Apex Infinity Veranda Cabin Window

sarleo

I am booking a transatlantic next April on the Apex and have questions about my cabin choice. I read that the captain locks the window in the staterooms when he decides it’s best. Mmmm…. Is best just because it’s getting dark or it’s 9 pm or the ship is at sea? I love the sea breeze and hearing the ocean and reading outside. I keep thinking that my room is going to turn into a ocean view room when at sea. I realize that in the middle of the Atlantic it could be rough and that would be a good reason. Thanks for your help! 

Edited by sarleo

2 hours ago, sarleo said:

I am booking a transatlantic next April on the Apex and have questions about my cabin choice. I read that the captain locks the window in the staterooms when he decides it’s best. Mmmm…. Is best just because it’s getting dark or it’s 9 pm or the ship is at sea? I love the sea breeze and hearing the ocean and reading outside. I keep thinking that my room is going to turn into a ocean view room when at sea. I realize that in the middle of the Atlantic it could be rough and that would be a good reason. Thanks for your help! 

On our seven day cruise it only happened once, and that was when the storm came up at sea. 

• Like 1

People that don't like the cabin LOVE to make this issue a bigger deal than it really is. Since the veranda is really just a portion of the interior room it's not waterproof; therefore,when it's raining or if it's window cleaning time they will automatically close the windows and then allow them to be reopened when the weather threat is abated or cleaning completed.

I've slept with the window open many a night and the window stayed open until the morning. Having said that as you have undoubtedly read the HVAC is disabled so it will get warm and muggy. We prefer it on the warmer side so having the window down and AC off wasn't an issue for us.

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

There are the SV which are regular balconies but are usually a premium price compared to an IV.  For the same price as an IV, they have deluxe portholes

APEX Deluxe Porthole View with Verandah - Celebrity Cruises - Cruise Critic  Community

That picture is not a SV (Sunset Veranda) this is a Port Hole view veranda.

Is the sliding door in the porthole view veranda like a standard veranda's, passengers deciding when to open or close it. Or is it like the Infinite Veranda sliding door which the captain can lock? 

Don’t worry. As others have said, they’re typically locked only for window washing, high winds or rain. I had an IV stateroom for 15 nights on the first Edge transatlantic, and I can’t recall my IV being locked for any other reason. They were never locked very long.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Maya_C said:

Is the sliding door in the porthole view veranda like a standard veranda's, passengers deciding when to open or close it. Or is it like the Infinite Veranda sliding door which the captain can lock? 

Porthole rooms are regular balconies, however compared to other ship their balconies are a bit shallow and due to the porthole feel a bit more enclosed. 

We are considering booking our first cruise on Celebrity on the Apex.  For the category in the screen shot, where would the location of the 369 sqft / larger cabins be?  I've tried to decipher the deck plans and can't seem to figure it out.

image.png.198cb8440bfcc84678bf48c782aff2d0.png

The 369 sf IVs are Accessible IVs. On the Celebrity website deck plans, you’ll see little wheelchair icons in the accessible cabins. Most are near the midship elevators. 8245 is one of them.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

The 369 sf IVs are Accessible IVs. On the Celebrity website deck plans, you’ll see little wheelchair icons in the accessible cabins. Most are near the midship elevators. 8245 is one of them.

Makes sense.  We will leave those for others who need the extra room.  Thanks for the quick response!

Edited by azbirdmom

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

Makes sense.  We will leave those for others who need the extra room.  Thanks for the quick response!

You’re very welcome. I hope you have a wonderful time on your cruise!

Edited by Silkroad
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2022 at 11:44 AM, sarleo said:

We have booked the same TA. When we were looking at these cabins, we decided on the Sunset Veranda. We were, initially, interested in the Infinite Veranda and decided to look at some YouTube videos and came to the conclusion that we preferred the Sunset Veranda because it gave us, independent, outside space. The Infinite Verandas, to me, felt like nothing more than an extended stateroom with a French Balcony. The notion that the Captain closes them at his/her discretion was easy to accept. That would be a safety or environmental decision that I would agree with. 

If a standard veranda was not available, I would not hesitate to book an IV. They just would not be my first choice. There seems to be a lot of new buttons to push, which are appealing to people. ☺️

We were in an IV on the Apex TA last fall.  

The captain will only lock the windows in the event of window washing in that area, and you will be notified in advance, or inclement weather.  

I believe on a 14 night cruise ours was locked only once for a brief time.