Honeymooners—average age on cruise

jakeHOU97

Just now, janetcbl said:

Swiss trains are the best!…and the scenery isn’t bad, either. (Bit of humor). Enjoy!

That's what we're looking at; it'd still mean some packing and unpacking, but again, the only way to see some inland sites is to travel either by bus, train, or car--and train travel is really nice.

I wish there were more Viking river cruises to choose from, but the rivers just don't work for them in lots of these countries. We've done the Grand European and are doing it again in a year; it's a great way to see Germany and we liked it so much that we're going to do it again in the opposite direction.

But to see the Mediterranean, I think an ocean cruise is the way to go; we had a great time on our recent trip, and I could see a cruise from Rome to Barcelona as another great route. 

16 hours ago, jakeHOU97 said:

This is great insight, thanks! Agreed with many of the things as I noticed them on the land trip to Europe I’ve been on before, just haven’t taken a non-Caribbean cruise to compare it with.

We’re looking at the 7 (or 8?) day from Rome to Barcelona. We’d get to see the Italian Riviera, southern coast of France and Spain, which we wouldn’t if we did one of the land trips we’re looking at. However this cruise obviously wouldn’t take us to Paris or London like the land trip would.

Well, one option might be to fly to Paris, spend a few days there, then make your way (train, plane) to Barcelona for the cruise. Personally, I'd probably opt for a train down to Barcelona; there's probably a high-speed TGV to there, and it would be a really nice trip. You could even choose a town to stop in, and break the trip into two days with a siteseeing day in the middle; the Loire valley is beautiful and there are some great places to visit.

On 2 of our last 3 Viking cruises, we've done self-guided pre-extensions, and both turned out great; we flew to Rome 5 days early, had private guide for each of 4 days, then boarded the Viking ship in Rome. We have a British Isles Explorer cruise coming up, and I've been looking at doing the same thing in London before that cruise.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Age is a mindset.  Baseball great Satchel Paige, when asked his age, responded, "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

A great question! What happens when your mind thinks you're one age, but your body has a different opinion? 😉

Edited by lackcreativity
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

A great question! What happens when your mind thinks you're one age, but your body has a different opinion? 😉

My mom used to say all the time that she didn't see herself as being as old as she was; I feel the same way--I don't see myself as old as I actually am, and then I keep finding white paint in my hair! What's with that?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, jakeHOU97 said:

We’re looking at the 7 (or 8?) day from Rome to Barcelona. We’d get to see the Italian Riviera, southern coast of France and Spain, which we wouldn’t if we did one of the land trips we’re looking at. However this cruise obviously wouldn’t take us to Paris or London like the land trip would.

As has already been stressed, only you can decide if Viking sounds like a good fit for you now, or rather for a cruise to celebrate your 25th anniversary! If you do decide on the cruise mentioned above, you might consider adding on an extension at the beginning or end (or both), since both Barcelona and Rome deserve much more than a day. The Viking extensions make things very convenient, but you could probably do either one for less money on your own.

Also, if you do that cruise, I highly recommend the Nice, Eze, and Monte Carlo all day excursion. It is a whirlwind day, with not enough time anywhere, but I still dream of the view from the Exotic Garden at the top of  Eze. 

What ever you choose, wishing you all the best.

Exotic Garden Eze.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lackcreativity said:

As has already been stressed, only you can decide if Viking sounds like a good fit for you now, or rather for a cruise to celebrate your 25th anniversary! If you do decide on the cruise mentioned above, you might consider adding on an extension at the beginning or end (or both), since both Barcelona and Rome deserve much more than a day. The Viking extensions make things very convenient, but you could probably do either one for less money on your own.

Also, if you do that cruise, I highly recommend the Nice, Eze, and Monte Carlo all day excursion. It is a whirlwind day, with not enough time anywhere, but I still dream of the view from the Exotic Garden at the top of  Eze. 

What ever you choose, wishing you all the best.

Exotic Garden Eze.jpg

If you do decide for a pre-extension in Rome, I have the name of a wonderful guide there named Marisa; she only does walking tours, so it's a full day of walking for sure. We hired her for 2 days, and ended up doing about 8 miles per day--but she showed us so much. She's an archaeologist turned tour guide, had worked on excavations in the Roman Forum, so her wealth of knowledge was impressive. 

When we looked at a pre-extension provided by Viking, we found that doing our own was both cheaper and better, and hiring a car for the drive to the port of Civitavecchia was easy and comfortable.

I am surprised at the legs this thread has and am very happy to have something besides covid to go on about.  After reading all the posts I am reminded of Clark Griswold in National Lampoon's European Vacation where Clark is in a restaurant and chats up a newlywed couple..  "have you see the Louvre?"  Answer: "No".  "Have you seen the Eiffel Tower?"  "Nope>"  Have you seen Notre Dame?"  "No"......  You get the drift.🍸

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, longterm said:

Are you referring to my post? 

