NCL not supplying distilled water or extension cords for CPAP use

5 hours ago, phillygwm said:

They did warn that the extension cords were in limited supply so best to bring my own, which I already have from my last cruise.

I hope security personnel doing the screening on the pier don’t hassle people over this. I bring a plain, non-surge protected extension cord because the block charger for my camera battery doesn’t always fit into the recessed outlet on some ships. Usually this hasn’t been a problem, but I was hassled about it once when boarding Anthem of the Seas in Bayonne. I had to get a supervisor involved. 

On 5/19/2022 at 7:34 PM, GeezerCouple said:

At our grocery stores (close-in suburb, major metro area), it's almost impossible to get a gallon of regular spring water.  2.5 gallons? Fine.  Little bottles, fine.

Odd.  For the first time in the 18 months I've been using a CPAP, I did a grocery order (for pick-up) and they subbed a gallon of spring water for distilled.  Totally my fault, I didn't read clearly and approved it.  

On 5/19/2022 at 10:12 PM, Traveller20074 said:

the policy changed since I asked months ago for the distilled water

No it hasn't.  I just got a confirmation on my "Special Needs" request yesterday.  Might they run out?  Sure.  But assuming no supply chain issues, they'll supply the water (BYO cord.)  Sorry to hear about leaving your cushion at home.  I was in Montreal a couple weeks ago and left my "elbow" so couldn't use my device either.  Haven't slept that well in a long time 🙂

49 minutes ago, phillygwm said:

Odd.  For the first time in the 18 months I've been using a CPAP, I did a grocery order (for pick-up) and they subbed a gallon of spring water for distilled.  Totally my fault, I didn't read clearly and approved it.  

No it hasn't.  I just got a confirmation on my "Special Needs" request yesterday.  Might they run out?  Sure.  But assuming no supply chain issues, they'll supply the water (BYO cord.)  Sorry to hear about leaving your cushion at home.  I was in Montreal a couple weeks ago and left my "elbow" so couldn't use my device either.  Haven't slept that well in a long time 🙂

I'm still awake.  at 3 am😪   i was googling and forgetting parts to the CPAP is common   7 days without mine. ugh

On 5/21/2022 at 6:47 AM, Traveller20074 said:

I'm still awake.  at 3 am😪   i was googling and forgetting parts to the CPAP is common   7 days without mine. ugh

What I did, if you are able to read this, is make it so you sleep on your side.  It helped me, when I couldn't have access to a cpap while traveling, and may help you. Use some pillows behind you on the bed so you are staying away from being stuck on your back.

Depending on what helps with your particular case is also some breath right strips and trying as best you can to stay on your side.

On 5/21/2022 at 4:33 AM, Turtles06 said:

I hope security personnel doing the screening on the pier don’t hassle people over this. I bring a plain, non-surge protected extension cord because the block charger for my camera battery doesn’t always fit into the recessed outlet on some ships. Usually this hasn’t been a problem, but I was hassled about it once when boarding Anthem of the Seas in Bayonne. I had to get a supervisor involved. 

You should have had your cord confiscated in Bayonne because extension cords are not allowed on Royal ships. They are prohibited items (like guns and explosives) on Royal. 

NCL, however has no restrictions on extension cords. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BirdTravels said:
On 5/21/2022 at 3:33 AM, Turtles06 said:

You should have had your cord confiscated in Bayonne because extension cords are not allowed on Royal ships. They are prohibited items (like guns and explosives) on Royal. 

Hmmm- you are right - they are prohibited...I just checked the RCL prohibited  items list:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

I have been on 2 RCL cruises and never a word said about my extension cords - guess I was just lucky.

Also best to leave my little Swiss Army knife home too - handy little thing to have with lots of little tools.

Glad NCL has no such restriction.

On 5/21/2022 at 5:47 AM, Traveller20074 said:

Been there - sort of done the same thing. Some 30 years ago I was taking a flight and packed my CPAP in my checked luggage (had business stuff in carry-on). Plane diverted for an unscheduled overnight to another airport and they would not retrieve any checked luggage. 

Worst night of non-sleep in many moons. Since then - CPAP stays in my carry-on. I do put a spare mask in my checked bag though - you know - just in case. A break in the hose can be patched with the ubiquitous duct tape so no spare there.

You have my sympathies.

NCL is still offering water and addresses the cord issue.  This was in our email today from the Access Desk:

Re: Norwegian Bliss Voyage of 6/18/2022

Dear Mr.

Thank you, your completed special needs form has been received. The information provided has been noted. Please review the below information.

C-pap Machine / Distilled Water:
Be advised that we can provide distilled water on board. There is no additional charge for the water.

The ship has been advised to provide you with distilled water for the machine for the duration of the cruise. Please contact the Access Officer on board if there are any problems or if you require additional water. The Access Officer can be reached through the Front Desk.

We also recommend that guests bring an extension cord at least 6ft. long, as the outlets are not close to the bed. The extension cord may be confiscated from luggage to be examined for safety and if deemed safe, returned to the guest. The ship only has a very small supply (available first-come, first-serve) and can be requested at the Guest Services Desk.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/21/2022 at 1:33 AM, Turtles06 said:

How about one of these adapters?

image.png.bb62362639630555944c9b0d3d035c82.png

Especially since most North American camera chargers are two prong anyway and don't use the ground pin.  And a lot lighter and smaller than an extension cord.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mpk said:

How about one of these adapters?

image.png.bb62362639630555944c9b0d3d035c82.png

Heck no!

21 minutes ago, mpk said:

Especially since most North American camera chargers are two prong anyway and don't use the ground pin.  And a lot lighter and smaller than an extension cord.

I'm not sure what this has to do with it, the 2-prong camera chargers can plug into the 3-prong outlets without a problem.  It's going the OTHER way that's the issue (hence the 2 prongs on the outlet side and 3 holes on the device side).  The ship has US 3-prong outlets anyway so that hazard of an adapter is not needed.

5 hours ago, hallux said:

Heck no!

I'm not sure what this has to do with it, the 2-prong camera chargers can plug into the 3-prong outlets without a problem.  It's going the OTHER way that's the issue (hence the 2 prongs on the outlet side and 3 holes on the device side).  The ship has US 3-prong outlets anyway so that hazard of an adapter is not needed.

I probably should have explained better.   The adapter solves Turtles06's problem of two prong camera chargers not seating into the recessed outlets often seen on cruise ships.  The comment about two/three prong is that this usage of the adapter provides two prong only, since cruise users won't be able to screw the ground lug connector onto the outlet ground.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2022 at 3:24 PM, RGEDad said:

Hmmm- you are right - they are prohibited...I just checked the RCL prohibited  items list:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

I have been on 2 RCL cruises and never a word said about my extension cords - guess I was just lucky.

Also best to leave my little Swiss Army knife home too - handy little thing to have with lots of little tools.

Glad NCL has no such restriction.

no pocket knives on NCL

On 5/22/2022 at 3:55 PM, Lucky33 said:

What I did, if you are able to read this, is make it so you sleep on your side.  It helped me, when I couldn't have access to a cpap while traveling, and may help you. Use some pillows behind you on the bed so you are staying away from being stuck on your back.

Depending on what helps with your particular case is also some breath right strips and trying as best you can to stay on your side.

Good news.  I called CVS and got a mask set up...drove up the road from the hotel the next morning, and then checked out and went to board.   the best part is that it was a new type of mask, and this works much better than my old one!   a blessing in disguise 🙂 

• Like 5