Cruilse lines Call for CDC to change covid testing policy

17 hours ago, flhokie said:

Agreed! We're supposed to sail with my elderly mother next month. My father recently passed and we are supposed to go to relax before she has knee replacement surgery. Sadly, if they scrap the testing requirement, I don't think she (or the rest of us) will be comfortable sailing. 

This might not be the time (or ever) for you to cruise then. Many if not most of us are comfortable sailing and being around others (for a long while now) so things need to go back to normal. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

These are not anecdotes, this is the very real way that the very real medical and scientific community is handling this business of asymptomatic Covid positive individuals.

All one has to do is a web search on "asymptomatic covid contagion"...  obviously you haven't.

Is there a FAQ or a master thread for COVID-related discussion? We are on Allure June 25th and our family of 4 (43/39/7 fully VAC and 4 w/o VAC) have had COVID within last 6 weeks but we still need to show negative test. It's unclear EXACTLY what's needed prior to sale (Self-test at CVS OK?) and RCCL customer support has always been sketchy with facts.

12 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

All one has to do is a web search on "asymptomatic covid contagion"...  obviously you haven't.

OK OK  you are right, your google search is much better information than my day in day out experiences with the matter.

I will call all the largest healthcare centers in the South Central United States and let them know they are doing it wrong.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Slidell_Cruiser said:

The cruise Lines are doing all this VOLUNTARILY…

it’s not the big bad CDC…

Viking announced today, no more pre boarding Covid testing…

Stay Safe all

Viking's announcement did not include any US embarkations, the CDC still has a VERY heavy hand on this

Edited by not-enough-cruising

2 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

Is there a FAQ or a master thread for COVID-related discussion? We are on Allure June 25th and our family of 4 (43/39/7 fully VAC and 4 w/o VAC) have had COVID within last 6 weeks but we still need to show negative test. It's unclear EXACTLY what's needed prior to sale (Self-test at CVS OK?) and RCCL customer support has always been sketchy with facts.

All you need is a negative test, just like anyone else.

If you are still testing positive, there is a "Letter of Recovery" pathway you can take which will require a copy of your initial PCR positive test, and a letter from your healthcare provider stating that you are no longer a health threat.

5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

All you need is a negative test, just like anyone else.

If you are still testing positive, there is a "Letter of Recovery" pathway you can take which will require a copy of your initial PCR positive test, and a letter from your healthcare provider stating that you are no longer a health threat.

What defines a "negative test"? No home test I assume. It CAN be rapid done self-performed and then sent out to a lab like a main pharmacy such as CVS/Walgreens?

19 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

Go to the FAQ page on the Royal website, search for "recently recovered from COVID-19".

2 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

What defines a "negative test"? No home test I assume. It CAN be rapid done self-performed and then sent out to a lab like a main pharmacy such as CVS/Walgreens?

You can do a home test but it must be monitored by an authorized tele-health visit. Rapid Antigen tests at your local pharmacy are also just fine, nut those are getting harder and harder to come by.

23 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

Royal caribbean has a FAQ section you can use. 

There are specific requirements for unvaccinated children you need to look up. 

for the 3 people that are vaccinated you can use any proctored rapid antigen test (at home via video monitoring) or you can do a rapid Naat test at Walgreens or rapid antigen test at CVS.    See what is available in your area.     Walgreens you can usually schedule your testing 7 days ahead.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

Have you used this for a cruise on Royal?

I've read several posts from people who have used this service.  It's fairly new, and the price has been cut in the last month from $20 to $10.  I believe if you do a site-wide search on OnPoint, you'll find them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ravenjls said:

I wonder if they include all the information that is necessary for RCI on the report?

Yes, there was a thread on the subject.  Plus, if they stop requiring COVID tests pre-cruise, then we can self-test, and not us the proctor.

13 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Royal caribbean has a FAQ section you can use. 

There are specific requirements for unvaccinated children you need to look up. 

for the 3 people that are vaccinated you can use any proctored rapid antigen test (at home via video monitoring) or you can do a rapid Naat test at Walgreens or rapid antigen test at CVS.    See what is available in your area.     Walgreens you can usually schedule your testing 7 days ahead.

Thanks. For the 3 VAC'ed, the only real concern is getting an appointment 3 days which shouldn't be a problem but we are at the mercy of getting the results prior to the cruise. I am reading up on the 4 year old now.

4 minutes ago, sagosto63 said:

Thanks. For the 3 VAC'ed, the only real concern is getting an appointment 3 days which shouldn't be a problem but we are at the mercy of getting the results prior to the cruise. I am reading up on the 4 year old now.

2 days prior to boarding for the vaccinated, not 3

46 minutes ago, pcur said:

Yes, there was a thread on the subject.  Plus, if they stop requiring COVID tests pre-cruise, then we can self-test, and not us the proctor.

If they stop requiring tests, why in the world would somebody take one unless they were symptomatic? 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Viking's announcement did not include any US embarkations, the CDC still has a VERY heavy hand on this

The same CDC who just agreed to drop testing for airline travel?...   

As with most things the government says and does, wait a week and perhaps it will change.

• Like 1