My wife and I are big Viking fans and have 2 more scheduled for the near future. Does being a Viking fan mean that we can't choose to try other travel options?

In fact, we're now looking at a possible self-guided train trip from Zurich to Rome; we've decided that we would prefer trains to buses for an inland tour.

The original poster asked about inland versus an ocean cruise, so I addressed that question; I didn't give RSE any sort of plug--in fact, I was deliberately ambivalent about whether we would do another RS tour, and if anything, wasn't complimentary. 

If you think I'm a troll, go back and read my previous posts before you make such a statement.

Not at all!
It refers to the original post. I was considering the odds of a couple in their 20’s actually wanting to spend their honeymoon with 60 and 70 year olds.

You of course are free to disagree.

I think it’s interesting that the thread started out with “No way! Bad idea,”etc. It then morphed into “ People will be nice to you and they can impart their wisdom and experience”, etc.

That still doesn’t tip the argument for me for very young folks spending their honeymoon with very old folks.

YMMV.

• Like 1

60 something here—love Viking cruises, especially with sea days. But I started traveling in Europe in my early 20s and only used a guide once on a one week bus tour in Greece when I was on my own. Rest of the time, I saw the cities, landmarks, and museums on my own. Back then, usually used Let’s Go—the student travel guidebook. 

Even now, we only split our time about half and half with cruises and land tours on our own—almost always renting a car.

My advice for the “youngsters” is to book a one week Viking cruise, with extensions on your own front and back. Or, forget about the cruise, and rent a car for two weeks exploring the countryside of France—you can use Rick Steves’ guides for a few ideas.

While we’ve seen a few young folk on our VO cruises, I don’t think it’s really the place for young honeymooners, unless you’re very introverted and like the lectures. I don’t have other cruise lines to compare to, since before Viking, the only other cruise we took was Princess in the Caribbean in 1993. 

For what I consider real travel, a land based tour on your own is ideal, cruising is to be pampered and get to ports you wouldn’t normally get to as a destination (Iceland, Greenland, Faroes, Falklands, Cape Horn, etc.). Mileage by others may vary.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, LindaS272 said:

60 something here—love Viking cruises, especially with sea days. But I started traveling in Europe in my early 20s and only used a guide once on a one week bus tour in Greece when I was on my own. Rest of the time, I saw the cities, landmarks, and museums on my own. Back then, usually used Let’s Go—the student travel guidebook. 

Even now, we only split our time about half and half with cruises and land tours on our own—almost always renting a car.

My advice for the “youngsters” is to book a one week Viking cruise, with extensions on your own front and back. Or, forget about the cruise, and rent a car for two weeks exploring the countryside of France—you can use Rick Steves’ guides for a few ideas.

While we’ve seen a few young folk on our VO cruises, I don’t think it’s really the place for young honeymooners, unless you’re very introverted and like the lectures. I don’t have other cruise lines to compare to, since before Viking, the only other cruise we took was Princess in the Caribbean in 1993. 

For what I consider real travel, a land based tour on your own is ideal, cruising is to be pampered and get to ports you wouldn’t normally get to as a destination (Iceland, Greenland, Faroes, Falklands, Cape Horn, etc.). Mileage by others may vary.

I’ll second this. Of course it depends on what you both enjoy, but there’s a lot to be said for traveling on your own during a honeymoon. For one thing, your time is your own, no need to watch the clock and get to the Next Scheduled Thing. Cruises (or organized land tours) can feel more structured — especially if you sign up for excursions. No sleeping in if you have to make it to your bus by 8 a.m!

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

I’ll second this. Of course it depends on what you both enjoy, but there’s a lot to be said for traveling on your own during a honeymoon. For one thing, your time is your own, no need to watch the clock and get to the Next Scheduled Thing. Cruises (or organized land tours) can feel more structured — especially if you sign up for excursions. No sleeping in if you have to make it to your bus by 8 a.m!

“Sleeping in” - interesting euphemism for honeymoon activities!
😉😁😎🥰

I still don't get how many (if not most) of the posters here believe the age factor is the major argument against Viking for a young couple. I did a Canada trip on our own in the 1970s BC (Before Children) which included long train rides which was the only "socialization" we really had (conversing with fellow train riders). We made friends with an older gentleman who invited us to a BBQ at his house in Touro. Maybe others our age then would have preferred meeting people our own age, but we thought it was a fascinating way to learn about Nova Scotia. 

