Family Cruise Booked - Now One Couple Can't Go

IMNOFUN

ANY IDEAS PLEASE ON THIS SITUATION:

I booked and paid for five cabins - 10 people. One couple has to drop out because of a job situation. Makes no matter what it is, but they just can't go.

I suggested to the travel agent that we'd keep all five cabins, but add a couple of people to replace the missing couple. The answer was only one person can be swapped out per cabin. I have paid for this cabin to have two people in it. If I had booked a hotel, I'd expect to be able to shuffle the group around and use the cabin for whoever, including adding a couple of people to fill up the beds as needed.

If I cancel the cabin, I can hope that travel insurance will pick up some of the cost, but we're at the 75% point. The agent says that best case scenario is the couple dropping out would get a future cruise credit. I have no confidence that the pair could or would ever be able to use the FCC. Since I paid for the cabin (all expenses on it), shouldn't I get the FCC as the payer, not the people who are causing the mess in the first place?

Then there's BOGO air fare. The agent says the airport can't be changed at this point (from Knoxville to Denver). Tickets have not been issued and the trip isn't until the end of July. So, two people who aren't even going on the cruise will get BOBO air tickets they won't even use and I will not be refunded the money I paid already.

Long, sad story. My question is not how every little bit of the wrongness can be handled, but to ask for ANY ideas on how to handle any part of the mess. 

Thanks for any help you have to offer.

• Like 1

I believe the first person on the reservation can’t be changed, FCC’s are in the name of the passengers who can’t go. If a work situation is a covered reason, insurance should reimburse them and then they can reimburse you. 

• Like 1

Which ship/sail date?  Some of the BOGO promos are 60 days, so airfare might be refundable (many TA's don't seem to know that the dates are variable) - or at least changeable.

FCC's from all the covid cancellations are transferrable, I don't know if that extends to all FCC at this point, so it's possible that if there is any FCC given, it could be transferred to you.

I did have to contact guest services to change a gateway (day89, just after the promo expired) - the air department wouldn't budge but I got a courtesy adjustment.

Edited by julig22

i  think the proper thing to do is for the people who are dropping out pay you back in full for the money  you have already spent.  it may sound harsh, but they're the ones who put you in this position. im surprised they havent offered this already  in the alternative, if the final payment date has not yet passed, call ncl directly and try to cancel, or adk them if y ou can put 2 other people in the cabin 

• Like 1

Can you change one passenger in the cabin and then add a third?  Then Passenger One would be a no-show at the port, and you’d maybe get back some port fees and such for that person at embarkation.  Right now, with extra guests being a minimal charge, it might all balance out doing it that way.  At the very least, you’d get two people into the cabin for not much extra, which the original couple could reimburse you for.

22 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I believe the first person on the reservation can’t be changed, FCC’s are in the name of the passengers who can’t go. If a work situation is a covered reason, insurance should reimburse them and then they can reimburse you. 

I don't believe you are correct.  My son and his girlfriend booked a cabin on the same cruise as my wife and I, then she broke up with him.  She was the first person on the reservation and we were able to switch her out without a problem or charge.  

I would try calling NCL and see if they can help.

Flip

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for everybody's remarks and ideas. For some reason, I didn't get notified of the replies. My apologies for not responding earlier.

The couple (my son and DIL) will get a Future Cruise Credit which they can transfer to me. That's fine. I'd even have them keep the credit if I thought they'd use it. I'd never ask them to pay me back for the money I am going to lose. It was a gift. I don't ask for refunds. 

I think it worked out as best it could. They'll transfer the FCC to me. I'm not going to berate my kid for getting a promotion. What kind of mom would do that?

Now the next challenge is getting everybody set up for that stupid PCR test. That test company is certainly getting a sweet deal. I can get the test kit free, yet Inspired Diagnostics collects for what would also be a free test. Maybe by cruise time, this will all change.

Again, thank you all. Every response is valuable.

On 6/7/2022 at 1:36 PM, IMNOFUN said:

Now the next challenge is getting everybody set up for that stupid PCR test. That test company is certainly getting a sweet deal. I can get the test kit free, yet Inspired Diagnostics collects for what would also be a free test. Maybe by cruise time, this will all change.

You probably can get part or all of the cost of the test reimbursed through your health insurance.  My health insurance is reimbursing me $12 per test.

Flip

On 6/7/2022 at 10:36 AM, IMNOFUN said:

No need for a PCR test - rapid is fine.  And free at Walgreens.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:54 AM, julig22 said:

No need for a PCR test - rapid is fine.  And free at Walgreens.

Thanks. I was just talking to my brother about this as we struggle through ArriveCan. 

17 minutes ago, Yodalicious said:

I thought the tests needed to be proctored?

Yes, but it can be a fast test (I think) with a pharmacist administering the nose jab. There may also be more drive-through test sites (haven't checked in awhile). We got drive-through COVID shots, so why not tests? I'm still pondering the ArriveCAN timing. It doesn't work with the itinerary. We'd have to enter data twice one day apart.

18 minutes ago, Yodalicious said:

I thought the tests needed to be proctored?

Yes, the "at home" rapid tests have to be proctored. They send your test results after completion.
You can also get tested at places like Walgreens or CVS and they will give you documentation.