Live: Crown Princess Alaska / May 28-June 4, 2022

QuilterGirl

For those who want free sodas and didn’t pay the drink package,   Diet Coke, coke, sprite, or ginger ale  from the fountain are free at any of the bars. If they take out a can, they’ll charge you so ask for the fountain.

for orange juice and milk, get them at bfast at the food buffet as they are free there.

we had no internet connection the entire trip. Text was available on shore.  Weirdly, thru the medallion wifi, you can use google to search and gmail is available.  That was my only window to the outside world.

I wish I knew how tired it is from a seven day cruise, I would have booked my flight home at 130 instead of 330.  We were used shorter cruises so we were done by the 5th day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wolvey said:

For those who want free sodas and didn’t pay the drink package,   Diet Coke, coke, sprite, or ginger ale  from the fountain are free at any of the bars. If they take out a can, they’ll charge you so ask for the fountain.

for orange juice and milk, get them at bfast at the food buffet as they are free there.

we had no internet connection the entire trip. Text was available on shore.  Weirdly, thru the medallion wifi, you can use google to search and gmail is available.  That was my only window to the outside world.

I wish I knew how tired it is from a seven day cruise, I would have booked my flight home at 130 instead of 330.  We were used shorter cruises so we were done by the 5th day.

Wow that’s a great about soda. Thanks. Have you gotten off ship yet?

22 minutes ago, wolvey said:

This does not sound correct without a plus package or soda package sodas have also been charged for

• Like 2

Not sure what to tell you. I got an ungodly amount of Diet Coke and sprite and do not see the charges. When my hubby got the cans, I saw the charges. I knew he was charged because they would ask for his medallion or confirm his identity. For me, I took the drinks and they asked nothing so I left.

I have left the ship.  Easy to disembark around 9am. 

I would have definitely booked an earlier flight like around1pm as we’re all tired and not in the mood to do anything.  

3 minutes ago, wolvey said:

Not sure what to tell you. I got an ungodly amount of Diet Coke and sprite and do not see the charges. When my hubby got the cans, I saw the charges. I knew he was charged because they would ask for his medallion or confirm his identity. For me, I took the drinks and they asked nothing so I left.

I have left the ship.  Easy to disembark around 9am. 

I would have definitely booked an earlier flight like around1pm as we’re all tired and not in the mood to do anything.  

That sounds like you had the plus package or soda package. Were you charged for tips separately ?

I did not pay for the package.  If so, my hubby would not have been charged for the soda cans.  We were also charged for alcohol drinks and special drinks like non alcoholic pina coladas.

Yes, we were charged the daily crew appreciation fees (tips).

anyone who is on the next sailings can try this. I got most of the sodas at the explorers lounge bar and club fusion.

they kept saying normal coffee thru room service should be free, bur the app has it at starting at 1.50.  Ao it’s a lil whacked.

13 minutes ago, wolvey said:

did not pay for the package.  If so, my hubby would not have been charged for the soda cans.

can soda is NOT covered by the package ... any package on Princess

did you tip well for the "free" soda?  maybe it was a 'thing' on CROWN because of all the problems

1 hour ago, wolvey said:

They were not free in the past.

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

can soda is NOT covered by the package ... any package on Princess

did you tip well for the "free" soda?  maybe it was a 'thing' on CROWN because of all the problems

According to my booking, we got the stateroom upgrade and specialty restaurant. Doesn’t say anything about soda package.

at this point, I don’t care. The trip was a mess  and whatever I got out of it, I’m not complaining.  I got two plates of chocolate covered strawberries and all the guy told my daughter was “it’s from us”. No other explanation.

• Like 1

We're of the "one and done" group too. I couldn't care less about the 20% FCC on their overpriced cruises. We've been on many other lines, mostly Carnival, but we were hoping Princess would be much better than Carnival; frankly, it's not - it's just an overpriced Carnival ship. I just booked my next two cruises on MSC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailor75 said:

We're of the "one and done" group too. I couldn't care less about the 20% FCC on their overpriced cruises. We've been on many other lines, mostly Carnival, but we were hoping Princess would be much better than Carnival; frankly, it's not - it's just an overpriced Carnival ship. I just booked my next two cruises on MSC.

This will be our third Alaska cruise on this itinerary and 5th with Princess.  Unfortunately, they have not put their best foot forward with this cruise and I'm sorry this is the experience you got.  Princess is so much better.  However, we are feeling much the same at this point.

Meanwhile, Symphony out of Miami is delayed a day due to the tropical storm.  Guests have already been notified they will receive OBC for the missed day, plus a days worth for beverage, internet, or specialty dining packages.  If the OBC is not used by the end of the cruise, they will refund as cash.

This is a weather related event, out of control of RCCL, and they offered this to the passengers.  Haven't heard if other ships are getting the same.

Edited by jk04
  • Like 1

Post-cruise update - my wife and I have both tested positive for COVID and now I have to work and handle 3 young kids who missed us for a week while tired and not feeling well. Wish us luck!!

