Behind the scenes ship tour

C4HCG

10 minutes ago, C4HCG said:

We are on the equinox at the end of August and seen this advertised, anyone done it and if so, worth doing?

I've done it on Anthem of the Seas and have done parts of it on Celebrity ships, and, imho, it's worth doing (at least once) if you have any interest in how cruise ships operate, and especially if the tour includes the bridge.   (The tour on the Silhouette is now advertised as including the bridge.)  Getting to see the bridge, engine control room, the laundry, walking down I-95, etc.  ... fascinating.  (Some folks would be totally bored by these things; this is not for them.)

• Like 1

We are booked on this tour on the Constellation in November.  I've done bridge tours before and even galley tours but I've never been able to see the engine control room, laundry, or some of the other areas this tour is supposed to visit and I am quite excited.   

• Like 1

We just got off the Equinox, I was tempted to do it but feel like the price ($99) is a bit steep considering it doesn't cost Celebrity much to give people a tour of their ship. 

1 minute ago, MBP1 said:

We just got off the Equinox, I was tempted to do it but feel like the price ($99) is a bit steep considering it doesn't cost Celebrity much to give people a tour of their ship. 

Good point, never thought of that.

We did it on Equinox December 2021 and it was great!  We each had a little bluetooth so we could always here what the guide was saying. Also, they gave us souvenir lanyards and a little knot tying instruction card.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MBP1 said:

It does seem steep, but it is priced by supply and demand.  We booked our upcoming Med cruise at about 90 days out, and the single behind the scenes tour they offered was already sold out.  Evidently a lot of people are willing to pay it.

This is something we are interested in as we have only done a smaller free one on Princess before BUT I haven't booked yet for this cruise because I am imaging everyone squished into ship passage ways and crammed into the galley all trying to hear the guide.  I am thinking maybe our sea day on day #8 so if we get Covid we are disembarking the next day.  😂 

Also I would much prefer $99 for both us rather than each!

The tour tends to vary by ship and excursion.  We had the tour which included all areas mentioned above and they included a lunch with wines with 2 staff members in Tuscan Grill.  This tour did sell out quickly and we signed up early in the cruise.  Worth doing once.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MBP1 said:

feel like the price ($99) is a bit steep considering it doesn't cost Celebrity much to give people a tour of their ship.

Basic supply and demand economics. They can charge it because people will pay it. Also they likely choose times and frequency which are not major disruptions to operating departments. It’s probably annoying for a department head  to prepare an area for a tour. 

It was excellent on EDGE..small group,   headphones, great guide,  access to  many places with presentations including bridge, engineeing,  crew areas, theater, recycling, kitchen, laundry.. 

Lots of walking,   includes stairs but arrangements made for elevator as well.

Very worthwhile even if pricey!

Hi, 

I did the behind-the-scenes tour on the Celebrity Apex in late April and thought that it was very interesting. I also booked the art tour prior to my cruise, but it unfortunately was canceled for my cruise. However, I was able to get a copy of the souvenir book of the ship's art.

I did it on Apex in March (first one ever on Apex)  Glad I did it, will not do it again on any ship.  The best part was going into the bridge.  I was hoping to see the engines, but we just went into the control room which is just a bunch of monitors. 

Have done it, but not on Edge-class ships.  It's really fun; I'd recommend doing it at least once.  Weirdly, the thing that fascinated me the most was the laundry operation. Perhaps dumb, but I never considered HOW MUCH laundry a ship will do on just one sailing! It was also fun seeing the bridge and the wing station with the windowpane in the floor.