How long before you Sail, do you start packing.....Any tips on how to make it easy....

BklynBoy8

7 hours ago, techteach said:

@lissie I love it! Yes, I am referring to what you call plasters. Fabric we use around wounds such as an ankle sprain is an elastic bandage.

And I do take a bandage too, as my ankle sometimes needs a bit of support. (Yes, I know what you are thinking, but even when sober.)

• Like 1

Love these types of threads and planning and packing suggestions and have read many of them!  I can always find at least one suggestion that I did not have before.

I also agree that all of this adds to the "vacation/trip" experience!  If I book a cruise 18+ months ahead, it gives me so much enjoyment thinking about some aspect of the trip all along the way!  It is starting to feel a bit more "normal" as well, since the last several years have curbed all of the enjoyment we can now feel again.

Thank you to everyone who has added to the enjoyment!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alibabacruisers said:

Love these types of threads and planning and packing suggestions and have read many of them!  I can always find at least one suggestion that I did not have before.

I also agree that all of this adds to the "vacation/trip" experience!  If I book a cruise 18+ months ahead, it gives me so much enjoyment thinking about some aspect of the trip all along the way!  It is starting to feel a bit more "normal" as well, since the last several years have curbed all of the enjoyment we can now feel again.

Thank you to everyone who has added to the enjoyment!

Thank you.... I enjoy starting threads like this since also helps others but adds to the excitement to the countdown to Embarkation Day.

We too had cancellation cruises twice and finally feel 3 months and 1 week away to what we use to prepare for..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Host Hattie said:

It's been very useful as lots of us are preparing to cruise again after a longer than usual break.

My thanks as well for starting the discussion.

Hattie,

Thank you for Monitoring the Cunard Board....

• Like 3

Not quite on topic but linked. I cam back from QM2 at the end of May. I am on QV at the begining of August. Is it too early to leave things on the clothes rails? Doesn't seem worth putting my shirts away only to get them out again in a few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Lanky Lad said:

Is it too early to leave things on the clothes rails?

Nope. Going from cruise to cruise is easiest if you just wash those items that need laundering, then keep everything together so it's easily re-packed. If you weren't missing anything in May then you'll have everything you need for August. Or, create a detailed inventory so you can easily recreate what you had in May.

Edited by frankp01
  • Thanks 1

Make sure you take with you any medicine that relates to colds flues headaches etc because if you buy any such medication from the general store on board, they rat you out to the authorities and you will have to take a Covid test and be followed around for days to make sure you are safe to be around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lakesregion said:

Make sure you take with you any medicine that relates to colds flues headaches etc because if you buy any such medication from the general store on board, they rat you out to the authorities and you will have to take a Covid test and be followed around for days to make sure you are safe to be around.

Good - though why you'd have to be prompted to take a test is beyond me 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Nobody followed me around or suggested I took a test on QE in April, after I attempted to buy paracetamol for my husband's back. Bizarrely they didn't have any, but that's a different story.

I refreshed the always packed  'medical pack' the other week thanks to this thread. Cough stuff was out of date and I stuffed in some more paracetamol. Good move on my part!

3 hours ago, techteach said:

@Victoria2 Love it! We took a mid-week escape last week and I had to replace the batteries in my make-up mirror!

Good reminder. I'll look at my travel torch and see if it needs new batteries as it hasn't been used since late '19!

• 3 weeks later...

We are sailing in Friday, and I have just come upon a new factor that affects the 'when do you start packing' question. I don't dare start until we have done, and, we hope, passed, our Covid tests on Thursday afternoon. It just seems too much like tempting fate. I don't know what I would do if we had to drive down the day before. 😀

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

We are sailing in Friday, and I have just come upon a new factor that affects the 'when do you start packing' question. I don't dare start until we have done, and, we hope, passed, our Covid tests on Thursday afternoon. It just seems too much like tempting fate. I don't know what I would do if we had to drive down the day before. 😀

Well we are totally tempting fate because we fly out of NZ  in 2 days - 10 days before we hopefully get on the ship in SF - if we test positive I guess we'll need a new plan to get to Barcelona. 

We are basically packed except I'd totally forgotten about makeup and then decided its all probably at least 2 years old and probably much older so I bought some new stuff - well new foundation, and lip gloss anyways.  And we still don't know whether he will have to drag a cpap along or not - that's tomorrow's appointment. But we don't leave until the evening of the day after so all good! 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, lissie said:

Well we are totally tempting fate because we fly out of NZ  in 2 days - 10 days before we hopefully get on the ship in SF - if we test positive I guess we'll need a new plan to get to Barcelona. 

We are basically packed except I'd totally forgotten about makeup and then decided its all probably at least 2 years old and probably much older so I bought some new stuff - well new foundation, and lip gloss anyways.  And we still don't know whether he will have to drag a cpap along or not - that's tomorrow's appointment. But we don't leave until the evening of the day after so all good! 

Make-up? Never heard of it. 😀

You must be getting hugely excited.

• Like 2

@lissie Good for you for throwing away your make-up! I got rid of all of mine and bought a tinted sunscreen and that is all I wear now, and only to church or special occasions. I’m feeling good with my own skin. I subscribe to Eater San Fran. and have thought of you. Have you decided to do wine tasting? If so, where? I hope your trip is trouble-free.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, techteach said:

@exlondoner Go On Now - pack that bag with confidence. I went to the BA website yesterday to check the size limits for luggage. Our final payment is due in one month. Have a great trip. I’m looking forward to your posts.

No, the thought of spending Thursday evening unpacking is far too depressing. Having said that, I should much rather, if I did have Covid (note counterfactual conditional), that it were picked up before we boarded, than a few days into the voyage.

36 minutes ago, techteach said:

@exlondoner - I agree with find out before you leave home rather than mid-cruise. Here in Washington State the B5 variant has gathered momentum. Keep that mask firmly in place.

I certainly shall, but I sometimes get the impression that people forget that the primary benefit of the masks is that they protect others if you happen to be infected. They protect the wearer less, though still some. Anyway, I intend to spend a lot of time outside in the Mediterranean weather.

Edited by exlondoner
Omission
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I certainly shall, but I sometimes get the impression that the primary benefit of the masks is that they protect others if you happen to be infected. They protect the wearer less, though still some. Anyway, I intend to spend a lot of time outside in the Mediterranean weather.

Menbers of the mask wearers fraternity here too.

Lissie and exlondoner, fair sailing and travelling, 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, techteach said:

@exlondoner - I agree with find out before you leave home rather than mid-cruise. Here in Washington State the B5 variant has gathered momentum. Keep that mask firmly in place.

NYC the same up tick........Heavy suggest to Mask and don't worry about being uncomfortable with it on. Had friend that did not get it since March 2020 and recent got it dropping his alert. Never felt so bad with this lowest strain. So MASK UP!

No doubt when we cruise in September. Going and Coming Back CLEAN!

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 2

Semi-related, how formal are the formal evenings?  I have a green gown for our masquerade one (my absolute favorite, except my wedding gown), but I'm struggling with this black and white thing.  For whatever reason, I can't seem to find an age appropriate (mid-30s) gown at a reasonable price point.  😶

31 minutes ago, winstonsmom21 said:

Semi-related, how formal are the formal evenings?  I have a green gown for our masquerade one (my absolute favorite, except my wedding gown), but I'm struggling with this black and white thing.  For whatever reason, I can't seem to find an age appropriate (mid-30s) gown at a reasonable price point.  😶

The formal evenings are formal, but I wouldn't worry about the themes,  just stick to the criteria for formal wear.

• Like 2