Drive from Toronto to Cape Liberty, NY Terminal

JasonC

Hi everyone,

We will be driving from Toronto to the cruise terminal and wanted to know if anyone had any tips/suggestions on any stops along the way! 

We will be doing it over 2 days and so trying to just plan out where to stop and stay and if there are any recommended places along the way others have gone to and hotels they have stayed at.

Lastly, when you do arrive at terminal, is it pretty straight forward on what to do and where to park?

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,

Jason

Edited by JasonC

Sorry…a bit long but hope this helps. We drove from Ottawa to Cape Liberty for our cruise on May 12, but we drove the same day (left the house at 4:30 am, ETA was 11:30 but after Duty-free, gas and food stops we arrived at 1:30). On the way there, we had some GPS confusion about 25 minutes before arriving, mainly because we had  the “avoid tolls” setting on, by mistake. At the cruise terminal, you drop off the large suitcases (Labelled as Zone 6), then drive to the parking garage next door. For us, the parking garage was full (except for handicap), so we were directed to a nearby surface lot. With the outdoor lots, you prepay the parking and are given a tag to place in the car. A shuttle will pick you up from there (or you can walk) and bring you back to the terminal. After the cruise, if you are parked in the garage it’s an easy walk to your car. For us, we left our older daughters to wait with the luggage (Zone 5 I think) while hubby and I got the bus/shuttle to the parking. It wasn’t clear where to get the bus, and I can’t describe it that well, but just walk towards the parking garage, and there will be someone near there to tell you where to go. We picked up the car, looped around and picked up daughters & luggage. Filled up the gas at the Costco near the terminal - they don’t ask to see your membership card, and in NJ the attendant must pump the gas (no self serve). We had a bit of confusion at the bridge because the EZ Pass/toll stuff. Basically, make sure to keep to the left-most lane because if you don’t have EZ pass you need to get a ticket. There is a lot of traffic and lanes, so it can be a bit nerve wracking to be on the wrong side! Then when exiting the toll highway, look for the booths that allow you to pay cash, and know which direction you’ll be heading. I ended up going to the left instead of right, and it ended up costing us more in tolls eventually. Don’t forget to complete your ArriveCAN, I did it the day before while we had internet on the ship.

We drove from Ottawa on May 21st, stayed in Parsippany overnight before the cruise. It was an easy drive to the port and very easy once there to drop off bags and then park. We stopped in Syracuse on the way there for lunch but there were plenty of places along the way. It took about 7 hours to get to the hotel (including lunch break and a stop for gas along the way), it was a bit longer coming home, I guess we stopped more often. 

We avoided all tolls except on the bridges when we crossed to /from the USA. 

Our experience parking wasn't the same as karebare22 - we were directed to a spot and given a ticket to pay when we returned. We missed the paying at the parking terminal but were able to pay a person as we were leaving. We didn't have to pay a toll to get back to the highways to return home, but I had it set to avoid tolls and while it was a little messy, we managed to avoid all the tolls and get on the highway fine. 

Edited by MamatoJack
  • Like 1

We have done this many times and we always stay in the Parsippany/Whippany area.  It's a super easy drive in the morning from there.  You can avoid tolls, but honestly, they aren't that expensive.  Just have some US $ on hand for them.  Before they built the parking garage we could park in the lots, but the garage is great.  Just try and have an earlier boarding time so that you can get a spot there.  We did once do a park and cruise hotel, but didn't find it as convenient or any cheaper really.  We like sailing out of here for the convenience plus there is the beautiful 911 memorial beside the pier and you can see the Statue of Liberty from the ship.  Sailing under the Verrazano Bridge is also a cool experience.  

Keep in mind the New York Thruway has gone to electronic only tolling (like 407) if your drive will take you along that route. 

I recommend grabbing an EZ Pass if you drive across often, costs $25 to buy in store (often available at gas stations, duty free stores, grocery stores, etc) and once registered that entire amount is applied to your future tolls. 

2 hours ago, cmich068 said:

Keep in mind the New York Thruway has gone to electronic only tolling (like 407) if your drive will take you along that route. 

I recommend grabbing an EZ Pass if you drive across often, costs $25 to buy in store (often available at gas stations, duty free stores, grocery stores, etc) and once registered that entire amount is applied to your future tolls. 

