ArriveCan for arrival day before cruise

Homosassa

I just spent some time going in circles on the ArriveCan helpline  to try and find an answer.

I am posting the somewhat clearer than mud answer I finally pulled out of the official ArriveCan helpline representative for those with the same travel arrangements.

We are fully vaccinated and double boosted.

I am flying into Vancouver the day before my embarkation on the Millennium cruise, Vancouver to Seward (no Canadian ports after the day of the Vancouver embarkation).  We are spending the night in a Vancouver hotel and embarking the ship the next day.

Yes, as I knew, we do need to do ArriveCan to cover our arrival by air and use the hotel information for that night.

No, there is no requirement for a separate ArriveCan to cover our embarkation the next day.  This is because once our ship leaves Vancouver, we do not have any Canadian ports on the cruise and we do not reenter Canada on the ship.

Yes, we do need the negative covid test, but if asked for a QR code for ArriveCan at the pier, the QR code for our entry by air the day before with the overnight on shore is all that is needed.

So for those of you arriving in Canada the day before (or earlier) and spending the night(s) ashore before embarking, there is no separate ArriveCan needed for embarkation.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Thanks.... Glad you answered the question many will have.

I hope it is correct.

This took thee phone attempts.

First representative didn't speak English well enough to help.

Second representative just answered "I don't know."

The third one kept trying to refer me to the ArriveCan website (doesn't have any help for my question) or the cruise line.  I finally got her to listen to me and answer my step by step questions to make sure we were on the same page.

Welcome to the world of staffing shortages.    I had a problem returning an Avis at London Heathrow.  I called Avis after the place on my contract had closed a year ago.    The agent asked me if London Heathrow was in the United Kingdom and suggested I return it to where I rented in Southampton.     I just hung up after saying "You mean you don't know where the Largest Airport in the world is?

52 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I just spent some time going in circles on the ArriveCan helpline  to try and find an answer.

Yes, we do need the negative covid test, but if asked for a QR code for ArriveCan at the pier, the QR code for our entry by air the day before with the overnight on shore is all that is needed.

So for those of you arriving in Canada the day before (or earlier) and spending the night(s) ashore before embarking, there is no separate ArriveCan needed for embarkation.

I have kind of a different question about ArriveCan.

We are driving to Canada in order to board an Air Canada flight to another country. (We live in Michigan and for some reason it's less expensive to fly overseas out of Windsor than Detroit)

We are also double boosted and I thought we didn't need a negative Covid test to do this.

Was your test needed for the cruise or for entering Canada.

(And I do agree that calling them can be frustrating!!!!!!)

19 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

I hope it is correct.

This took thee phone attempts.

First representative didn't speak English well enough to help.

Second representative just answered "I don't know."

The third one kept trying to refer me to the ArriveCan website (doesn't have any help for my question) or the cruise line.  I finally got her to listen to me and answer my step by step questions to make sure we were on the same page.

The information is correct. As the name suggests, you only need to use the ArriveCAN app when arriving in Canada. So a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise requires an ArriveCAN submission, but a Vancouver-Seward cruise does not.

It's too bad that you didn't visit the Canadian Cruisers board, where this has been explained over and over again. A number of times on the HAL board as well, but I guess the question was never asked here.

While Celebrity might accept the QR code from ArriveCAN from the previous day as proof of a negative test, I'd be inclined to bring my original test result. 

If you have further questions on the app, don't hesitate to ask.

2 minutes ago, chamima said:

We are driving to Canada in order to board an Air Canada flight to another country. (We live in Michigan and for some reason it's less expensive to fly overseas out of Windsor than Detroit)

We are also double boosted and I thought we didn't need a negative Covid test to do this.

While you will need to use ArriveCAN when you drive into Canada, you will not require a COVID test. Same applies to flying into Canada, a requirement that was dropped quite some time ago.

21 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The information is correct. As the name suggests, you only need to use the ArriveCAN app when arriving in Canada. So a Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise requires an ArriveCAN submission, but a Vancouver-Seward cruise does not.

It's too bad that you didn't visit the Canadian Cruisers board, where this has been explained over and over again. A number of times on the HAL board as well, but I guess the question was never asked here.

While Celebrity might accept the QR code from ArriveCAN from the previous day as proof of a negative test, I'd be inclined to bring my original test result. 

The Canadian cruiser Board is so helpful. Although i think the below may give people the impression its only for Canadians!  😆 

“A spot for our Canadian Cruise Friends to share cruise chats and information “

I hope Celebrity wouldn’t accept the QR code as proof of a negative test, since a negative test isnt required to enter Canada. But then again it would be better than not asking for any test result which was our experience in April!

Edited by lovecruzin
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Because it is not uncommon to receive the wrong information from posters on Cruise Critic, I went right to the official source, the ArriveCan helpline.