Well, even I think the Viking demographic is a bit on the “elderly” side, and I’m cruising to 70 in a few years.👵 I joked with the 23-yr-old Viking singer on our TA in March and asked if he knew what he was getting into when he signed up for a cruise line with an “assisted-living” demographic. He was very diplomatic and we had a good laugh.🙈🙀👨‍🦳👵👴

• Haha 2

I suspect the Viking demographic shifts a bit depending on the destinations, amount of walking, weather, etc. Longer trips will draw people with more time available, such as retired folks.

The flip side of NO KIDS etc is you are less likely to get younger parents.

6 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

I suspect the Viking demographic shifts a bit depending on the destinations, amount of walking, weather, etc. Longer trips will draw people with more time available, such as retired folks.

The flip side of NO KIDS etc is you are less likely to get younger parents.

I agree - and would add younger couples (like my second cousin) consider Viking before they start having children.

8 hours ago, Squawkman said:

We made friends with an older gentleman who invited us to a BBQ at his house in Touro. Maybe others our age then would have preferred meeting people our own age, but we thought it was a fascinating way to learn about Nova Scotia. 

That would be Truro, Nova Scotia. 😊

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, longterm said:

That's what we're looking at; it'd still mean some packing and unpacking, but again, the only way to see some inland sites is to travel either by bus, train, or car--and train travel is really nice.

I wish there were more Viking river cruises to choose from, but the rivers just don't work for them in lots of these countries. We've done the Grand European and are doing it again in a year; it's a great way to see Germany and we liked it so much that we're going to do it again in the opposite direction.

But to see the Mediterranean, I think an ocean cruise is the way to go; we had a great time on our recent trip, and I could see a cruise from Rome to Barcelona as another great route. 

The specific cruise we are looking at is the one you mentioned from Rome to Barcelona, in Feb. 2023. We want to have our honeymoon right after our wedding, which I soon found out limits the options of a Mediterranean cruise as most lines don’t do these itineraries during winter months. This one on the Sky is the only cruise us and our TA have found during this timeframe.

We would definitely want to do an extension since this itinerary is only 7 days long, and we’d like to spend about 10 days in Europe.

She also warned us about the possibility of rough seas on a cruise in the Mediterranean during winter months, but not sure if this would actually be a major issue in late Feb/early March.

1 hour ago, jakeHOU97 said:

The specific cruise we are looking at is the one you mentioned from Rome to Barcelona, in Feb. 2023. We want to have our honeymoon right after our wedding, which I soon found out limits the options of a Mediterranean cruise as most lines don’t do these itineraries during winter months. This one on the Sky is the only cruise us and our TA have found during this timeframe.

We would definitely want to do an extension since this itinerary is only 7 days long, and we’d like to spend about 10 days in Europe.

She also warned us about the possibility of rough seas on a cruise in the Mediterranean during winter months, but not sure if this would actually be a major issue in late Feb/early March.

Hi jake, lots of advice to help you in the decision-making process.  If this is a good itinerary for you, go ahead with it.  Viking is great and I’m sure you and your bride will have a wonderful time!  You’re going into it with eyes wide open and aware that the other passengers will likely be much older than you.  Viking ships are beautiful, the staff is excellent, and the food is very very good.  Both the spa and pool are nice.  It’s pretty much all inclusive.  Nice spa and pool, no extra charge for specialty restaurants, and no photographers roaming around the ship.  It’s a low key option (as to compared to a big party ship) but that might be welcome after all the wedding festivities.  Please let us know what you decide to do.  Congrats!

• Like 7

2 hours ago, jakeHOU97 said:

Both Rome and Barcelona are easy to do on your own if amongst all the wedding planning you have time to do trip planning. If you can swing a couple more days, I would try to do at least two (there would be better) nights in Rome. You’ll spend the morning you arrive getting from the airport to wherever you’re staying and the morning you sail getting from Rome to Civittivechia. So two nights means you really only have one and a half days there.  Better than none at all, but have another day would be better. 

I would also try to spend at least two nights in Barcelona, again more would be better.  

If you’re going to do either city independently, be sure and go online as soon as you know your dates and book admission to the Vatican Museum and to Sagrada Famila. 

Congratulations and don’t hesitate to ask if you need recommendations for either city. 

49 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Both Rome and Barcelona are easy to do on your own if amongst all the wedding planning you have time to do trip planning. If you can swing a couple more days, I would try to do at least two (there would be better) nights in Rome. You’ll spend the morning you arrive getting from the airport to wherever you’re staying and the morning you sail getting from Rome to Civittivechia. So two nights means you really only have one and a half days there.  Better than none at all, but have another day would be better. 

I would also try to spend at least two nights in Barcelona, again more would be better.  

If you’re going to do either city independently, be sure and go online as soon as you know your dates and book admission to the Vatican Museum and to Sagrada Famila. 

