Cue the romance! To massage or not to massage

DiKaiDance

I am doing a honeymoon Baja sailing and thought it would be fun to kick it off with a massage at sail away. The current price is $209, seems steep for a 50 minute couples massage compared to doing it at a local place. Anybody take advantage of the spa and have any input on if it’s worth it. Are there better couples treatments or romantic things to do instead?

DH and I have both had massages (single and couples) on Carnival and we enjoyed them very much and would do them again. However, you are paying for the convenience of getting a massage while on a cruise. There is nothing that makes them stand out from getting a regular land-based massage as far as why they are more expensive.

If I was in your position I would probably choose to get a couples massage just because we enjoy getting them on vacation. A lot of people will probably note that they try to sell you products at the end of the massage. I've never had them be very pushy with me and it really doesn't bother me to say no thank you.

Also even if you get a couples massage, you can customize each one the way you want--DH got the Thai poultice massage and I got a hot stone massage. You don't have to get the same thing.

I used to do them but after a few, I realized it wasn't worth the high price and the annoying sales pitch for their body scrub or whatever they're selling. I'd rather put money towards dining or drink package or my wife will often find a purse or bag in the stores.

If you do go, be sure you realize gratuity is built into the cost so any tip you add will be extra as you've already tipped.

Congrats on the wedding!!

Edited by pc_load_letter

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Too bad you arent going to costa maya or the like. $25 for 1 hour massage still. 

That would be great. But I guess I will have to pay a bit more for a nice surprise.

2 minutes ago, pc_load_letter said:

I used to do them but after a few, I realized it wasn't worth the high price and the annoying sales pitch for their body scrub or whatever they're selling. I'd rather put money towards dining or drink package or my wife will often find a purse or bag in the stores.

If you do go, be sure you realize gratuity is built into the cost so any tip you add will be extra as you've already tipped.

Congrats on the wedding!!

Thank you. That is really good to know. I think we will do it once just to say we did. It’s a special time so why not have all the bells and whistles. 

I say go for it!  My wife and I get some treatment on a cruise.  Yes, you can get it a lot cheaper on land, but we just don't find the time. It makes the trip special. And even more special when you do it together.

If your cruise stops at Cozumel, I’d recommend making reservations online to Nacho Cocom & also make a reservation for one of their massages- you’re  in a tent on the beach- best massage I ever had .

All you have to do to get them to skip the sales pitch at the end is write on your form you have to fill out before your treatment that you are not interested in hearing about or buying any products.  Both my husband and I do this and no more sales pitch.  Vacation is the only time we get spa services (small town) so we always take advantage.  It is less expensive to get a couples treatment rather than two separately booked ones.  Also, port days are slightly less expensive than sea ones.

1 hour ago, fabby50 said:

All you have to do to get them to skip the sales pitch at the end is write on your form you have to fill out before your treatment that you are not interested in hearing about or buying any products.  Both my husband and I do this and no more sales pitch.  Vacation is the only time we get spa services (small town) so we always take advantage.  It is less expensive to get a couples treatment rather than two separately booked ones.  Also, port days are slightly less expensive than sea ones.

That is good to know because my soon to be husband is a poor listener and will automatically default to yes. We once ended up with a plate of chicken feet at a Dim Sum restaurant because he didn’t understand what the waiter was asking LOL.

I was looking at doing it during sail away at 5 to kick things off right. When given the choice of the sail away party or a massage the fiancé opted for the more peaceful event.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, fabby50 said:

On another cruise line, someone posted that as they entered the massage room, they gave the crew member half of the tip and said that they would get the second  half at the end, IF they didn't say a word about any product or sales pitch during the massage. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

It's not very romantic. Not like you're alone and/or can talk "freely"

I also never saw the appeal of a couples massage. The whole point of a massage is having a therapist work on your body. You're laying down on separate tables and have separate therapists work on each person individually. The point of a massage to to be relaxed and allow the therapist to massage various parts of you body. You're not supposed to be talking away, your supposed to be closing your eyes and relaxing. So you won't be looking at your SO nor should you be talking away with them. I would much rather do a special private jacuzzi session with my SO. There you're actually sitting next to your SO, and can touch and get romantic. Nothing romantic about a couples massage when your not actually touching each other. 

• Like 1

Funny story. My Wife and I had a couples massage on a cruise around 10 years ago. Overall it was great (can't remember the cost). However we had never had a massage before and the two female masseuses were discussing the process with us and explaining that some of the oil/scrub may damage our clothes so we can get some disposable underwear to use during the massage. We opted for the disposable. The ladies left the room we got changed into said underwear. My Wife's pair was fine and covered everything. My pair were small and would have better fitted a tiny gymnast. Apparently this was a universal "mens" size. Now being from Europe, I am used to tiny swim gear (not that it's my go to)! But this was something else. Nevertheless I decided to just run with it as it was only us in the room and if that's the size then that's the size and every other guy has had to deal with it. 