I posted the information that I received on the Celebrity for forum for others who may have the same Celebrity cruise scenario as I have. So shoot me (or get your jollies from snarky comments) for trying to help others.

And where did I ever say I was depending on the ArriveCan QR from the previous day for proof of a negative test?  

It is not required for vaccinated  visitors entering the country, only for boarding the cruise ship. Of course, I will have a hard copy of my test results in hand at the pier.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Because it is not uncommon to receive the wrong information from posters on Cruise Critic, I went right to the official source, the ArriveCan helpline.

I posted the information that I received on the Celebrity for forum for others who may have the same Celebrity cruise scenario as I have. So shoot me (or get your jollies from snarky comments) for trying to help others.

And where did I ever say I was depending on the ArriveCan QR from the previous day for proof of a negative test?  

It is not required for vaccinated  visitors entering the country, only for boarding the cruise ship. Of course, I will have a hard copy of my test results in hand at the pier.

Wow. At no point was there any snark, I was simply concurring with your post. You said "I hope that it is correct", and I was attempting to assure you that it was right.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

Just a tad sensitive are we…

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Wow. At no point was there any snark, I was simply concurring with your post. You said "I hope that it is correct", and I was attempting to assure you that it was right.  

I concur with your post. You are indeed constantly confirming and/or assisting cruisers with all things Canada. Never any snarky comments…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Sorry, folks, but the statement that it was too bad I didn't visit the Canadian Cruisers board for answers (you know, the board for people who already live there and do not need to enter Canada for a cruise leaving from Canada)  or HAL board (I have not receive numerous emails and app remainders about my cruise from HAL as I  am cruising on Celebrity)  as just a tad sarcastic (snarky).

So, for anyone who is flying into Canada before the day of their cruise and then embarking in a Canadian port and has been barrage by the constant Celebrity  remainders about ArriveCan that implies that we may have to also do a submission for embarkation, I took the time to actual contact the official ArriveCan helpline, obtain the answer and then posted it here for anyone else taking a Celebrity cruise.

We are sailing Seward to Vancouver. When does this ArriveCan stuff have to be done? I see so many different answers. Do we create and account and then do it on the ship a day or 2 before arriving in Vancouver, does it need to be done before we sail from Seward, can I do it now? Also, 4 of us are sailing. Can I do it for all of us? This is so confusing ……

44 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Sorry, folks, but the statement that it was too bad I didn't visit the Canadian Cruisers board for answers (you know, the board for people who already live there and do not need to enter Canada for a cruise leaving from Canada)  or HAL board (I have not receive numerous emails and app remainders about my cruise from HAL as I  am cruising on Celebrity)  as just a tad sarcastic (snarky).

So, for anyone who is flying into Canada before the day of their cruise and then embarking in a Canadian port and has been barrage by the constant Celebrity  remainders about ArriveCan that implies that we may have to also do a submission for embarkation, I took the time to actual contact the official ArriveCan helpline, obtain the answer and then posted it here for anyone else taking a Celebrity cruise.

I said it was too bad that you didn't visit the Canadian board because you would have found your answers very quickly and not experienced the frustrating time that you had trying to get the information from the help desk. "It's too bad" was an expression of sympathy, not sarcasm.

Regarding your comment about the Canadian board, "you know, the board for people who already live there and do not need to enter Canada for a cruise leaving from Canada", Canadians have been using ArriveCAN since April 2020 every time we have departed and returned to Canada. More Canadian cruisers have used ArriveCAN than any other nationality. We have lived through the many changes made to the underlying regulations as well as to the app itself. During these two plus years, contributors to the board have brought a great deal of clarity to the issue of ArriveCAN's use. Since the return to cruising in Canada was announced for this Spring, a significant amount of time has been devoted to providing information to our many American CC members, who naturally have had questions on this new-to-them app.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We are sailing Seward to Vancouver. When does this ArriveCan stuff have to be done? I see so many different answers. Do we create and account and then do it on the ship a day or 2 before arriving in Vancouver, does it need to be done before we sail from Seward, can I do it now? Also, 4 of us are sailing. Can I do it for all of us? This is so confusing ……

You must submit your information within 72 hours before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada. You can download the app, create an account and fill out most of the required information now, but it won't accept the trip information if the cruise is more than 72 hours away. If you enter everything except the trip information, your passport and proof of vaccination for example, it will be saved indefinitely.

If the four of you are members of the same family unit, with the same residence, you can all be included in the single ArriveCAN submission. So mum, dad and the two kids, for example, would be able to use a single submission. But mum and three of her friends enjoying a girls-only cruise would each need to make separate submissions.

I'd recommend that you download it now and make a dummy trip entry, just to get used to the app. Just don't take the last step of submitting the information. If you have questions after trying that, you'll have time to come back and get answers. 