Alternatively, you can register with EZ pass New York (they tell you what number to call before every tolling position) and they will bill you by mail. What you mustn’t do is drive the Thruway without either a transponder or registration. 

We did this for Anthem this past March.  Left on a Friday for a Sunday cruise.  Our original plan was to stop overnight and stay in Syracuse as it was half way.  But we had a storm coming so pushed further to avoid the bad weather and stayed in Albany at Hampton Inn.  Stay was nice.  (Then drive was only about 2hrs the next morning).  We stopped along the way for a quick bite and washroom / stretch legs breaks.

In New Jersey we stayed at Country Inn and Suites.  Wouldn't stay there again as we had a few issues.

We had a transponder as others suggested.

The terminal is quite straight forward. Parking is right there and covered.  We had one of the first check in times, we were a bit early and we just walked right on the ship.

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

What you mustn’t do is drive the Thruway without either a transponder or registration. 

We drove down the day the border opened last Fall. We had cash with us but they no longer take cash. We did drive without registering or a transponder and received a bill for around $10. A lot less than we were expecting.

6 minutes ago, Cardex said:

We drove down the day the border opened last Fall. We had cash with us but they no longer take cash. We did drive without registering or a transponder and received a bill for around $10. A lot less than we were expecting.

You were lucky. The signs all talk about penalties for driving without registering or a transponder.

When I drove to Rochester, and then on to the Hudson valley in April, my transponder didn't work, and I didn't find out until I got back to the Peace Bridge and tried to use it at an automatic only lane. But because my license plate was registered with NY E-ZPass and I have an E-ZPass account, I paid the toll by mail rate, but no penalties. (Thruway tolls are WAY lower than Ontario's highway 407 tolls.)

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

You were lucky. The signs all talk about penalties for driving without registering or a transponder.

This did include penalties, they just weren't very much.

Edited by Cardex

On 6/10/2022 at 11:42 AM, gnome12 said:

When I drove to Rochester, and then on to the Hudson valley in April, my transponder didn't work, and I didn't find out until I got back to the Peace Bridge and tried to use it at an automatic only lane. But because my license plate was registered with NY E-ZPass and I have an E-ZPass account, I paid the toll by mail rate, but no penalties. (Thruway tolls are WAY lower than Ontario's highway 407 tolls.)

I don't believe these "penalties" are legal fines, such as a speeding ticket etc, they are merely extra charges imposed to recoup costs associated with tracking down a license plate # from a non-EZPass car, mailing costs etc. There are savings associated with being in the EZPass ecosystem, but driving around down there without a transponder is perfectly viable, just a bit more expensive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I don't believe these "penalties" are legal fines, such as a speeding ticket etc, they are merely extra charges imposed to recoup costs associated with tracking down a license plate # from a non-EZPass car, mailing costs etc. There are savings associated with being in the EZPass ecosystem, but driving around down there without a transponder is perfectly viable, just a bit more expensive.

It is still worth registering your license plate with them so that they have the address on file and don’t have to track you down. It is a toll free cell call to do so. 

22 hours ago, gnome12 said:

It is still worth registering your license plate with them so that they have the address on file and don’t have to track you down. It is a toll free cell call to do so. 

Valid point.  I assume my car is registered as part of the lengthy EZPass setup, since one of the many pieces of info required was license #, make, model, age and type of vehicle.

2 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Valid point.  I assume my car is registered as part of the lengthy EZPass setup, since one of the many pieces of info required was license #, make, model, age and type of vehicle.

If you have EZPass it isn't an issue, except in my case where the transponder had died.

By mail billing has a surcharge of toll+30% + $2.

Application for a tag can be found at https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/downloads.shtml. Online application doesn't accept Canadian postal codes.

Buying a tag at a retail location looks to be easy, but the tag has to be activated which only occurs day after completing online registration. So buying the tag on the way to the toll route is not going to work.

EZ-Pass can be used in 18 states including NY and NJ.

30 minutes ago, broberts said:

Application for a tag can be found at https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/downloads.shtml. Online application doesn't accept Canadian postal codes.

Buying a tag at a retail location looks to be easy, but the tag has to be activated which only occurs day after completing online registration. So buying the tag on the way to the toll route is not going to work.

