Mosquitos

kcmo74

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Remember to check about the carriage of bug and other pest sprays in your carry-on

airline baggage (number quantity limits) Bear spray is extremely critical !!!

Your post was comical but I feel the need to address your bear spray topic. Bear spray is not allowed on any commercial aircraft in either checked baggage or carry on. If required, it must be purchased or rented at your destination. I’m not even sure if you could take it on a cruise ship…

That said, I heard a joke about bear pepper spray and something about how the bears like the seasoning on their meat…

I wouldn’t worry about bear spray on the wall to Nugget Falls. Like the PP said, they could be in the area but it’s highly unlikely you would have any encounter. We weren’t concerned there at all. Nor were we hiking in Skagway.

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

There will be bears in the area.  No need for bear spray, just walk in a group and make some noise on your stroll to the falls. 

This may usually work but get between a mother bear and her cubs and all bets are off.  There are cases where people do everything right and are still attacked by bears.  Sometimes stuff just happens.

DON

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 6:17 PM, SDPadreFan said:

2 things I recommend (as do a ton of other folks)

#1 Bug Bite Thing - used PROPERLY (that means really reading the instructions and following them exactly). This item works on virtually any insect bite for removing a great deal of the irritant. Not 100% perfect, but it really does provide a huge relief.

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-Bite-Thing-Suction-Remover/dp/B01576DWQU/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1QQAWPI0ZI4SJ&keywords=bug+bite+thing&qid=1654984729&sprefix=bug+bite+thing%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-2

#2 A Picaridin based insect repellent. Our choice (and many, many others) is Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent. Two very specific benefits to using Picaridin. It doesn't ruin some fabrics like DEET based products. And this is HUGE - it doesn't stink like DEET based products. We are currently using the 4oz spray bottles, but I have also just purchased the 4 oz lotion to try.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picardie-Repellent-Fishermans-SP544/dp/B07BSN5YLN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LN09U798DC18&keywords=sawyer+picaridin+insect+repellent&qid=1654984660&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-3

or

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Picardie-Repellent-Fishermans-SP544/dp/B00VV5KRD8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=LN09U798DC18&keywords=sawyer%2Bpicaridin%2Binsect%2Brepellent&qid=1654984660&sprefix=sawyer%2Caps%2C135&sr=8-3&th=1

Right now - the best value is the single bottle package of the 4 oz lotion. Currently $5.97 (or $1.49 per ounce) I just ordered - and received single package 4 bottles.

I have the bug bite thing and it works great!  I'm usually getting bit when I realize I didn't put any spray on.  Have to remember to put it in my bag!

On 6/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, SDPadreFan said:

#2 A Picaridin based insect repellent. Our choice (and many, many others) is Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent. Two very specific benefits to using Picaridin. It doesn't ruin some fabrics like DEET based products. And this is HUGE - it doesn't stink like DEET based products. We are currently using the 4oz spray bottles, but I have also just purchased the 4 oz lotion to try.

I always wondered why the companies don't make 3.3oz bottles, so that they can be in carry on luggage.  The company could sell less, and charge the same.

On 6/16/2022 at 11:44 AM, urbanhawk said:

In the mid 80's, I lived and worked for 3 seasons at Denali-days off, would go hiking and camping in the park. I remember one time being at Wonder Lake. It was a beautiful sunny day, and not a cloud in the sky -"the mountain" was out-it was heaven on earth, but also a living hell, with all those pesky skeeters. I swear, millions of them.😮. Wear the hat with the  mosquito netting, and dress in long pants, , long sleeved shirts, etc. No skin exposure. Same thing at the Artic Circle at solstice. (summer😉!!!)

I think "one time" is the important part to note 😃   One time out of three seasons is not too bad!  I imagine you saw them other times, but it was bad just that one time?

On 6/17/2022 at 6:12 PM, petuniaflower said:

Would like  to piggy back off this..was it a joke or is bear spray something we will need, say on the walk to Nugget Falls?  And if needed, is this something available at every port?

When we went to Nugget Falls, we saw no bears.  But plenty of fellow cruisers and Juneau locals.  The kids had a lot of fun playing with two dogs at the falls, the owners were very nice and hospitable.

1 hour ago, mpk said:

I think "one time" is the important part to note 😃   One time out of three seasons is not too bad!  I imagine you saw them other times, but it was bad just that one time?

Too funny. Thanks for the laugh!😂!!!! And, "one other time"😉, some friends and I were wading in some ponds outside the park, and we quickly found out, that there were leeches in Alaska-who would have thunk?!

On 6/4/2022 at 10:05 PM, kcmo74 said:

Are they a real problem in Alaska, or is it overblown? My wife has the kind of blood they feast on and she has been watching Tik Toks of people that live up there wearing nets around their heads. They don’t like to bite me so I’m not worried.

This is the primary reason we are going in May, not later in the summer!

15 hours ago, CruisingSince1982 said:

This is the primary reason we are going in May, not later in the summer!

Just went in May (granted it went into June too) and on two tours my arms weren’t still at all because of the swatting/fanning them away....you may not miss them! Haha