NCL not supplying distilled water or extension cords for CPAP use

• Traveller20074 changed the title to NCL not supplying distilled water or extension cords for CPAP use

On our last cruise in April, I submitted my CPAP form and they told us there would be a charge for the distilled water, but they didn't actually end up charging for it. They also said they could not provide extension cords so I brought my own. 

• Like 2

ive neverhad any problem getting an extension cord from my cabin steward for the entire duration of the cruise. on our recent cruise (april 8 thru 17th) my wife has leg cramps and they can only be alleviated by drinking gator ade. i contacted ncl and they allowed me to bring 6 bottles on board. if ncl cant supply distilled water, try and make arrangements to bring y our own on board

Another option for getting distilled water is to ask your cabin steward if they are friendly with the engineers.  While the ship is underway, they can fill a gallon jug straight from the evaporator.  Might cost a couple of bucks in tips.

I believe the problem is that there is a nation-wide shortage of distilled water, if you can believe that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I spoke to the Special Needs department last week about something else* and they confirmed distilled water would be provided for my husband's CPAP and that we should probably bring our own extension cord.  However, he will be carrying a small supply of water just in case (you can get it in 12, 16, or 20oz bottles marked "for medical use" on Amazon, etc. so it's easy to put in a checked bag for airtravel)

*I wouldn't have needed to call them but my e-docs said I needed wheelchair assistance.  I do not. They (and I) were confused about how that happened.  On the other hand, if you're on the BA next week and DO need a chair, we've got one freed up for you! 🙂

• Thanks 1

Ship's discretion and/or supply chain issues - retired chief "cheng" got insider's tip/a brilliant idea too 👴 - pack a collapsible gallon water jug (sporting goods/outdoor camping store or Amazon route)

If our other BIL is cruising too, he would be very upset about this - OP, which ship is this happening to you.  And thank you for the heads-up for the "CC community"

We are sailing on the Bliss (assuming our covid tests later today are negative) this Saturday.

I just got off the phone with the NCL Accessibility Department (1-866-584-9756). 

I was told they are no longer supplying extension cords because theirs kept disappearing.  We can bring on our own extension cord for the CPAP and cord can be either with or without surge protection.  I thought there was a rule that one or the other was not allowed but gentleman I spoke to said that is no longer the case.

He said there will be no problem in getting distilled water once on the ship.  Said to just show the cabin steward the CPAP machine and distilled water would be provided.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kjquilts said:

We can bring on our own extension cord for the CPAP and cord can be either with or without surge protection.

Do not bring a surge protected device.  It is a safety hazard, and the person you talked to has no idea what they are saying.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Another option for getting distilled water is to ask your cabin steward if they are friendly with the engineers.

Yeah. NCL should put it in their FAQ. "If you need distilled water for medical needs, all you need to do is simply ask your steward to bribe an engineer. It's that simple! It once again shows how much we at NCL are committed to providing you a care-free vacation!". 😃

5 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

I just called and they said that even though they had told me they would supply distilled water, they no longer can do that.

against their policy

I believe a CPAP machine can easily survive a cruise using tap water, but it's not outrageous to expect a cruiseship to supply you with distilled water if you ask for it, maybe at a small charge. Unless their "policy" is to get 8 million US CPAP owners to think twice about sailing with NCL again.

Edited by AmazedByCruising
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, AmazedByCruising said:

Yeah. NCL should put it in their FAQ. "If you need distilled water for medical needs, all you need to do is simply ask your steward to bribe an engineer. It's that simple! It once again shows how much we at NCL are committed to providing you a care-free vacation!". 😃

I believe a CPAP machine can easily survive a cruise using tap water, but it's not outrageous to expect a cruiseship to supply you with distilled water if you ask for it, maybe at a small charge. Unless their "policy" is to get 8 million US CPAP owners to think twice about sailing with NCL again.

