Polar Ice Cap Cruising Spitsbergen vs. North Cape

Herkimer18

My husband and I are trying to decide between two cruises.  One goes to the Polar Ice Cap, Ny-Alesund, Spitsbergen and Longyearbyen.  The other is a traditional North Cape Cruise with stops at Hammerfest and Honningsvag.  We had originally planned to do the North Cape, but the Spitsbergen cruise fits our time schedule a little better.  We could make either work with a littel effort.  Anyone been to both areas and able to do a comparison for us.  We would appreciate it so much.  

• Thanks 1

We did both at the same time on one small Princess ship.  I'd go to Spitsburgen, etc. Both cruises would be wonderful and unusual, but I'd go for the most unusual--Longyearbyen, etc.  Honnigsvag was fun because you can take a shore ex. to the northernmost spot on the European continent.

• Like 3

Have not been to Spitsburgen, but have been at the North Cape at Midnight on a ship and have visited Honningsvag and Hammerfest on that cruise.  Part of a memorable cruise and ports that I had dreamed of visiting.  

Norway is in the process of enacting new environmental requirements for cruise ships. Spitsbergen is to be affected. I believe ships only below a certain tonnage, and fuel such as LNG are to be allowed. No bunker oil.

This is because of the Viking Sky incident a few years ago and the pandemic time-off allowing Norway to reset their priorities regarding cruise ship traffic frequency.

If you've never been to either place, then either one is a grand experience.

The scenic cruising at North Cape usually comes after the fog has lifted, so is breathtaking to see from sea level. Visiting North Cape up top is better if the fog has lifted, but it hadn't the time I went out there. The visitor's center has a lot of interest, though. 
There's a lot to see in Honningsvag besides going out to North Cape, so it offers a great deal. 

But to go to Spitzbergen, and walk around in Longyearbyen, is exotic and unforgettable. Then, to have your ship head out going north, to seek out the Polar Ice Cap is exciting. I would love to do it again. 
The front of the ship was actually in the ice! I still get a thrill just thinking about it. 
And you don't know how many more years there will be an ice cap within reach on these exotic cruises. Take this routing while you have the chance. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

While either would be a great experience, I would choose the one with Longyearben, Ny Alesund due to the isolation of them, particularly Ny Alesund. I've been to Honnisvag also, and found it interesting and a cute town, but nothing as different and the other, however we did run onto a couple of reindeer when strolling through town. The North Cape can potentially be very windy and dreary. It was when we were there and probably would have enjoyed it more on a better day. 

That said, I've been to Longyearben twice and Ny Alesund three times, Honnisvag three times.

• Like 2

I am sailing on the Island Princess.  Flying to London tomorrow.  We were suppposed to do the coast of Norway, North Cape and Svalbard.  We were notified on May 26 that we would not be going to Svalbard because of the following:

Please be advised that since publishing our itinerary, the rules for carrying heavy fuel oil onboard a cruise ship while operating within Spitsbergen territorial waters have changed. These rules are more stringent than anticipated, making the call to Spitsbergen untenable. As a result, we must regretfully cancel our call to Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen), Norway on Tuesday, June 21, 2022.

In order to provide you with the best possible cruise holiday, we are delighted to add calls to Alta, Norway on Monday, June 20 from 12:00 noon to 10:00 PM and Lofoten Islands (Gravdal), Norway on Wednesday, June 22 from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

Princess and HAL still list Svalbard on the itineraries ...at least the last time I checked.  So just because it is on the itinerary doesn't mean you will go.  I am so disappointed. [I was originally booked on the Volendam to go there and that was cancelled to house refugees.] 

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I am sailing on the Island Princess.  Flying to London tomorrow.  We were suppposed to do the coast of Norway, North Cape and Svalbard.  We were notified on May 26 that we would not be going to Svalbard because of the following:

Please be advised that since publishing our itinerary, the rules for carrying heavy fuel oil onboard a cruise ship while operating within Spitsbergen territorial waters have changed. These rules are more stringent than anticipated, making the call to Spitsbergen untenable. As a result, we must regretfully cancel our call to Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen), Norway on Tuesday, June 21, 2022.

In order to provide you with the best possible cruise holiday, we are delighted to add calls to Alta, Norway on Monday, June 20 from 12:00 noon to 10:00 PM and Lofoten Islands (Gravdal), Norway on Wednesday, June 22 from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM.

