Free Internet for Cruise Critic forums?

EllieinNJ

I was just reading the dailies for the Joy that someone posted and came across this.  Never noticed it before.  Is this fleet wide or just for the Joy?  Has anyone taken advantage of it while on board. 

image.png.9b83324a5cc5240ce132ff0db83e0365.png

• Thanks 2

It’s been around for a while. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. 

I’ve seen it mentioned in the dailies before, but in my experience it isn’t usually specifically announced like that.

Even on a specific cruise it can be random. Someone else on the Jade a few weeks back reported getting on, but it didn’t work for me.

Its good that you have evidence though. Last time it was discussed on here some people refused to believe that it was a real thing that happens.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

I was just reading the dailies for the Joy that someone posted and came across this.  Never noticed it before.  Is this fleet wide or just for the Joy?  Has anyone taken advantage of it while on board. 

image.png.9b83324a5cc5240ce132ff0db83e0365.png

That is good to know. I wonder how many take advantage of it?

54 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

It’s been around for a while. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. 

I’ve seen it mentioned in the dailies before, but in my experience it isn’t usually specifically announced like that.

Even on a specific cruise it can be random. Someone else on the Jade a few weeks back reported getting on, but it didn’t work for me.

Its good that you have evidence though. Last time it was discussed on here some people refused to believe that it was a real thing that happens.

Oh well, hopefully it works more often than not.

I found I could load the pages (very slow) but I could not reply or quote any topic as the dialogue box would not fully open.
I discovered however, if I went online and refreshed the page, I could then go offline and the boxes would open and remain working for as long as I needed it.

• Thanks 1

Yes, it's true.  Using it right now, on the Bliss.  And have used it on multiple ships, pretty sure it's fleet wide.  But it can be temperamental as to your login status.  I do find that sometimes I have to login while using my paid WiFi account, then I can revert to the free WiFi - for awhile anyway.  But I can always get to the site when the WiFi on the ship is working.

You can also access the NCLsite, including your account.

• Thanks 1

@EllieinNJ

Tried it from the iCafe's Acer PC terminals recently (Getaway in March and last week, onboard the Joy) as their Windows PC were plainly configured ... since my Chromebook & iPad were customized with tweak configuration - it worked fine to access and read, graphics did not load (satellite "broadband" too slow with ultra-high latency & timed out at > 2 Mbps speed)  But cannot log into my CC at all, thus, cannot post reply or upload anything, not even click the emoji  🙄 

The only way to post on CC, I've come to recognize & believe, is to be connected to my onboard WiFi account, either as unlimited user or counting down those "free" WiFi minutes. 

So, it works and I've been able to do it (pre-Covid) on the Gem, Dawn, Breakaway & Escape - can't speak for other ships within the fleet.  But, as long as their onboard server(s) & systems didn't block CC's IP address(es) - should work as stated.  As Keith & others noted, sometimes - it just plainly won't connect at all. 

• Thanks 1

I got this screen through the Norwegian app on the Star in the Mediterranean. But nothing happened when I clicked on any of the links. It's the thought that counts, right?

I did use CC during the cruise, but I was probably using mobile data in port or logged into Wifi minutes.

IMG_9698.jpg

• Thanks 1

It is in the list on the main page for free to access sites.

Example from the getaway.

(Through the Icaffe login.com menu)

You don't need to click the link just cruisecritic.com in the browser

.co.uk works as well.

FREE INTERNET SITES
Edited by insidecabin