I guess that I was lucky. When I applied, it was for Peace Bridge EZ-Pass, which of course was used to both Canadian and US addresses. They were then taken over by EZ-Pass New York. I have never had a problem with them; when I told them that my transponder hadn't worked on my trip, they sent me a new one. I did note that they didn't ask me to return the old one, even though I had been told that I would have to do that. I presume that it was due to the shipping cost. (407 ETR was proactive in telling me that my transponder was nearing the end of its life. They did insist that I send the old one back.)

As an aside, I did notice now that the NY State Thruway tolls have 3 price bands, one for EZ-Pass NY holders, one for EZ-Pass from other states, and one for tolls by mail. All are MUCH cheaper than the 407.

20 hours ago, gnome12 said:

As an aside, I did notice now that the NY State Thruway tolls have 3 price bands, one for EZ-Pass NY holders, one for EZ-Pass from other states, and one for tolls by mail. All are MUCH cheaper than the 407.

Okay….how much is the 407 toll now? Ive taken it a few times driving to Sarnia and liked the less congested drive….but after having to travel at least at 120km/hr to keep up on the 401…one has to slow down on the 407, lots of traffic cops patrolling.  

17 minutes ago, ladysail2 said:

Okay….how much is the 407 toll now? Ive taken it a few times driving to Sarnia and liked the less congested drive….but after having to travel at least at 120km/hr to keep up on the 401…one has to slow down on the 407, lots of traffic cops patrolling.  

The toll varies by time of day but it will be $40 - $50 from Hwy 35 in the east to Hwy 401 in the west. I use the 407 a few times each month for work and for bypassing the 401 through Toronto when we visit the grandkids in Ottawa. Well worth the money. My minimum on the 407 is 130kph - you just have to know the OPP's favorite hangouts. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
We visit my son and DIL too.

2 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

The toll varies by time of day but it will be $40 - $50 from Hwy 35 in the east to Hwy 401 in the west. I use the 407 a few times each month for work and for bypassing the 401 through Toronto when we visit the grandkids in Ottawa. Well worth the money. I my minimum on the 407 is 130kph - you just have to know the OPP's favorite hangouts. 😉

Thank you! I think I remember paying $41 back in 2015.  When I was on the 407, the OPP weren’t hiding..they were quite visible on the highway…so I minded my p’s & q’s.  I didn’t mind, I found it to be a pleasant drive. 

The 407 has the most complicated fare structure that I have ever seen. There are different zones, from the least used to the most used, and, if I remember correctly, 5 different time bands. Plus they charge a per trip fee even if you have a transponder, which went from 25¢ to $1.

Personally, I have never seen the OPP on the 407. Maybe it is just the times that I have driven it.

45 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

Personally, I have never seen the OPP on the 407. Maybe it is just the times that I have driven it.

You must have been lucky. I haven’t driven on it since early 2015….and there were lots of them especially as one entered at the East end. 

On 6/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, broberts said:

I purchased the $25 tag at a Pricechopper in upstate NY on the way down to NJ a few days ago. I went to the EZPass website for registering and activating the xponder purchased at a retail location, and it definitely did allow me to select Canada then Quebec then input my 6 digit postal code, no problems. When I successfully completed the registration, it then gave me a message pointing out that it would be active until 7AM the next day, so yes, it didn't work on our drive down through NY into NJ.  Should work fine when we drive back in a few days.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

I purchased the $25 tag at a Pricechopper in upstate NY on the way down to NJ a few days ago. I went to the EZPass website for registering and activating the xponder purchased at a retail location, and it definitely did allow me to select Canada then Quebec then input my 6 digit postal code, no problems. When I successfully completed the registration, it then gave me a message pointing out that it would be active until 7AM the next day, so yes, it didn't work on our drive down through NY into NJ.  Should work fine when we drive back in a few days.

My reference to not accepting Canadian postal codes was for online ordering a tag. Since I didn't have a tag I didn't bother checking on the registration process. Very glad to learn that that works with Canadian addresses.

Safe travels.

Maine is an EZ-Pass state and accepts Canadian addresses for transponder sales.  Super easy to use website, and 7 to 10 days later you have your transponder.  Mine is mounted and ready for the trip to Cape Liberty tomorrow.  (Leaving from NB)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1