Timing wise - we got to Victoria at 7pm as planned (I was hoping for earlier like the prior week, but no such luck). We did not spend very much time in Glacier Bay, cruised by the glaciers and got out of dodge and on our way asap. We were docked in Seattle and I was the first person off the boat in self-assist at 7:20 AM and we made our 9:50 AM flight with plenty of time to spare.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, byucruiser said:

We did not spend very much time in Glacier Bay, cruised by the glaciers and got out of dodge and on our way asap.

That really upsets me, one of the biggest draws of the cruise and that time is shortened as well. :classic_angry:

Glad you made your flight and I hope you and your wife are feeling better soon.

Edited by jk04
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, byucruiser said:

Post-cruise update - my wife and I have both tested positive for COVID and now I have to work and handle 3 young kids who missed us for a week while tired and not feeling well. Wish us luck!!

Timing wise - we got to Victoria at 7pm as planned (I was hoping for earlier like the prior week, but no such luck). We did not spend very much time in Glacier Bay, cruised by the glaciers and got out of dodge and on our way asap. We were docked in Seattle and I was the first person off the boat in self-assist at 7:20 AM and we made our 9:50 AM flight with plenty of time to spare.

You were on the 28th sailing? It seems like we stayed in glacier bay for most of the day. We got into the entrance around 8-9am, sailed to the first glacier area around 10-1030 and then sailed to the second one around noon. Started to leave the area around 1230pm. It takes awhile to get thru the park.

so I’m not sure what you mean by not spending too much time in glacier bay. 

3 minutes ago, wolvey said:

You were on the 28th sailing? It seems like we stayed in glacier bay for most of the day. We got into the entrance around 8-9am, sailed to the first glacier area around 10-1030 and then sailed to the second one around noon. Started to leave the area around 1230pm. It takes awhile to get thru the park.

Oh good, glad to hear that.  Just love the time at Marjerie Glacier :classic_biggrin:

23 minutes ago, jk04 said:

Oh good, glad to hear that.  Just love the time at Marjerie Glacier :classic_biggrin:

One of the few bright spots was the weather in Juneau, Skagway and glacier bay.  Perfect weather! Upper 70s and sunny. We were overdressed :(.  Saw all the mountains, glaciers, and natural beauties perfectly! My kids even swam in the pool after finishing Skagway. Unfortunately it looks like the current sailing and the 11th may have be cloudy, rainy and colder.  Good luck on that.  It would be a shame not to be able to see anything due to rain or fog.

Marjorie glacier here:

97DFCB9B-C6B5-4F1D-983A-63F86BF90A18.thumb.jpeg.952441e03964e35b19629dadaac4ee99.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wolvey said:

I had the same thoughts, however we were talking with others who had made the trip before so had something to compare to. They were saying while the time in the park may have been about the same, the time at the glaciers was less. And it also sounded like they may have seen more of the park.

My first time there so really can't comment first hand.

On 6/4/2022 at 1:46 PM, Coral said:

They were not free in the past.

On 6/4/2022 at 11:56 AM, wolvey said:

Technically it is not free.Dont count on it.  But I think the bartenders get so used to people having drinks packages, sometimes if they are busy they just dont check for soft drinks and water.  I have had that happen on our past cruises.  They did check when buying alcohol drinks though. And I did have the package. 

On 6/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, wolvey said:

I suspect somehow your Medallion indicated you had the soda package as that included unlimited fountain sodas.

On 6/4/2022 at 10:56 AM, wolvey said:

Milk is available 24 hours a day for free.

10 hours ago, OKCruiseMan said:

I had the same thoughts, however we were talking with others who had made the trip before so had something to compare to. They were saying while the time in the park may have been about the same, the time at the glaciers was less. And it also sounded like they may have seen more of the park.

My first time there so really can't comment first hand.

Usually the ships spend half a day in Glacier Bay. Either morning or afternoon. Most of the time they don't go to John Hopkins Glacier due to the seals puping. I have only gone once and that was after Sept 1. It takes time to sail to it so this will reduce the time at Majorie Glacier.

5 hours ago, carbon said:

Your DW had symptoms?

Not anymore, but she did last Wednesday.  Started feeling better on Thursday/Friday.  She never had a fever, just sore throat/congestion Tuesday night/Wednesday morning.

Reading on this, I saw that the “new” BA.4/BA.5 sub variants are increasing now, but have a slight relation to Delta, and the article I was reading said those that had Delta had more immunity to these new ones.  I had Delta last August, so I am wondering if that’s what happened and why I (so far, checked again last night) haven’t tested positive and feel fine…

Same with my Mother and Brother.  Both had Delta last fall/winter.  Neither is positive.  There was also another cabin (in quarantine, you learn to talk to fellow quarantine-mates over the balcony) where one tested positive and the other never got it, and the one that didn’t get it had it in the fall as well…