Southampton

Wayco

I have noticed a number of people mentioning staying over in Southampton.  We are thinking about an overnight prior to boarding the Riveria. Haven't seen that many places, can anyone make a suggestion for hotels in Southampton?  Much appreciated,

Wayne

We liked the location of the Mercure Dolphin on High St close to shopping & restaurants

we stayed in the houses out back of the hotel I believe the room was Adonia  they are named after the P & O ships

There is  Premier Inn next to the mall

Novatel

Holiday Inn

many others just depends on your budget

We’ve stayed over at the Novotel, quite basic but sufficient for a night.  We actually took the bus from Heathrow (not many sailing Oceania would consider this I think but it worked great) the walk to Novotel was quite doable.  Large shopping center across the road, we walked to a nice pub for a pre sail meet & greet though the name escapes me.

• Like 1

Just as an additional choice, next year we are staying at The Old Vine in Winchester, Hampshire, less than a 20 minute car ride from Southampton terminal. I have always wanted to see Winchester Cathedral and this Inn has great reviews. We will be heading off on the Riviera also. Have a great trip!

Lots of similar discussions on the "Britain" ports of call sub-forum

FWIW, we had a reservation at Carey's Manor in Brockenhurst, in the New Forest, for the cruise we were unable to board earlier in the month, due to a positive Covid test. There was no refund but the hotel has offered credit for a future stay (which we may take them up on if we go for Sirena's cruise out of Portsmouth in September). Carey's is about a 30 minute drive to Southhampton, and about 45 to Portsmouth.

I believe your cruise will be in 2023? This year Riviera will not have any cruises departing from Southampton.

The Southampton port schedule for 2023 is not published yet. It is still unknown which terminal (out of 5 terminals in total) that Riviera will moor at.

If Riviera will be at Ocean Terminal 101 or Horizon Terminal 102, then Holiday Inn is just across the street. You can walk to the Terminals in around 15 minutes.

Here is the view of an oceanview room of Holiday Inn.

image.thumb.jpeg.6f933306ff96e58e15edf07f8591f8e4.jpeg

Edited by Cruise Wonderland
  • Like 1

Southampton port is big. Get a cab from your hotel. Its will be about a fiver or a tenner 🙂

Whilst it is walkable, why start your holiday off hot and bothered or soaking wet from walking with luggage across multiple busy roads? 

• Like 4

September 2019 we booked a quaint B and B for about $100 or pounds a night.  We walked around the main shopping areas, pubs, banks, etc.  I recall the taxi was 40 pounds. It was interesting that we also encountered another CC poster traveling on Riviera with us.  There are options that is for sure. 
Mauibabes

13 hours ago, ToxM said:

Southampton port is big. Get a cab from your hotel. Its will be about a fiver or a tenner 🙂

Whilst it is walkable, why start your holiday off hot and bothered or soaking wet from walking with luggage across multiple busy roads? 

Did the cabs there take credit cards?

On 6/11/2022 at 8:46 AM, escrick said:

A few years ago, I stayed at the Holiday Inn, and it was fine.  For our next cruise, we will stay at the Southampton Harbour Hotel—although more expensive, it looks fabulous.

We just stayed there two nights and it was a perfect way to recover from a 3 week land-only trip that involved staying at several "interesting" hotels.  The only negative was that we had to prepay and were stuck with it when we had to cancel our June 13 cruise on Sirena. However we spent a great day in Portsmouth before driving past Sirena on the way home.

I had an American e-friend on another forum who once asked, quite seriously, how lifelike the murder rate in Midsomer was. He did live in a reasonably high crime urban area in the States, so maybe not so weird a question.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Harters said:

I had an American e-friend on another forum who once asked, quite seriously, how lifelike the murder rate in Midsomer was. He did live in a reasonably high crime urban area in the States, so maybe not so weird a question.

Haha! We had a furore over Jubilee fireworks recently that had the possibility to be made into a very successful episode but generally the murder rate is vv low 🙂

5 hours ago, Harters said:

You should ask that friend the same question about Cabot Cove and if it's died down since Murder She Wrote went off the air.  🙃

Edited by ShopperfiendTO
  • Haha 3

On 6/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, ShopperfiendTO said:

You should ask that friend the same question about Cabot Cove and if it's died down since Murder She Wrote went off the air.  🙃

Oh my...My Dad LOVED that show!! 🙂