Did anyone on the cruise ship ask for your 2nd ArriveCan?

worldtraveller99

Please may I ask to any of you who have recently had your Alaska cruise from Vancouver - especially anyone who went one-way to Anchorage:

Did anyone at the cruise ship actually ask to see your 2nd ArriveCan? Would a printed certificate of a negative COVID test (until those are finally done away with too!) be acceptable - and did anyone want to see that too? Plus a printed NHS COVID Vaccination Certificate? 

I am vehemently against teeny weeny mobile apps, due to poor eyesight, and it will be an effort to have to find somewhere with a computer in Vancouver to do this - let alone somewhere with a printer to print the 2nd ArriveCan out, whereas the above I can do from my large computer at home before we even get to Vancouver. 

I hate doing things which no-one then bothers with, it seems such a waste of time. And I used to be a project manager - if no-one will read a report, don't write it!

57 minutes ago, worldtraveller99 said:

PS We did book this holiday 4 years ago, for 2020, and there was no mention then of online apps. Normally I avoid countries with unnecessary bureaucracy.

Four years ago Covid wasn't in the world!  A lot has changed since then, particularly in the travel world.  If you don't want to deal with 'unnecessary bureaucracy" then I suggest you stay home in London.

7 hours ago, cruiseryyc said:

Four years ago Covid wasn't in the world!  A lot has changed since then, particularly in the travel world.  If you don't want to deal with 'unnecessary bureaucracy" then I suggest you stay home in London.

I think that's a little harsh.  I'm Canadian and have used the ArriveCan app many times but I completely understand the frustration and confusion surrounding having to submit multiple trips like this.  Heck, as familiar as I am with the app I am still stumped on how to complete the Northbound cruise to Alaska when there is no marine entry into Canada.   I'm flying back from Alaska a week after our cruise and am fine with how to submit that trip three days before arrival home but honestly don't understand how to fill out the cruise departure trip.  

• Like 1

Thank you very much katrina915, Tiggerontheseas and especially Gramma of Boys. That is exactly what I thought - if it's a LeaveCam, I guess I will put the ship name as our residence, for the 3 hours it is in port before it leaves for Alaska. But what if they want an address? I guess I put Canada Place. It seems so silly and I am very glad that it is odds on that no-one will ask to see it.

I am very happy to show our vaccination certificates, and if they still insist, our, hopefully, negative test results.

On 6/15/2022 at 4:42 PM, Gramma of Boys said:

We just returned from a Whittier, AK to Vancouver, BC cruise.  We went into Canada for a tour out of Skagway.  We were not asked for our ArriveCAN documentation at any point.

I was wondering when did you put it in?  They are asking 72 hours before.  We are Seward, AK to Vancouver in August.  I would need to do it while in port.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

On 6/16/2022 at 1:45 AM, Tiggerontheseas said:

I think that's a little harsh.  I'm Canadian and have used the ArriveCan app many times but I completely understand the frustration and confusion surrounding having to submit multiple trips like this.  Heck, as familiar as I am with the app I am still stumped on how to complete the Northbound cruise to Alaska when there is no marine entry into Canada.   I'm flying back from Alaska a week after our cruise and am fine with how to submit that trip three days before arrival home but honestly don't understand how to fill out the cruise departure trip.  

Hi, I am a little confused with the ArriveCan ruling as well. If our cruise terminates in Vancouver and we are staying extra days in Vancouver do we have to do complete ArriveCan docs or not?

10 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I was wondering when did you put it in?  They are asking 72 hours before.  We are Seward, AK to Vancouver in August.  I would need to do it while in port.

We put in our info a couple of days before we sailed.  But then once we boarded we found out that we didn't enter some things quite right, so we did it over.

Gramma of Boys please may I ask what had you put in wrong? Because we are leaving Vancouver (for ever) I am sorely tempted to put the ship name and Pacific Ocean as the address? I am interested karatemom2 that you had to show it to your room steward, so I guess they are still taking it seriously.

Went out of Vancouver in April. Was very confused when filling out the ArriveCan since I was flying in and leaving on a ship the same day. I called. They told me to put in the address of the cruise port and the name of the ship. We did need to redo the ArriveCan info when coming back into Vancouver - the ship sent out forms that we had to return when we were finished filling out the app so that they knew who had completed it. On the sheet it told us what to put where and they were able to help at the front desk for those that needed it.

1 hour ago, worldtraveller99 said:

Gramma of Boys please may I ask what had you put in wrong?

I can't remember exactly, but it had something to do with the address section.  We received really good instructions on how to do everything after we had already done it.  I may still have that paperwork.  If I do I can pass it along later.

Just read that the Mayor of Niagara Falls (Canada) is campaigning for ArriveCan to stop, because people like to pop over the border for the day, then find they don't have a smartphone to download the App and can't get back home!

Thank you vswan, we will put the address of Canada Place cruise port.

8 hours ago, gilliansp said:

Hi, I am a little confused with the ArriveCan ruling as well. If our cruise terminates in Vancouver and we are staying extra days in Vancouver do we have to do complete ArriveCan docs or not?

Hi!  Yes, if your cruise terminates in Vancouver you would need to complete the ArriveCan app within 72 hours of boarding the ship.  This will satisfy the entry into Canada requirement.  🙂