Has anyone up-to-date actually taken their Covid test 3 days prior to boarding?

kokopelli-az

Since Princess changed the testing requirement from 2 days to 3 days prior to boarding for up-to-date passengers (received all recommended Covid-19 vaccinations, including booster doses), has anyone up-to-date actually taken their Covid test 3 days prior to boarding?    

We have a Saturday sailing in June out of Ft Lauderdale and I'd love to take the Covid test on the previous Wednesday instead of Thursday but I've read that some up-do-date people are still getting their test 2 days ahead of time so there won't be any mix-up when they get to the pier.   

Curious as to how boarding went for those who actually took their Covid test 3 days beforehand.  

22 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Since Princess changed the testing requirement from 2 days to 3 days prior to boarding for up-to-date passengers (received all recommended Covid-19 vaccinations, including booster doses), has anyone up-to-date actually taken their Covid test 3 days prior to boarding?    

We have a Saturday sailing in June out of Ft Lauderdale and I'd love to take the Covid test on the previous Wednesday instead of Thursday but I've read that some up-do-date people are still getting their test 2 days ahead of time so there won't be any mix-up when they get to the pier.   

Curious as to how boarding went for those who actually took their Covid test 3 days beforehand.  

Princess website has different times based on test type.  For cruises leaving from US, up to 2 days for antigen test, up to 3 days for PCR.  Just check the website again.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Princess website has different times based on test type.  For cruises leaving from US, up to 2 days for antigen test, up to 3 days for PCR.  Just check the website again.  

If you're up to date the North American requirements are 3 days for both - provided you're not going to Canada.

image.png.9b73c2b9388b0f8598145a7e828a55d6.png

• Like 1

OK this sounds good.    Our cruise leaves June 11 and we want to take the tests June 8 (it will be the rapid antigen test and we are classified as up-to-date on our Covid vaccinations/boosters).    On the Caribbean Princess; no Canada visit.   

Edited by kokopelli-az

We've done 3 days before testing, both on Princess and Carnival.  

Just got off the Miracle on May 16, the person checking me in seemed confused that we were tested 3 days before, but really didn't question it.  Sure not like when we restarted cruising and they'd go over all documents so very carefully.  

We are going north in less than a week, called carnival today to reconfirm we could test 3 days before for Canadian entry.  They verified 3 days if vaxxed and boosted with a PCR test.  I'm going to bring a proctored test just to be safe. 

We’re on the Caribbean Princess right now which departed from Ft Lauderdale on Saturday. We took our antigen test on Wednesday and had no problem at check in. We are fully vaccinated and boosted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

If you're up to date the North American requirements are 3 days for both - provided you're not going to Canada.

image.png.9b73c2b9388b0f8598145a7e828a55d6.png

You mean embarking from Canada right? If it's leaving and returning seattle, it's still 3 days.

42 minutes ago, newbie1900 said:

You mean embarking from Canada right? If it's leaving and returning seattle, it's still 3 days.

I've read reports that they are enforcing the 72 hour requirement instead of 3 days for PCR for cruises stopping in Victoria when embarking in Seattle.  This is the language currently on the Princess website re: Canada:

image.png.f8e81cca82b5226ae4e719dae97c919d.png

44 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

I've read reports that they are enforcing the 72 hour requirement instead of 3 days for PCR for cruises stopping in Victoria when embarking in Seattle.  This is the language currently on the Princess website re: Canada:

image.png.f8e81cca82b5226ae4e719dae97c919d.png

This is what I'm so worried about. I called princess and they assured 3 days for my specific  cruise. But you know how dependable that is!

The language there distinguishes embarking than for just stopping by.  But I the heard the same rumor. 

Edited by newbie1900
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, newbie1900 said:

This is what I'm so worried about. I called princess and they assured 3 days for my specific  cruise. But you know how dependable that is!

Oh I agree 100%!  I will continue to follow this until our cruise on the Discovery in July but unless there is something definitive we will probably do the rapid antigen test two days prior to cruising just in case.

1 hour ago, newbie1900 said:

3 days if you are vaccinated and departing in Seattle.

Effective April 1, 2022, pre-entry COVID-19 tests are no longer required for Fully Vaccinated travelers entering Canada by air, land (rail), or water (marine vessel).  This means when a cruise ship enters one of Canada's ports, no COVID testing is required for fully vaccinated travelers (very limited exemptions).  In this case entering Victoria, BC.

For pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing, since this cruise embarks/originates in the US (Seattle), you must use US CDC and cruise line requirements for negative COVID-19 testing prior to boarding. 

(Canada's pre-embarkation testing requirements have no bearing here as you are embarking/originating your cruise in the US not Canada).

our testing requirements for cruises that embarks/originates in the US are in the Princess FAQs, 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikkster said:

3 days if you are vaccinated and departing in Seattle.

Effective April 1, 2022, pre-entry COVID-19 tests are no longer required for Fully Vaccinated travelers entering Canada by air, land (rail), or water (marine vessel).  This means when a cruise ship enters one of Canada's ports, no COVID testing is required for fully vaccinated travelers (very limited exemptions).  In this case entering Victoria, BC.

