Equinox or rcl symphony of the seas

snoopycr

Trying to decide a caribbean trip. 7n  with symphony or 8n with celebrity equinox? We just did 5n on oasis of the seas and it was really nice. 1st time on that huge class ship

Never been on celebrity. wondering if the experience will be better/different than the newer symphony? 

Anyone have been on both or either ships? I like the ship experience, my wife likes the itinerary. Celeb has the better itinerary for this trip. 

Thanks! 

Edited by snoopycr

Been on Equinox and Harmony and had two total different vacations.

If you want superb food and service and like to relax or leave the ship for excursions - go for Equinox.

If you want action and rather stay on the ship - go for Harmony.

With Kids, Harmony would be also the better choice as Equinox has almost nothing to do on the ship.

Yup, two different experiences, neither is better ... they're just different 😃

We've been on multiple X cruises, both M and S class. And we've been in both the Symphony and Wonder of the Seas.

While we enjoy the high energy activities of Royal Caribbean we do actually prefer the subtle classyness of Celebrity Cruises. 

Royal Caribbean never sleeps and you're never in doubt with the music pumping everywhere and always. Even a quiet walk in Central Park comes with the high powered music from the pool deck. Yet again, if this is your thing, go for it. 

On Celebrity you'll find music somewhere, but not as intrusive as on the Royal vessels. Celebrity is more like couples strolling along and enjoying good company, fancy shopping and great food. Celebrity does feature Broadway style shows, but not the brand name extravaganzas like Hairspray or Grease. You will find a duo playing somewhere and an a capella group entertaing somewhere else.

That said, the Celebrity officers will also get into the pool to challenge passengers for a game of volleyball or archery in the atrium.

Best bet would be to check out YouTube videos of both and decide for yourself 😎

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruiserByHeart said:

We've been on multiple X cruises, both M and S class. And we've been in both the Symphony and Wonder of the Seas.

While we enjoy the high energy activities of Royal Caribbean we do actually prefer the subtle classyness of Celebrity Cruises. 

Royal Caribbean never sleeps and you're never in doubt with the music pumping everywhere and always. Even a quiet walk in Central Park comes with the high powered music from the pool deck. Yet again, if this is your thing, go for it. 

On Celebrity you'll find music somewhere, but not as intrusive as on the Royal vessels. Celebrity is more like couples strolling along and enjoying good company, fancy shopping and great food. Celebrity does feature Broadway style shows, but not the brand name extravaganzas like Hairspray or Grease. You will find a duo playing somewhere and an a capella group entertaing somewhere else.

That said, the Celebrity officers will also get into the pool to challenge passengers for a game of volleyball or archery in the atrium.

Perfect description of the two experiences…

Only additional information I would add is that we find the food on Celebrity at all venues from the buffet to the Speciality restaurants better. Also, if you are cruising as a family, there are more room option choices including several types of family suitable suites.

I have been on both ships and agree with the previous comments.  The other thing I will add is it also makes a difference on what type of cabin you book.  A Basic balcony or lower cabin will have different options that a suite on both lines.  Suites have more options on both lines and I think Celebrity wins in that category unless you are traveling with children.

• Thanks 1

I think for kids, the entertainment would be more fun on Symphony. If you liked Oasis, you will love Symphony according to the dozens of reviews I have read.

Just don't get a Central Park cabin if you want any air movement on your balcony!

• Thanks 1

The indoor adults only solarium on the Equinox is so nice and so relaxing.  Also, for an upcharge you can do glass blowing (with assistance).  We have been on the Equinox twice and truly adore it.  That being said, we are also scheduled to try the Symphony this December.  While, I prefer the more mellow vibe of Celebrity (except for most of the production shows, which I just find downright weird), I also love all the variety of things to do on the Royal ships.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, CruiserByHeart said:

Perfect description IMHO. Can’t go wrong with either ship.

• Like 1

It is all about the experience, vibe and what is most important on your cruise.  I love newer ships on Celebrity, but enjoyed my cruise on Equinox.  I have not sailed Royal for years, but I am also quite a few years older.

Edited by Lastdance

You already know the "Bigger and Bolder" presentation of Royal's Oasis Class ships. The smaller, quieter, more relaxed environment of Celebrity is certainly different, in a good way. The Solstice Class ships - including Equinox - provide a very enjoyable cruising experience. Our cruise line of choice is Celebrity, but we have cruised on Royal's Harmony, Allure and Oasis. We will take another trip on Harmony in two weeks. Obviously, we enjoy both cruise lines. 

Once you have considered all suggestions and comments on this thread, add the elements of cruising that mean the most to you both. It all comes down to what best fits your current mood and inclination. It sounds like you will eventually want to try something different. Question is, will it be sooner or later?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CruiserByHeart said:

On Celebrity you'll find music somewhere, but not as intrusive as on the Royal vessels.

Unless you're at the pool. They were really cranking it up when we were on Reflection in February, so much so that I had to leave. I was less than pleased. 

2 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Unless you're at the pool. They were really cranking it up when we were on Reflection in February, so much so that I had to leave. I was less than pleased. 

That is another reason we enjoy the pool in the solarium.  They play very soft spa-like music in there.  

11 minutes ago, rebeccac said:

That is another reason we enjoy the pool in the solarium.  They play very soft spa-like music in there.  

The music is quite nice, but I prefer the open air. 

I actually enjoyed the music at the pool (both the recorded and the live), but the volume just got to be too much. My wife and I couldn't even talk to each other without shouting. 

Edited by DCPIV
  • Thanks 1

There have been several comprehensive comparisons.  I would agree that the food is somewhat better on Celebrity Equinox.  But you cannot beat the higher energy level aboard the RCCL ship.  We have enjoyed both and it is a win-win decision.

Another difference deals with the announcements.  There were more announcements on the Royal ship than on most Celebrity ships.  We were annoyed by a captain on Celebrity who also advertised for jewelry shops, having picture taken, etc   But that is a rarity for Celebrity.  Generally, it is more low key on the Equinox.

Edited by keesar
  • Thanks 1

At 80 years old my favorite ships are Celebrity M and S class ships. I tried the Edge but it was not for me.

That said I love the Oasis class RCCL ships!  Why? Because of the Entertainment and the Central Park.

we were on Wonder of the Seas for one of its first US sailings and I can put up with the screaming rug rats for the good things on the Oasis class ships.

do not book a balcony cabin facing the Central Park (no air circulation and seeing a 400 pound guy on the balcony across from you in a Speedo can make you want keep the drapes pulled shut) or aft near the Aqua Theater where the musical is blasting.

an outside balcony or an inside with a big virtual sea view screen is way better.

• Thanks 1

On 6/5/2022 at 9:03 PM, keesar said:

We were annoyed by a captain on Celebrity who also advertised for jewelry shops, having picture taken, etc   But that is a rarity for Celebrity.

The only time a Captain has made an announcement, other than the usual daily 10am, was when we couldn’t get into St Petersburg, due to high winds.

We have sailed Royal x 2 (Itinerary)and CelebrityCruises x10.