My guys were asked to do this all the time, though it was before NCL started providing bottled distilled water.  And, as I say, there is a shortage of distilled water in the US, so the price and availability may be the problem.  Google "distilled water shortage" to see how there has been sporadic shortages since 2017.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

My guys were asked to do this all the time, though it was before NCL started providing bottled distilled water.  And, as I say, there is a shortage of distilled water in the US, so the price and availability may be the problem.  Google "distilled water shortage" to see how there has been sporadic shortages since 2017.

This is almost funny.

At our grocery stores (close-in suburb, major metro area), it's almost impossible to get a gallon of regular spring water.  2.5 gallons? Fine.  Little bottles, fine.

But there are ALWAYS gallons of distilled water just sitting there.

This has been going on for quite a few months.  *One* local grocer sometimes has the gallon bottles of spring water.  The others?  Haven't seen them since last year sometime.  Distilled?  Sure!

Strange.

GC

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I've never asked for Indonesian food in MDR (which I know I can ask for and even get it) but that would be a hassle for an already overworked waiter. If I needed distilled water it shouldn't be a hassle, neither for me or the steward. I'd want a smooth procedure like "check this box for distilled water" during check-in, and not try to get my steward to try to fix things the company can easily fix (and knows that it needs to be fixed 10?, 50?, at least many times each and every cruise)

I honestly thought you were joking about a nation wide shortage of distilled water but Google tells me otherwise. HAL sells the beds they use, maybe they can sell "authentic distilled water from real sea water".

(More serious:  I know a company that literally buys sea water to grow sea weeds on land in a controlled environment. The by-product (salt with all micro nutrients) could actually be very valuable)

You can always just go without the water for the duration of the cruise.  I haven't used water in my CPAP for over seven years.  However, I do live in a humid part of the country so I don't get the dryness in the throat and sinuses that someone in an arid part of the world might.

9 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

That doesn’t sound right at all. Who did you call?  Was it a Special Needs department?  And what were you told about an extension cord, mentioned in the title of your thread? 

NCL direct line.  I mentioned the extension cord today.

27 minutes ago, The Shrike said:

You can always just go without the water for the duration of the cruise.  I haven't used water in my CPAP for over seven years.  However, I do live in a humid part of the country so I don't get the dryness in the throat and sinuses that someone in an arid part of the world might.

I have very dry sinuses and need humification .  I'm glad you don't

5 hours ago, kjquilts said:

We are sailing on the Bliss (assuming our covid tests later today are negative) this Saturday.

I just got off the phone with the NCL Accessibility Department (1-866-584-9756). 

I was told they are no longer supplying extension cords because theirs kept disappearing.  We can bring on our own extension cord for the CPAP and cord can be either with or without surge protection.  I thought there was a rule that one or the other was not allowed but gentleman I spoke to said that is no longer the case.

He said there will be no problem in getting distilled water once on the ship.  Said to just show the cabin steward the CPAP machine and distilled water would be provided.

I'll try that, but it probably wont be since they told me they don't do that

8 hours ago, JennKach said:

On our last cruise in April, I submitted my CPAP form and they told us there would be a charge for the distilled water, but they didn't actually end up charging for it. They also said they could not provide extension cords so I brought my own. 

their policy has changed

7 hours ago, complawyer said:

ive neverhad any problem getting an extension cord from my cabin steward for the entire duration of the cruise. on our recent cruise (april 8 thru 17th) my wife has leg cramps and they can only be alleviated by drinking gator ade. i contacted ncl and they allowed me to bring 6 bottles on board. if ncl cant supply distilled water, try and make arrangements to bring y our own on board

I can't find it in my local stores and Amazon charges an arm and a leg.    I am not going to lug a gallon jug to the cruise lolol

9 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

You were incorrectly informed. Stop hanging on incorrect information. 

by an NCL representative on the phone?    I wish people knew what they were talking about I'm about ready to blow a cork.    an NCL rep on the phone at NCL doesn't know the policy?  what is friggin wrong with people

• Like 1