For pre-embarkation COVID-19 testing, since this cruise embarks/originates in the US (Seattle), you must use US CDC and cruise line requirements for negative COVID-19 testing prior to boarding. 

(Canada's pre-embarkation testing requirements have no bearing here as you are embarking/originating your cruise in the US not Canada).

our testing requirements for cruises that embarks/originates in the US are in the Princess FAQs, 

Yes, I’ve read the same info and I want to trust it. But there have been reports of people being denied. 

I think if it was really an issue we would have heard a lot more cases of this happening. But it makes me worry. I can’t reschedule my test to one that falls within the 72 hours. I may just do the online proctor test to ease my mind.

FYI we boarded Majestic in Whittier (sailing to Vancouver) on Sat May 14 at 1pm with Rapid NAAT tests (PCR test) taken at 9am ET on Wed May 11.  We met the 3 day rule but not 72 hours.  I took a printed copy of the guidelines for embarking in the US and figured worst case they would retest us at the port. 

Edited by Buckeye10640
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, newbie1900 said:

Yes, I’ve read the same info and I want to trust it. But there have been reports of people being denied. 

I think if it was really an issue we would have heard a lot more cases of this happening. But it makes me worry. I can’t reschedule my test to one that falls within the 72 hours. I may just do the online proctor test to ease my mind.

I’ve asked several times with the princess reps and they all said 3 days for rapid and pcr if you’re up to date. I specifically said we are leaving from Seattle but stopping in Victoria and they all said it all depends on where you leave originally.  In this case, Seattle. I’m doing my rapid test tomorrow (wed) for sat sailing from seattle.

when you said you heard from people being denied, do you have specifics? Like what was their sailing itinerary and was it for rapid and they were up to date (not just vax) and through princess only?  Other cruise lines have different requirements too

Edited by wolvey

2 minutes ago, wolvey said:

I’ve asked several times with the princess reps and they all said 3 days for rapid and pcr if you’re up to date. I specifically said we are leaving from Seattle but stopping in Victoria and they all said it all depends on where you leave originally.  In this case, Seattle. I’m doing my rapid test tomorrow (wed) for sat sailing from seattle.

when you said you heard from people being denied, do you have specifics? Like what was their sailing itinerary and was it for rapid and they were up to date (not just vax) and through princess only?  Other cruise lines have different requirements too

If I remember correctly there were a few reports on a YouTube cruise channel. The ship was from San Francisco (I think) going up to Canada. Like I say, if it was a widespread issue I think there would be more news about it happening. But even the rumor of it makes me concerned.

4 minutes ago, wolvey said:

I'm in the same boat as you. However, out of an abundance of caution (and not wanting to potentially pay for two tests -- the first potentially out of date test and a test at the pier) I moved my appointment from Wednesday to Thursday because of what the Government of Canada has to say on the subject (they seem to be much more clear than Princess, which can be ambiguous - hence this thread). 

525974125_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.6e778f08b27446308623df5ff186f49d.png

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

1 minute ago, [Big Z] said:

I'm in the same boat as you. However, out of an abundance of caution (and not wanting to potentially pay for two tests -- the first potentially out of date test and a test at the pier) I moved my appointment from Wednesday to Thursday because of what the Government of Canada has to say on the subject (they seem to be much more clear than Princess, which can be ambiguous - hence this thread). 

525974125_Screenshot(7).thumb.png.6e778f08b27446308623df5ff186f49d.png

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

Hmm.  I would like to know if anyone did three days for antigen, leaving from Seattle and had an excursion that went into Canada and  stopped in Victoria….and had no issues with their Covid test.

I was fearing the same as you. That’s why I just booked for tomorrow and Thu.  I may just do Thu for that fear.

I don't understand why anyone would bother with the hassle of the PCR and the 72-hrs?  Are they going to check the clock time when you check-in?  We don't really have a scheduled boarding time, although they try to have boarding going by 11:30am latest - generally.  So, if you take a PCR test late in the day of that 3-day window so that the 72 hr window stays open until typical sailing time, what if the results don't come back in time?  Why worry waiting for results that might have a problem in the lab? 

I say just do the rapid antigen and call it a day.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

I don't understand why anyone would bother with the hassle of the PCR and the 72-hrs?  Are they going to check the clock time when you check-in?  We don't really have a scheduled boarding time, although they try to have boarding going by 11:30am latest - generally.  So, if you take a PCR test late in the day of that 3-day window so that the 72 hr window stays open until typical sailing time, what if the results don't come back in time?  Why worry waiting for results that might have a problem in the lab? 

I say just do the rapid antigen and call it a day.

We are asking about antigen, not pcr. Princess says if you’re up to date, it can be taken three days. Canada website says 2 days. Which to believe? We want to know who has done antigen 3 days and if they ran into any issue with a sailing that stops in Canada.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Idratherbeatsea said:

Once you have the results then what. What format does Princess require the results? Visually from email, hard copy, or uploaded to the medallion app?

I've sailed with Princess twice in the past six months (Regal, November '21, Amber Cove & Princess Cays from Port Everglades; Majestic, April '22, California Coastal from San Pedro).  I gave them the hard copy of my test and they were accepted without question.  I'm pretty sure e-mail would work.  I don't know how to upload test results through the Medallion app.  Did they add this recently or am I just dense?