Your opinion on a forced cabin change

PACD_JG

Wasn't a happy camper this morning when I logged into my HAL account and saw that my Koningsdam cabin was changed from 4154 to 6130.  We are a family of 4 (two teen daughters), first cruise, and since we are in one room, I was lucky enough to score a cabin with the giant balcony.  Well, HAL said they took that cabin out of the inventory for Covid reasons (not sure I believe them since I literally saw a youtube video where somebody was in cabin 4156).  Anyway, after too much time on the phone, they "upgraded" me to a Vista Suite 5127.  Should I be happy or angry?

HA has been using the stern of deck 4 as quarantine space, so I’m not surprised they moved you. 

We have a disabled-accessible cabin (4154) booked on a cruise later this year, and I am concerned. I don’t want to have to go down the long passageway to the midship elevator in my wheelchair, nor do I particularly want to be that close to the quarantine area.

I’d be pretty happy with the change.

• Like 3

You did get an upgrade, free, I assume.  No reason to complain except I agree with you about the large balcony. The cruise line can do whatever they want if they need the cabins for quarantined passengers.  Heck, if I was quarantined, I'd love the extra space to keep from that claustophic feeling.

• Like 2

We were in 4156 in November and again in March and yes, 4154 was the first stateroom inside the firewall to the quarantine cabins.  It’s too bad that 4154 is included in that corridor of partially obstructed balconies but that is where the firewall closes. Our cabin stewards at that time indicated that closed off area was used for newly arriving staff to quarantine before joining the crew.  My guess was that maybe an officer quarantined there but never saw anyone on the balcony.  Above us on Deck 5 was a quarantine area for sick people.  We occasionally heard someone coughing on the balcony above.

Good for you for speaking up.  You deserve the free upgrade.  Have a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 0106 said:

I’d rather have the larger room than a bigger balcony for a family of 4.  I’d be happy.

Most times I agree with you, but in this case the Vista suite is not that much larger than the Verandah the OP booked and the balcony is smaller, even though the Vista balcony is larger than most other Vistas.  Looks like a wash to me, as the longer balcony would be nice with 4 people.

• Thanks 1

We had the same thing happen on our Rotterdam cruise last month.  We had cabin #4152 which is identical to cabin #4154 on the Koningsdam.  When we were on the ship we looked and it was the first cabin inside the quarantine area.  We were upset too since it's such a nice large balcony.  I wonder why HAL is letting it get booked at all.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Most times I agree with you, but in this case the Vista suite is not that much larger than the Verandah the OP booked and the balcony is smaller, even though the Vista balcony is larger than most other Vistas.  Looks like a wash to me, as the longer balcony would be nice with 4 people.

Here's what I was told.  6130 is 162 square feet plus 76 square feet balcony = 238.  5127 is 216 square feet plus 52 square feet balcony = 268.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, woodinville cruisers said:

I wonder why HAL is letting it get booked at all.

My thought as well.  Or at least they could have notified me prior to 30 (or 60, or better yet 90) days!

That’s a tricky one as the big balcony is nice. We are booked in 4156 for the same reason, a free Vista upgrade is nice too though as the room is larger. Kind of a 50/50 but I’d be ok with the larger vista room, not the original one they tried to give you, Good for you for talking to them and getting the vista upgrade. It’s about a $1200 or more difference. 

• Like 2

Maybe with all of the possible obstacles of travel be happy with 268 sq feet and have a fabulous cruise.  I would most probably bristle if I took the time to choose a cabin and it was changed, but with everything that can prevent traveling right now I would be happy to be going.  I hope your family has a great time.  Cherie   

• Like 1

I don't like forced upgrades but you complained well and got something for your efforts.  That area of the ship is best to be avoided until the CDC lifts their mandates and since it is the current protocol you should grin and bear it.  If it were not for the CDC protocol I would have a different answer

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don't like forced upgrades but you complained well and got something for your efforts.  That area of the ship is best to be avoided until the CDC lifts their mandates and since it is the current protocol you should grin and bear it.  If it were not for the CDC protocol I would have a different answer

Sometimes however you should like forced upgrades:  our multi generations family had a forced upgrade from VH to V for 3 cabins next to each other. No one complained 🙂 

• Like 1

I was in 4156 in October. I think every extra inch of that Vista will be a great thing for your party of 4.

(Plus no risk of the occasionally reported loud 1am sounds from the stairwell on the other side of your cabin wall.)

3 hours ago, steve4031 said:

How would this affect me in Neptune suite 42111.   Would I be able to use that first set of elevators as I go forward?

Yes, the aft elevator bank is usable. As is the midship hallway on the other side. Once you walk into the aft elevator bank lobby, the forward port side doorway is closed is all. You get used to it quickly 😉

• Thanks 2

On 5/27/2022 at 4:34 PM, Kateybell said:

It’s about a $1200 or more difference. 

Ha.  Unfortunately the amount I paid in November and what they are currently selling a Verandah for now...I'm breaking even.  😏