NCL not supplying distilled water or extension cords for CPAP use

6 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Ship's discretion and/or supply chain issues - retired chief "cheng" got insider's tip/a brilliant idea too 👴 - pack a collapsible gallon water jug (sporting goods/outdoor camping store or Amazon route)

If our other BIL is cruising too, he would be very upset about this - OP, which ship is this happening to you.  And thank you for the heads-up for the "CC community"

the Bliss

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, cruisekitty22 said:

So can we get distilled water and an extension cord for our cruise on the Encore or not. Serious question.

Check with Special Needs, not the phone reps who can usually manage to read the cabin availability per cruise date...

If you have a PCC, have them check with Special Needs, but I'd rather have that email to and from them myself.

GC

• Like 1

I submitted a Special Needs form for my Getaway cruise that finished a couple of days ago and the distilled water was waiting for me in the cabin.  I have received confirmation of the same for my next two cruises as well.  I was told that extension cords are in limited supply so I simply packed my own.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

so if I call NCL and can't even trust what THEY are saying......we're screwed

You are talking to the wrong people as you need to submit a special needs request, the direct line are like robots reading from scripts, and not doing that very well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On a recent cruise, I had no issues with having the distilled water waiting for me.  While I brought my own extension cord, there was one already waiting for me.

Someone had mentioned the need to tape it down, how the only outlet would be on the opposite wall from bed, but there was an outlet right on the same side of bed for extension cord that kept it out of the way.

Due to sanitary reasons, I would only want to have my water from a previously unopened jug that had been through the proper process.

With most cpap machines you have the option to turn off the humidifier.  

The key to keeping safe while using one is by following the cleaning instructions, replacing the filter monthly along with mask, and that will help protect as well.

• Like 1

I submitted an access desk form for distilled water for my cpap on 12/10/21 for our 9/6/22 NCL Joy Canada/New England cruise.    This is the response I received four days later. 

"Thank you for contacting the Access Desk.  The information provided has been noted.  Be advised that we can provide distilled water on board.  There is no additional charge for the water.  The ship has been advised to provide you with distilled water for the machine for the duration of the cruise.  Please contact the Access Officer on board if there are any problems or you require additional water.  The Access Officer can be reached through the Front Desk.

We also recommend that the guest bring an extension cord at least 6ft. long, as the outlet are not close enough to the bed.  The extension cord may be confiscated from luggage to be examined for safety and if deemed safe, returned to the guest.  The ship only has a very small supply (available first come, first serve) and can be requested at the Guest Services Desk."

As a side note, I have purchased a new 10 ft. extension cord and am keeping it in the packaging sleeve and also purchase a "just water" package and feel fine if I had to use it in my cpap if necessary instead of tap water.  These days, it's always good to have a back-up plan.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, complawyer said:

ive neverhad any problem getting an extension cord from my cabin steward for the entire duration of the cruise. on our recent cruise (april 8 thru 17th) my wife has leg cramps and they can only be alleviated by drinking gator ade. i contacted ncl and they allowed me to bring 6 bottles on board. if ncl cant supply distilled water, try and make arrangements to bring y our own on board

You may not be aware of this (or you are and it doesn't work for your wife) but Gatorade comes in powder form.  A lot easier to transport in luggage and doesn't require special approval.

Search on Amazon for Gatorade Powder   You can search for the regular, zero or G2 varieties.  It's available in grocery stores as well.  (I bring Crystal Light packets with me to flavor my water.  Don't care for plain water if I can get something else.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

so if I call NCL and can't even trust what THEY are saying......we're screwed

If you are calling the main number then they are Sales people who work in the Sales department.  They are not a good source of information unfortunately.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

If you are calling the main number then they are Sales people who work in the Sales department.  They are not a good source of information unfortunately.  

deleted 

Edited by Traveller20074
stupid question lol

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

For those of you who require humidification with your CPAP therapy, have you ruled out a travel-size CPAP machine with waterless humidification (via a Heat Moisture Exchange)?  

that sounds like a good idea, unfortunately, I'm on an ASV ventilator type machine ....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, cruisekitty22 said:

So can we get distilled water and an extension cord for our cruise on the Encore or not. Serious question.

I think what Ill do today is call and ask for a number to talk to them about special requests for medical stuff

56 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

I think what Ill do today is call and ask for a number to talk to them about special requests for medical stuff

Googling NCL special needs contact gives:  1.866.584.9756

• Thanks 2

On 5/19/2022 at 12:25 PM, Traveller20074 said:

I just called and they said that even though they had told me they would supply distilled water, they no longer can do that.

against their policy

I last cruised in December.  I was advised to pack my own, non-surge protected, extension cord in case there weren't enough on board.  That wasn't a problem.  They supplied the distilled water at no charge.  You need to complete a Special Needs request.  When I got to my room the water wasn't there, but my room steward handled it immediately when I asked.  Easy peasy.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2022 at 11:16 AM, complawyer said:

ive neverhad any problem getting an extension cord from my cabin steward for the entire duration of the cruise. on our recent cruise (april 8 thru 17th) my wife has leg cramps and they can only be alleviated by drinking gator ade. i contacted ncl and they allowed me to bring 6 bottles on board. if ncl cant supply distilled water, try and make arrangements to bring y our own on board

I ordered 1 liter bottles of distilled water on Amazon for travel. Must pack in checked-in luggage though. 

1 minute ago, debinsd27 said:

I ordered 1 liter bottles of distilled water on Amazon for travel. Must pack in checked-in luggage though. 

Are you plannning to carry these on board?

If so, did you get special permission?  Last I understood, liquids couldn't be brought on anymore, No Diet Coke 😞 !

GC

33 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

Are you plannning to carry these on board?

If so, did you get special permission?  Last I understood, liquids couldn't be brought on anymore, No Diet Coke 😞 !

GC

If you declare them as medical supplies, they are allowable.

7 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

6 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Googling NCL special needs contact gives:  1.866.584.9756

Didn't even need to call or Google search it - it's right on NCL's Accessible Cruising page (linked at the bottom of the website).  Yes, you need to scroll down, but it's there...

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, hallux said:

Didn't even need to call or Google search it - it's right on NCL's Accessible Cruising page (linked at the bottom of the website).  Yes, you need to scroll down, but it's there...

https://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising

After reading this thread, it occurred to me to make my distilled water request.  They promptly replied confirming the request.  They did warn that the extension cords were in limited supply so best to bring my own, which I already have from my last cruise.

• Like 1