• Thanks 1

Why all the drama about ArriveCAN?   It took 5 minutes to complete using my phone.  One can go back and enter a second entry point with just a few clicks.  Under 2 minutes.

Two important things to consider. 

#1 Make sure you update to the current version.  Any inputted data stays. 

#2 Use a phone as photos are automatically formatted.

PS just type in your passport number.  Faster 

ArriveCAN makes border crossing take usually seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You must submit your information within 72 hours before boarding a cruise ship destined for Canada. You can download the app, create an account and fill out most of the required information now, but it won't accept the trip information if the cruise is more than 72 hours away. If you enter everything except the trip information, your passport and proof of vaccination for example, it will be saved indefinitely.

If the four of you are members of the same family unit, with the same residence, you can all be included in the single ArriveCAN submission. So mum, dad and the two kids, for example, would be able to use a single submission. But mum and three of her friends enjoying a girls-only cruise would each need to make separate submissions.

I'd recommend that you download it now and make a dummy trip entry, just to get used to the app. Just don't take the last step of submitting the information. If you have questions after trying that, you'll have time to come back and get answers. 

Thank you. It’s my husband, son ,niece and I so I guess she will have if be separate. Ugh! I was hoping that I could do everything. We are paying for the cruise so she has zero information for any of it. It would be so much easier for me to be able to do everything, but oh well. Thank you for the information!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Why all the drama about ArriveCAN?   It took 5 minutes to complete using my phone.  One can go back and enter a second entry point with just a few clicks.  Under 2 minutes.

Two important things to consider. 

#1 Make sure you update to the current version.  Any inputted data stays. 

#2 Use a phone as photos are automatically formatted.

PS just type in your passport number.  Faster 

ArriveCAN makes border crossing take usually seconds.

Sorry I asked! No drama, just a question 🙄

10 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Sorry I asked! No drama, just a question

Sorry you are getting so many opinionated repines.     There are some members that are direct or snarky dependent on the way they are read.    For the ones I find offensive there is a very nice feature on CC called ignore user.   You can find it by clicking on the drop down under your name top right corner. 

Please keep posting as I know many member who no longer post because they are afraid of being attacked.   In my opinion CC is suppose to be a safe and friendly space.

I personally thank you for posting your questions as I will shortly be taking a B3B and each cruise has at least 2 stops in Canada and fall under about every scenario possible  -  First stop withing 72 hours of departure, outside that window and multiple stops in Canada .

I've already downloaded the app and entered the basic information (I'm a per-planner type of guy)  and reading to figure out when I do step 2 with the arrival information for the first leg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

Thank you. It’s my husband, son ,niece and I so I guess she will have if be separate. Ugh! I was hoping that I could do everything. We are paying for the cruise so she has zero information for any of it. It would be so much easier for me to be able to do everything, but oh well. Thank you for the information!

You could include your niece if you were her legal guardian, but not otherwise. Still, I think you'll find using the app to be quick and easy once you start using it, and a second submission will be easy.

The app allows you to have more than one account on your mobile phone. So if she is young, create a separate account on your phone for your niece and fill it out and submit it for her. If she's older, has her own mobile phone and is mature enough to handle it herself, let her make her own submission, but with a bit of guidance from you or your hubby.

Good luck!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Sorry you are getting so many opinionated repines.     There are some members that are direct or snarky dependent with most of there replies.   For the ones I find offensive there is a very nice feature on CC called ignore user.   You can find it by clicking on the drop down under your name top right corner. 

I personally thank you for posting your questions as I will shortly be taking a B3B and each cruise has at least 2 stops in Canada and fall under about every scenario possible  -  First stop withing 72 hours of departure, outside that window and multiple stops in Canada .

I've already downloaded the app and entered the basic information (I'm a per-planner type of guy)  and reading to figure out when I do step 2 with the arrival information for the first leg

Hi Jim. If you can post the details of your B3B itineraries, I'd be happy to give you a hand.

23 hours ago, chamima said:

As of today you must be fully vaccinated for Covid and you need to fill out the ArriveCan application before you enter Canada. A negative Covid test is not required to enter the country.

When flying out of Canada you will have to follow the rules for the country that you are flying into, if a test is required or not.

Okay for our upcoming Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise where we are arriving by plane to Vancouver a few days before the cruise, we will need to do the following?

1. Submit a ArriveCan application to cover both myself and DW within 72 hours of boarding our flight to Canada.

2. Submit a ArriveCan application or a second entry point to cover both myself and DW within 72 hours of boarding our Vancouver-Alaska-Vancouver cruise.

Thanks to everyone here for posting helpful information and yes I will check out the Canadian Cruisers board as well.

Last summer we had to fill out a similar form before flying to Hawaii.

• Like 1