MDR flexibility with 3 ports during dinner hours

We are on Quantum to Alaska June 27. We have 3 ports that have times that are right in the middle of the dinner seating times in the MDR. Does RC offer any flexibility on the times? Can we still eat either earlier or later on these days?

Many people eat dinner in outside restaurants....think about it as a specialty restaurant experience, and Alaska has many good places to eat dinner.   As far as I remember, the Radiance dinner times stayed the same, but the WJ is always available or maybe Izumi at any time.  

• Like 1

If you are scheduled for traditional dining (early) you could ask the Head Waiter or Host if you can change to a late seating at 8 pm.     The MDR tends to be less busy when at ports in the evening so they may be able to accommodate your request   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If you are scheduled for traditional dining (early) you could ask the Head Waiter or Host if you can change to a late seating at 8 pm.     The MDR tends to be less busy when at ports in the evening so they may be able to accommodate your request   

That sounds great if they will accommodate.  We enjoy our food in the main dining room and never care to do specialty restaurants or eat in port unless we have to. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Reds4life said:

We are on Quantum to Alaska June 27. We have 3 ports that have times that are right in the middle of the dinner seating times in the MDR. Does RC offer any flexibility on the times? Can we still eat either earlier or later on these days?

The dining times remained the same when we were on Quantum a few weeks ago.  I would not expect them to be very flexible with the times as the ship is sailing at full capacity.  I would look into switching to my time dining as that will give you the flexibility you are looking for.  Very doubtful they will let you switch back and forth between main and late seating each night.  Victoria is going to be an issue, no matter what dining you have.  If you have an excursion, you might need to eat off ship or have a snack late afternoon as the WJ and MDR won't be open when you get to Victoria anyway at 4pm. Cafe Two70 and Sorrentos will be open though.  We ate at Tracey's Crab Shack in Juneau, so that wasn't an issue for us.  We were already back on the ship in Icy Strait Point, so dinner wasn't an issue there.  Unless you are at a later excursion, there isn't too much at Icy Strait Point that would keep you off the ship too late.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Reds4life said:

We were on the Quantum last week and it was sailing at capacity. Dining rooms were full. You could try the MTD line and see if they will seat you. This is kinda where you would pick early/late/MTD based on the itinerary and your plans. Otherwise, those become Windjammer nights. 

• Like 1

What is My Time Dining? Does that cost extra? Our Victoria port time is definitely a negative feature of this cruise. We also definitely again do not want to eat off the ship if possible and never want to wait in line. Otherwise,  we want a guaranteed time to be seated. I think we only had 5:15 and 8 given as options, so we chose 5:15. Ideally we wouldn't be back too late on Juneau, maybe 7:15 or so. Icy Strait Point probably be ok at 5:15 even but prefer a little later. Victoria I guess 8pm? That port time is so awful that we almost didn't book the cruise. 

Edited by Reds4life

5 hours ago, Reds4life said:

What is My Time Dining? Does that cost extra?

No extra cost - it’s a flexible time dining option in the MDR - you can book for anytime available or just show up whenever (this is subject to a wait). 

8 hours ago, Reds4life said:

What is My Time Dining? Does that cost extra? Our Victoria port time is definitely a negative feature of this cruise. We also definitely again do not want to eat off the ship if possible and never want to wait in line. Otherwise,  we want a guaranteed time to be seated. I think we only had 5:15 and 8 given as options, so we chose 5:15. Ideally we wouldn't be back too late on Juneau, maybe 7:15 or so. Icy Strait Point probably be ok at 5:15 even but prefer a little later. Victoria I guess 8pm? That port time is so awful that we almost didn't book the cruise. 

The traditional seating times are 5:15 and 8, main seating and late seating, and there is not the flexibility to come two hours late for traditional dining.

My Time Dining was from 6:45 to 9 on my sailing of Quantum.  It is in the main dining room on deck 4 and allows you to book a time each night or just show up when you want.  There can be a line to get in at times.  It is the same food as is served in the traditional dining times.

If you want MDR and want to choose different times, you are going to have see if you can change to my time dining.

Edited by reallyitsmema
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Reds4life said:

So what would be the best strategy to not have to wait with MTD? My mom is 81 and prefers to eat before 8 and does not like to wait or walk around at the buffet if not necessary 

If you can get switched to MTD, try to make reservations for the times you want.  If you can't get switched before you sail, go to the MDR once you board and see what you can do.  With over 4,000 passengers on the ship, there is likely to be a line, whether you have reservations or not.  There is a dedicated line for reservations and one for no reservations.