Anyone done Chef's Table?

We're doing a short weekend cruise and booked Chef's Table.  The pricing isn't cheap (about $190 for 2 of us), but seems a lot less expensive than the Chef's Table over at Celebrity, which I think is close to double that.

I'm looking forward to this, but I've been to a lot of wine dinners that seem to offer a more interesting and higher-end experience.  Obviously it is what it is.

If you tried Chef's Table, what was your experience like?

Edited by Stockjock

We did Chef's Table a few years ago on the Mariner.  We thought that the food was excellent, and the wine was good.  If you are sailing on the Navigator it will be in the mdr in between decks three and four.  The dinner lasted almost three hours and the wine was unlimited, just point to your glass and it will be refilled.  We are reserving Chef's Table on every Royal cruise going forward.  

You are correct about Celebrity, it costs almost twice as much and does not include the paired wines, so we skip the chef's dinner on our Celebrity cruises.

• Like 1

We just did the chefs table on Navigator 3 weeks ago and yes it was a private round table in a separate area between decks in the dining room.  We had a fun table and conversation was flowing, the food and wine was very good. The food is exactly as shown on the video, although you can’t see the food well.  I’ve done the chefs table on Celebrity as well, I think you will enjoy the on on Royal, we sure did.!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Snoopkat said:

How dressy do you have to be for Chef's Table? We're sailing on Quantum in December and I'm considering doing it for my birthday.

I'll be doing it in just over a week, so I'll reply to this thread, maybe with some pics, once it's done.

On 5/18/2022 at 4:28 PM, Stockjock said:

We're doing a short weekend cruise and booked Chef's Table.  The pricing isn't cheap (about $190 for 2 of us), but seems a lot less expensive than the Chef's Table over at Celebrity, which I think is close to double that.

I'm looking forward to this, but I've been to a lot of wine dinners that seem to offer a more interesting and higher-end experience.  Obviously it is what it is.

If you tried Chef's Table, what was your experience like?

I've had mixed experiences. A few years ago I did it on the Allure, and it was a pretty nice experience. Good interactions with the chef, good mix of food, etc.

I did it again this past February on the Navigator, and it was okay. The chef was good, the menu was uninspired though. Lots of mediocre seafood, imo, and nothing -amazing- as you should have in a chef's tasting menu. The dessert was neat though.

Then I did it again earlier this month on Vision. It was the -exact- same menu as a few months ago on the Navigator, without a single change other than some very minor preparation differences due to different chefs. The chef interactions were really great on Vision, but the menu remained the same.

Unfortunately, I don't think these chef tables are really worth it. A true chef's table tasting menu should be unique, and at the whimsy of the chef, changing to depend on their mood and ingredients that day. They should not be the same thing, fleet wide, with minimal changes. That's just another meal, not a chef's table experience, imo.

11 minutes ago, Fabulous97 said:

We are doing it on the Anthem next week, we have never done a Chefs table on RCI previously.

Can you ask for any menu replacements? I eat fish and seafood but not any meat.

Yes you can.  I'm allergic to fish. Dh doesn’t eat shellfish or meat.  Let them know a day or so in advance.  We like it on Anthem or Radiance class ships as it's in a private dining room.

9 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

How dressy do you have to be for Chef's Table? We're sailing on Quantum in December and I'm considering doing it for my birthday.

Smart casual. I wouldn't wear a tee shirt Most men wore slacks and sport shirt and women wear dresses or pants. I've been to 3 Chef's Tables and they were all fantastic.

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Smart casual. I wouldn't wear a tee shirt Most men wore slacks and sport shirt and women wear dresses or pants. I've been to 3 Chef's Tables and they were all fantastic.

Sometimes we've done it on formal night so even the men get a little dressed up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Yes you can.  I'm allergic to fish. Dh doesn’t eat shellfish or meat.  Let them know a day or so in advance.  We like it on Anthem or Radiance class ships as it's in a private dining room.

Our Chef's Table is on the first night.  Who would I discuss this with?

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

Our Chef's Table is on the first night.  Who would I discuss this with?

When you board go immediately to Chops and explain your needs and they will connect you with someone from Chef's Table who will help.  Enjoy.

16 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

When you board go immediately to Chops and explain your needs and they will connect you with someone from Chef's Table who will help.  Enjoy.

Okay, although I don't think Chef's Table is at Chops.  

3 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

The host stations at all the specialty restaurants are all connected.  Does not matter which one you go to.  Can book through any of them, including the concierge, and the app as well.  

Just recently did Chef's Table on EX last month.  Not impressed at all.  Same old menu, lackluster food, and the host was very obviously bored, just "going through the motions".  Won't do it again.

Though our table mates were very good.  

11 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

As indicated, any specialty host station will help. No, Chef's table isn't there but the person on the host station will connect you with the right person. 

• Like 1

We were on the EOS in March and did the Chief's Table.  It was wonderful and worth every penny.  We had a great meal, great wine and a nice group of people.  The Chief doing to event was very personable and made the event enjoyable.

Bill

16 hours ago, Snoopkat said:

You have to read the T&C , any one who makes it a Birthday celebration is required to attend in their Birthday Suit. 

• Haha 2