Princess and HAL still list Svalbard on the itineraries ...at least the last time I checked.  So just because it is on the itinerary doesn't mean you will go.  I am so disappointed. [I was originally booked on the Volendam to go there and that was cancelled to house refugees.] 

The Volendam would not be doing that cruise either. It is still too large and fueled by bunker oil to meet the new criteria.

HAL, MSC, and other cruise lines are still advertising those cruises even though they will not likely happen. Very similar to this year's cruises from Venice actually leaving from Ravenna and Trieste.

• Thanks 2

Norway is still in the process of discussing future cruise ship bans.  Some of the proposals would ban any cruise ship from their Fjords and also impose very tough restrictions for any ship going above the Arctic Circle.  It is possible that in the near future we may only see so-called Expedition ships allowed above 60 degrees.  There is already an Antarctic ban on ships which do not meet the Polar 6 standards.  I do not think any large cruise ship meets Polar 6 which requires, among other things, a double hull.  

My advice for those who want to experience cruising in the Norwegian Fjords is to do it very soon because the future opportunity might not exist unless you want to pay the big bucks for an Expedition ship.  

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

We have done the North Cape cruise but would love to go to Spitzbergen.

Disappointing about @Red Haired Lady's itinerary change, although Lofoten Islands seem interesting.

Definitely would need confirmation of access to Spitzbergen before booking.

Lofoten Islands are beautiful, and perhaps a bit smelly due to the cod drying on racks! 😄

Cod Drying Racks (5).JPG

Touring Lofoten Islands (7).JPG

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Red Haired Lady said:

I am so disappointed. [I was originally booked on the Volendam to go there and that was cancelled to house refugees.] 

We're in a similar boat as you. We were also cancelled from the June 2022 Volendam North Cape/Spitsbergen/Iceland cruise. As a replacement, we booked a Viking Ocean cruise from London to North Cape and the Baltic to see this region. We've been loyal with HAL, but with this Volendam cancellation we took the opportunity to try Viking, and it may become a trend for us.

We'd also booked a HAL Spitsbergen/Iceland cruise in May/June 2023. Based on the above posts, I feel that we'll be very disappointed again if Spitsbergen is removed from the itinerary. That would trigger our cancellation because Spitsbergen would be the main purpose for our taking the cruise.

So sad that Princess had to wait until after your final payment/cancellation date to inform you of this major itinerary change. Hardly seems fair...

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

My advice for those who want to experience cruising in the Norwegian Fjords is to do it very soon because the future opportunity might not exist unless you want to pay the big bucks for an Expedition ship.  

I understand the environmental reasons for the restrictions.  But, given the amount of $$$$$ required to do so now and probably in the future on an expedition ship, this is going to further restrict the ability of the cruise lines to attract clients.  During a time when they need revenue, we are again seeing a possible clash between the environment and the economy.  And, at a time, when many people are more concerned about their pocket book than the welfare of Pamela Polar Bear or Paul Penguin.  

The world is in a mess on so many levels!  And, I am ashamed that my generation has contributed to it.  

11 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I understand the environmental reasons for the restrictions.  But, given the amount of $$$$$ required to do so now and probably in the future on an expedition ship, this is going to further restrict the ability of the cruise lines to attract clients.  During a time when they need revenue, we are again seeing a possible clash between the environment and the economy.  And, at a time, when many people are more concerned about their pocket book than the welfare of Pamela Polar Bear or Paul Penguin.  

The world is in a mess on so many levels!  And, I am ashamed that my generation has contributed to it.  

Sigh!  Are we leaving the world a better place for our children/grandchildren?  So sad.  

Hank

• Like 1

Thank you for all the information you have provided on comparisons between the stops in Spitsbergen and the North Cape.  Most importantly, thank you for the information I wasn't expecting regarding the probability that stops in Spitsbergen will not be happening for the HAL ships in the future. I am a member of the May 27-July 2, 2023 Zuiderdam roll call  that includes Spitsbergen and have posted your information there.  Now the waiting game begins.  I hope HAL will revise the itinerary as soon as they make changes so that we can make an informed decision about this cruise. Thank you once again for all the help.

• Like 2