Congratulations and don’t hesitate to ask if you need recommendations for either city. 

We've done both Barcelona and Rome on our own and thoroughly enjoyed them.  Quite easy to do and easy to navigate around.  We did the Rome-Barcelona cruise last November - great cruise and wonderful itinerary.   We did 4 nights in Rome and 2 in Barcelona (wish we'd done 3 or 4).  So much to do and food is such a wonderful part of each of these classic cities!

Or you could do Paris, as you had wanted to, and then do the cruise - or vice versa. 

Some more info for your consideration. Happy to elaborate on any of my points, if helpful.   

Paris and London: My husband and I did a Paris (5 days) and London (4 days) trip independently in 2018. (We included Ireland for 10 days, too.) Easy direct flights from the east coast. An easy, two hour Eurostar direct train from Paris to London. We worked with our TA on amazing hotels in Paris and London, some private tours (Louvre, Windsor Castle), some small group tours, and a lot of planned independent touring. We successfully enjoyed a mix of touring, relaxation, wonderful food with the help of our hotel Concierges, and very easy travel. (Note: It was our first trip to Europe.) 

Actual cruising: Two Celebrity cruises. (Caribbean and Alaska) A partial Viking Trans-Atlantic coupled with a cancelled Mediterrean Odyssey (MO) as the COVID shutdown occurred in March of 2020. (Miami to St. Martin to mid-Atlantic until a turnaround and return to the states without ever reaching Europe.) An actual MO cruise in March/April of 2022 with preceding independent travel in Rome, preceding Viking extension in Venice, and post-cruise Viking extension in Barcelona. So, I'll focus on summarizing the 2022 trip.   

Even with all of the masking and vaccine card reviews, our independent travel in Rome was simply amazing. We worked with our TA to find a wonderful hotel, privately guided tour of the Vatican, small group tour of Ancient Rome, and independent touring of the other famous sites and The Borghese Museum. An easy train ride to Venice to join the Viking pre-extension which was a disappointment. (The disappointment surrounded the unexpected change of Viking hotels, the actual Viking hotel, and the on-site Viking hotel representative.)

I can't say enough good things about our wonderful Viking cruise and the great ports that we visited. We filled our port days touring with a mix of included and optional excursions. A bit of independent exploring, too. (Touring bubbles were in the process of being lifted on our cruise.)  

A disappointing post-extension in Barcelona. (The disappointment was the Viking hotel location.) But, a wonderful privately guided tour of Sagrada Familia and Parc Guell arranged through our TA.

Note: Because of the state of flux with country regulations, testing requirements, and in-flux transportation challenges, we were aware that we might be disappointed in the Viking extensions/hotels, but, made the decision to proceed.

While I can't reference the port in Rome, I can comfortably say that the port in Barcelona would be really, really easy to handle independently. The infrastructure, the signage, and the plentiful taxis at the entrance/exit location justify my statement.

Compared to our Paris/London trip, our MO cruise felt like we were constantly on the go without the ability to audible from touring very often. So, from my perspective, a potential difference in the type of trip that I would pursue for a honeymoon. Plus, the bonus of the large cities that you are considering are really easy for independent travel.  

As for passenger demographics, I'm a very active and fortunately retired 60 year old. On my two Viking cruises, I felt very, very young. (On many excursions I had to make a concentrated effort to slow down and not make other attendees with walking challenges uncomfortable even though I wanted to speed things up.) Would I have felt out of place on a Viking ship 34 years ago for my personal honeymoon, absolutely! If I wanted to take a Med cruise for my honeymoon, however, the age factor would not stop me from considering Viking! Nor should it stop you. (Nice food and a fabulous crew are great for any age.)  

My advice: Prioritize the places that you'd like to have as the basis for your honeymoon memories. Identify the "things" you want to see at those places/cities to help make the determination of the appropriate length of stay needed. Use those pieces of data to help make the decision to cruise or to independently take a land tour. (Or, as some others have posted, a group guided land tour.) 

It sounds like you'll have a wonderful honeymoon with whichever direction you take.   

• Like 1

I would add to all the above comments that how soon after your wedding is the trip planned.If immediately afterwards I personally would want time to relax and take stock before jetting off on what will be a great adventure.

I have met honeymooners on Viking Sky doing Viking Homelands but they were second timers in their early 40s so not quite the same .

They had married in Paris days earlier and then flown to Stockholm for the cruise.

They seemed to be having a wonderful time as they were truly destination focused and fitted in seemlessly.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On Midnight Sun, my ex and I were among the youngest (we were in our 40s).  I loved Viking so much that I have just booked a solo winter med cruise to celebrate my 50th.  Age is just number, right?  that works both directions.

• Like 2