We loved the massage so much that we decided to get another one later that week. This time we had two different masseuses, they went through the same discussion however this time they brought out a pair of disposable shorts!!!! I mentioned the first massage and they burst out laughing. This was apparently a joke they play on unsuspecting customers. I was horrified at how gullible I was but saw the joke. We did see the original ladies after finding out and they bought us a drink. 

Note to all guys. BEWARE Don't wear a disposable pair of briefs just because some gives them to you

: )))

Congratulations! My DH and I have gotten the couples massages. We also write on the paperwork "not buying products". If you are on a ship with spa passes you may consider getting them. We loved it so much we get spa rooms now when on those ships. Quiet and peaceful and we love lounging in the aroma rooms on the heated beds. We also tried the Rain Ritual. It was nice to try once. 

We get couple's massages solely for the price reduction.  Don't know why they are cheaper, probably because most people book individual services.  We don't talk during them, we pretty much ignore each other, my husband sometimes falls asleep and snores 🙂  Of course, we did just celebrate (?) our 37th wedding anniversary, we pretty much ignore each other all the time anyway.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, fabby50 said:

We get couple's massages solely for the price reduction.  Don't know why they are cheaper, probably because most people book individual services.  We don't talk during them, we pretty much ignore each other, my husband sometimes falls asleep and snores 🙂  Of course, we did just celebrate (?) our 37th wedding anniversary, we pretty much ignore each other all the time anyway.

Yes we don't talk either. We are celebrating 28 years on our cruise in June 

I like massages, but the couples massage is not romantic.  If that is what you are looking for, book a few nights in the specialty restaurant.  And I also like the idea of the spa passes, if offered on your ship.  This way you actually get to spend some quality time together.  

Also note, that you will likely have to pay an additional 18% service charge on the ship, which was not included on our prepaid massages on the Mardi Gras.  

5 hours ago, Big Blue Sea said:

Funny story. My Wife and I had a couples massage on a cruise around 10 years ago. Overall it was great (can't remember the cost). However we had never had a massage before and the two female masseuses were discussing the process with us and explaining that some of the oil/scrub may damage our clothes so we can get some disposable underwear to use during the massage. We opted for the disposable. The ladies left the room we got changed into said underwear. My Wife's pair was fine and covered everything. My pair were small and would have better fitted a tiny gymnast. Apparently this was a universal "mens" size. Now being from Europe, I am used to tiny swim gear (not that it's my go to)! But this was something else. Nevertheless I decided to just run with it as it was only us in the room and if that's the size then that's the size and every other guy has had to deal with it. 

We loved the massage so much that we decided to get another one later that week. This time we had two different masseuses, they went through the same discussion however this time they brought out a pair of disposable shorts!!!! I mentioned the first massage and they burst out laughing. This was apparently a joke they play on unsuspecting customers. I was horrified at how gullible I was but saw the joke. We did see the original ladies after finding out and they bought us a drink. 

Note to all guys. BEWARE Don't wear a disposable pair of briefs just because some gives them to you

Another alternative is not to wear anything at all. I've been getting massages for decades and have never worn anything to anyone them. To be honest you're not supposed to wear anything. The therapist will position the cloths and towels so nothing is exposed. No need for disposable anything. 

Edited by kwokpot

10 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I also never saw the appeal of a couples massage. The whole point of a massage is having a therapist work on your body. You're laying down on separate tables and have separate therapists work on each person individually. The point of a massage to to be relaxed and allow the therapist to massage various parts of you body. You're not supposed to be talking away, your supposed to be closing your eyes and relaxing. So you won't be looking at your SO nor should you be talking away with them. I would much rather do a special private jacuzzi session with my SO. There you're actually sitting next to your SO, and can touch and get romantic. Nothing romantic about a couples massage when your not actually touching each other. 

THIS!  

9 hours ago, Big Blue Sea said:

I appreciate that it was your first massage, but they typically say undress to your comfort level. There really isn't a reason to feel uncomfortable without anything on, as the therapists are professionals and will adjust the draping however needed to maintain any comfort (eliminate the possibility of any exposure). Please understand that to a LMT, it's just muscle and not, in any way, something erotic.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 8:22 AM, DiKaiDance said:

I am doing a honeymoon Baja sailing and thought it would be fun to kick it off with a massage at sail away. The current price is $209, seems steep for a 50 minute couples massage compared to doing it at a local place. Anybody take advantage of the spa and have any input on if it’s worth it. Are there better couples treatments or romantic things to do instead?

Cruise ship massages are a rip off! I'd do it onshore, you'll find a way better price and massage! And, you won't have to worry about the upsell AFTER the massage, which is another nightmare in itself!