The Constant Photographer

5waldos

Do we have this to look forward to onboard our Alaska cruise? I had honestly forgotten that this was common on many cruise lines and something that I personally find terribly annoying. I have my nice iPhone camera and the few times I want a picture am not hesitant to ask someone nearby to snap a picture or I just set the camera on automatic.  

52 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Do we have this to look forward to onboard our Alaska cruise? I had honestly forgotten that this was common on many cruise lines and something that I personally find terribly annoying. I have my nice iPhone camera and the few times I want a picture am not hesitant to ask someone nearby to snap a picture or I just set the camera on automatic.  

We were on the Edge last month and quite literally saw a photographer once.  I have no idea where they were.  We saw them by the Edge sign upon embarkation and that was it.  Not once 🙂

5 minutes ago, Dar & Bob said:

We were on the Edge last month and quite literally saw a photographer once.  I have no idea where they were.  We saw them by the Edge sign upon embarkation and that was it.  Not once 🙂

So encouraging- thanks. I know that they go away with a simple no thanks but sometimes they seem to be everywhere and after a while 'no thanks' gets old. 

On the Apex last TA last fall, at embarkation there was a photographer at the APEX sign as you boarded.  Also a couple of photographers were set up every evening, usually on Deck 4 or 5.   However, they never approached us; if you wanted a photo, you stopped, if not there was no issue.  As for ports, I honestly don’t remember; 3 of the 5 ports required a ship excursion to leave the ship so there was somewhat of a “process” to leave.  That said,if I don’t remember them, they weren’t intrusive.

On our recent cruises the photographers aren't roaming like they use to .   They had static setups in a number of places and on the Chic Night the number of stations increased.    I don't remember seeing any on port stops as they are not permitted off the ship.

On our last cruises, I found that as long as we didn't make eye contact, they often didn't even bother us.  And even the ones that do ask were very good about accepting a simple "no, thank you."  There also didn't seem to be quite as many of them as pre-pandemic.  

On our most recent cruise, Equinox in Jan-Feb, we had a good relationship with the very professional photographers aboard. They did multiple shots when we asked, they backed off quickly when we weren’t in the mood, we wound up with many very quality candids and portraits in our Package. Never any pressure, never any harassment, they just want to provide their professional service to those that want it. 

Edited by GottaKnowWhen
  • Like 1

I find it annoying too but it hasn't been much of a problem.  They are there when you board, and may stroll through the restaurants, especially on chic nights.  They quickly accept a polite 'no'.  As others have said, they set up areas around the ship, also more often on chic nights.  But you can just avoid eye contact and walk right on by and they don't bother you.

I had mean photographers in 2016 on Summit when I was trying to take photos of Captain Kate who was posing and greeting folks off to the side near stairs.

Apparently is not allowed for anyone nearby to also use their own camera or the ships photographers will come over and nicely harass you.  I went to guest services and was told no they can't do it.

Same thing happened on another ship in port where I wanted to take the photo of the port name sign as I was getting off and a photographer came and put hand in front of my camera and said NO.

Well, I marched right back into the ship to the guest services again, and they also said no.  So, ship photographers seem to have their own rules and attitude.

I am very good now at giving attitude right back and if I need to, I raise my voice too.

So many photos would be purchased by guests if they did not cost $20 or more.   give me a break.

On our last 2 cruises.both EDGE...the photography offers and quality of work were amazing.,so much included.  Most pics taken at stations....diff backgrounds available for each pose...you pick what you want. No hard sell.   Lots of bonus "freebies".

We did make sure we had our hard copies, downloads and whatever else BEFORE leaving the ship...avoids hassles. We will cherish these photos for many yrs to come!

•  

On our last 2 cruises.both EDGE...the photography offers and quality of work were amazing.,so much included.  Most pics taken at stations....diff backgrounds available for each pose...you pick what you want. No hard sell.   Lots of bonus "freebies".

We did make sure we had our hard copies, downloads and whatever else BEFORE leaving the ship...avoids hassles. We will cherish these photos for many yrs to come!

We rarely buy the photos, but the ones we have do bring back wonderful memories.  Though my favorite ship photo was taken by a fellow passenger who walked up to us and asked if we wanted him to take it.

Was just thinking about this the other day, and hopefully it will never fly again.  On an Alaska cruise I was walking out to the pool deck where a ships photographer had his set up.  Here was a burly (judging by accent) eastern European guy dressed as a lumberjack. He was with a pair of  Asian ladies dressed in fur lined parkas.  He has pointing at them and loudly announcing Eskimos Eskimos. Was embarrassing.