I can travel with one 20-22 inch wheeled bag, which I check, normally, and a smaller carryon size for misc. things I need on a longer flight.  The bag I use for this has room for two shoes in a separate compartment.

No, it's not super small, but I have managed a 14 day cruise plus 4 days in Amsterdam easily enough.  Since we sometimes travel with 26" bags plus a small carry-on, and I knew I'd have to be hauling a bag around buses, subways, trains, steps etc. while in Amsterdam, just didn't want a big heavy one.

I'm in my upper 70's now and in pretty good shape for my age.  I don't mind hand washing some things and will send clothing out if needed (seldom do).  I'm also a small person, so clothes and shoes don't take up as much space.  I take mostly things that are light-weight and don't wrinkle easily.  Lots of leggings and two pairs of shoes, besides the ones I wear.

We are planning a 5 week trip to Australia and New Zealand next year that includes two cruises plus time before and between cruises for additional touring.  I'm already trying to figure out if I can manage to get everything I need in the above cases, understanding that we will be experiencing weather that possibly goes from 40's (New Zealand) to 95+ (Red Center).  I think I can do it!  Also one cruise is on Princess, so I can use the laundromat.

On 5/19/2022 at 5:24 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Right -  they do not do it with back packs.  They know it is smarter to let the wheels carry the weight most of the time.

While we also use wheeling bags, a backpack can have advantages, especially if visiting less developed areas or going up and down a lot of stairs into subways.  Flight attendents tend to stay in airports and hotels where wheeling bags are the most practical solution.

For me a backpack can be better in some itineraries, a wheeling bag for others.  A wheeling bag is generally better for cruising, though having a light backpack for port visits is often handy to carry lunch, a coat or something you might need on shore.  So we usually have 2 small wheeling overhead bags and a small backpack we carry on and put under the plane seat.  The backpack contents tend to be light items like phone chargers, neck pillows for long flights, maybe a pair of shoes that didnt fit, or our collapsable hiking poles that are ok for air security.

Edited by Pizzasteve
  • Like 1

I'd rather use a rolling carry-on suitcase, but -- yes -- I could easily pack for a cruise in a good-sized backpack.  Do you know the 5-4-3-2-1 capsule packing formula?  People break it down different ways, but here's what I like to take for a week: 

5 tops:  I like one to be a simple white or black top, and I like two to be prints.

4 bottoms:  I like one to be a pair of jeans (or jean shorts).

3 dresses + 3 pairs of shoes

2 layering pieces + 2 swimsuits with cover-ups 

1 each: nightgown, lounge outfit, and -- if needed -- gym outfit 

This is 22 items and never fails.  Don't make everything the same color, but do make sure each item can be made into multiple outfits.  Even with underwear and accessories, this will fit in a rolling carry-on.  

• Like 1

We do the same.  We each pack for 6-7 days.  

It does not matter if we are travelling for a week or for eight weeks.  And it typically adds up to 8-9kg.  As it does on our current land trip to Portugal.

Edited by iancal

On 5/13/2022 at 10:59 AM, atexsix said:

Did you find it liberating?  Or did you regret it?  Because it is kind of a pain to paw through them looking for things, you're forced to unpack rather than leave some things in the suitcases. 

We're trying to make our upcoming cruise as fuss free as possible by going ultra casual, cruising is complicated enough as it is these days.  So I've purchased two large packs designed for long weekend type trips.  

I'm just curious what other people's experiences have been, because we still have time to change our minds, we're not leaving for a week. 

I go one better. Talked to two people with backpacks only on a 14 day Alaska cruise

On 5/20/2022 at 1:04 PM, slidergirl said:

But, did you have to port the canoe???  

Ugh, there was a time I could carry my 70 lb backpack and do the portage carrying a solo Grumman canoe. The pack was so heavy, because I was a guide in the Adirondacks which meant carrying first aid supplies, extra supplies the kids would likely forget, etc. Oh for the days of my early 20's! 

• Like 1

My husband and I considered using our backpacks only for a cruise in April. These backpacks are like school bags, not backpacking bags. We did eventually wind up taking one of our backpacks and one small carry on. This was more than enough room for our 7 day Bermuda cruise. 

We still didn't wear a bunch of clothes we packed, so next time I guarantee you we will be using just our two school back style backpacks. There's no reason you need more than the following:

2 pairs of shorts

3 or 4 t-shirts

3 or 4 pairs of socks

1 pair of pants

1 hoody/light jacket

3 or 4 pairs of underwear

Sneakers for exploring the ports

Flip flops for the ship and beaches

I need plastic see through eyes, so contacts

My fat people meds and toiletry bag for us both

That's all we need per person and yes it can all fit in a backpack. I took a business trip to Florida last week and only took my school bag style backpack. I was there for four days (including travel).

I packed 3 button downs, 2 pairs of slacks, 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of shorts, sneakers, my dress shoes, 2 pair of undies, 3 pairs of socks, plus my work computer and a toiletry bag. Yep...one backpack is all you need.