P and o port guides

silversurf

33 minutes ago, Fionboard said:

No, just cannot see the difference between a cruise visitor to a destination and a traveller visiting by train, coach or plane. We all require the same sort of information, all of which can be found with a simple internet search. 

d520mia-3b245a5e-dbba-4f3b-9523-dc430bf6

• Like 1

Bom dia! (picked that up as a youngster from port notes!) I’ve been on Google for 20 minutes trying to find out where the shuttle bus pick up is ( for Porto) and the phone number of port agent…no luck with either. Still I can look forward to listening to the test match on long wave & the fishing forecast throughout the day. 

Edited by Ranchi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fionboard said:

No it was about restaurants, things to see etc.

yes, have to say I have been doing my research long before the cruise.  I didn't think the Port Guides in the cabin were a great deal of use.  One of our trips to Taormina, using the local train and a bus, all for 6 Euros, was sorted out before we went.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Exactly. I was referring to the original post, not shuttle bus stops, details of which are given, (along with the port agent contact number) in your Horizon the night before. I do not need this info in advance but do like to research the destinations I have not visited before,  although they are rare now!

I find information about shuttle buses helpful when planning for a cruise, not just the night before. Useful when there are mobility issues (as when my parents cruise with us) and also in deciding whether or not to book an excursion.

Google has loads of information, of course. When teaching, I used to suggest to my pupils that they type something like ‘Information about Rome for children’ - I know that restaurants and the like wouldn’t feature in the results, but you will often get bite-sized chunks of information, or useful lists. Adding ‘for children’ means that the search results are normally concise and clear. Not always, but mostly! 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

10 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

I find information about shuttle buses helpful when planning for a cruise, not just the night before. Useful when there are mobility issues (as when my parents cruise with us) and also in deciding whether or not to book an excursion.

Google has loads of information, of course. When teaching, I used to suggest to my pupils that they type something like ‘Information about Rome for children’ - I know that restaurants and the like wouldn’t feature in the results, but you will often get bite-sized chunks of information, or useful lists. Adding ‘for children’ means that the search results are normally concise and clear. Not always, but mostly! 

I guess folk post questions on cruise critic as they not only find the replies useful, but enjoy the camaraderie of fellow cruisers. Being advised not to waste folks time and to ask Google doesn't seem to fit the bill. As we are down in that Cornwall, I asked googly , jam or cream first?. It appears there is no definitive answer. I didn't bother asking about butter, or coffee. 1.6m opinions as it is.🤔

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Cannot believe you people are unable to use Google to get the info you need. Have been using it for years! 

Can you get information on Google.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Nothing for Palma Mallorca, Marseilles or La Spezia, which is 50% of the ports on B215.

As we are on that cruise, I googled 50%. Astonished to find out that's nearly half. Google has another convert.🤣

• Haha 3

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit. No need for it on here where we are only trying to answer original posts and are entitled to our different approaches to matters. It is rather childish. We all have our own experience and some on here are new to cruising so no need for those seasoned cruisers to be patronising.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zap99 said:

As we are on that cruise, I googled 50%. Astonished to find out that's nearly half. Google has another convert.🤣

Zap, if you fancy a drink, and a chat about cruise critic, then keep an eye out for Paulines wheelchair, its black and silver, and has orbit on the side panels, I will be the guy in glasses pushing her.

20 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Cannot believe you people are unable to use Google to get the info you need. Have been using it for years! 

16 minutes ago, Ardennais said:

You’re right of course. No need for patronising comments! 

Way too subtle! 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Zap, if you fancy a drink, and a chat about cruise critic, then keep an eye out for Paulines wheelchair, its black and silver, and has orbit on the side panels, I will be the guy in glasses pushing her.

Will do. I will be the timid looking bloke getting told to shut up.🤣.We are on the 2 October one. Is that right?.I would like to be sure as asking Ladies husband's out for a drink may be taken the wrong way . 

🤣just checked, ours is 223. I think that's a different one to yours.

Edited by zap99

50 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Will do. I will be the timid looking bloke getting told to shut up.🤣.We are on the 2 October one. Is that right?.I would like to be sure as asking Ladies husband's out for a drink may be taken the wrong way . 

🤣just checked, ours is 223. I think that's a different one to yours.

Oops sorry, I thought you were on B215 which goes this weekend, and our October cruise is on Iona, so not this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Oops sorry, I thought you were on B215 which goes this weekend, and our October cruise is on Iona, so not this year.

We were on Iona in October, but moved it to Britannia. Another year perhaps🤣

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

We were on Iona in October, but moved it to Britannia. Another year perhaps🤣

9 hours ago, bbtablet said:

Every time I see Iona in print my brain unscrambles it is an anagram of loan - very annoying!

Iona is a popular Welsh name for girls as is Ioan for boys and we have a Iona and a Ioan in our extended family! 

2 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Iona is a popular Welsh name for girls as is Ioan for boys and we have a Iona and a Ioan in our extended family! 

nice names. I thought Iona was Scottish after the Island of Iona