Status of priests on ships (especially Symphony)?

Can anyone speak to the frequency of priests on ships (Symphony especially) right now?  I have several Catholics in my group.  

Royal's website mentions that priests offer Mass if on board but not sure how often that happens and what current status is given COVID.

Also, the same webpage discusses interdenominational services.  Any info on those?  Our group also contains an evangelical Christian who may opt for Mass or televised service if the general service on board is theologically anodyne, which it seems like it is.

A priest has to be sailing as a passenger, so there's no way to know if and when someone will be sailing and if they even want to lead a mass. The cruise lines only offer the space. It's up to a passenger to actually lead either a specific religious mass or a interdenominational service. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

A priest has to be sailing as a passenger, so there's no way to know if and when someone will be sailing and if they even want to lead a mass.

Thanks!  I am trying to just get a rough sense of the probability that a sailing will have a priest.  Do you have any anecdotal evidence from any recent sailings that you have been on?

1 minute ago, baelor said:

Thanks!  I am trying to just get a rough sense of the probability that a sailing will have a priest.  Do you have any anecdotal evidence from any recent sailings that you have been on?

Nope as I never go near the chapel during a cruise. As I mentioned, the cruise line merely provides the space, it's up to the luck of the draw on your cruise who is a passenger on the ship and then whether they actually want to lead a service. It doesn't need to be an actual priest for an interdenominational service. I'm sure you could probably lead a simple service for your cruise if need be. 🙂 

26 minutes ago, baelor said:

Based on past experiences for at least the last 5 years, the only time there was Mass is if there was a priest on board as a passenger. 

4 minutes ago, Loracpin2 said:

Based on past experiences for at least the last 5 years, the only time there was Mass is if there was a priest on board as a passenger. 

Thanks.  Any sense from your past experiences about the chance of a priest as a passenger on board?

Edited by baelor

4 minutes ago, baelor said:

Thanks.  Any sense from your past experiences about the chance of a priest as a passenger on board?

Well, they are on vacation.  There could be several, but they have to want to volunteer.   I've only seen services listed on the compass a few times.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, WheresWalter said:

Nope as I never go near the chapel during a cruise. As I mentioned, the cruise line merely provides the space, it's up to the luck of the draw on your cruise who is a passenger on the ship and then whether they actually want to lead a service. It doesn't need to be an actual priest for an interdenominational service. I'm sure you could probably lead a simple service for your cruise if need be. 🙂 

Most Catholics don't want an interdenominational service.

5 minutes ago, baelor said:

Probably been on nearly 100 cruises.  Probably 30+ on Royal over the past 12 years or so.  Nearly 20 of those were on Oasis class.  I’m not sure I ever recall seeing a priest (although I probably have once or twice) and I’ve never once seen a chapel being used for a service.  I have seen wedding parties that I know got married in the chapel before the ship sailed on day 1.  They used to let guests board to attend weddings and then depart before the ship left.  

In the early years both Oasis and Allure had large beautiful chapels up on deck 17.  I have no idea where they would even do a service now on Oasis class ships.  

It used to be on our transatlantic that there would be a priest onboard but I would say in the last 4-5 years they stopped that practice. I wish they would continue that service as when I’ve attended a non-denominational service, it is not as well attended as a daily Mass would be. 

We got back last month from our first Holland America cruise which was chosen for the specific reason of being able to attend daily Mass the our group of 18 and the priest missed the boat. Such a shame!

21 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

You don't know many Catholics, do you?

I was thinking something similar.  I'm not even Catholic.  DH was raised Catholic but we're non-denominational now.

• Like 1

Post your question in the Roll Call for your specific sail date; you will be able to if if there is a priest who also joins the Roll Call. Keep in mind, that not all passengers sailing on the ship know of Cruise Critic, so the Roll Call will only include a fraction of the passengers.

Once on board,  most ships we’ve been on, have a community board for passengers to post notices on, looking for like minded passengers, Bridge players for example  or in your case, anyone able to lead a mass. You may have to ask at Guest Relations where the board is located, usually not too far away.

Happy cruising to you.

Dianne

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Several years ago Celebrity would have a priest onboard for every cruise and 8 AM Mass was on the list of activities in the daily bulletin.  Of course this was when they only had 3 ships. LOL.  Last time I was aware of  a priest on the ship was in 2003 when we went to Hawaii RT from LA.

• Like 1

Holland America has a list of priests who can sign up for a free cruise if they are willing to do the daily mass.  But the priests have to provide their own transportation to the port.  The priests must use their vacation time and many parishioners donate money to the priest for traveling expenses and personal spending money.  The mass was held in one of the cocktail lounges.  This is what a priest told us on one of our cruises on HA.

When we were on Freedom OTS several years ago, mass was held in the theater and the lead singer sang at the mass and passengers attending did the readings and were altar servers.  However, on RCCL, the priests onboard would let the cruise line know if they would volunteer to serve mass or just be available in case of an emergency.  On one cruise, mass was shown in the cruise compass and the passengers showed up, but not the priest. 😂

So, on RCCL, it’s hit or miss.  However, I have no idea if COVID-19 has stopped these services by the church or possibly the cruise lines.

The Catholics in your group can go to catholicmasses.org which they can check mass schedules while in port, or view daily mass online if someone has internet service.  They “should” be able to log in on their phone or tablet then use the AirPlay app to send it to a TV where everyone could view it, if the person is willing to share with others.

Wishing all of you a great cruise.

God Bless.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Just an idea, but perhaps the devout Catholics in the group would care to sponsor their priest to come along in exchange for provision of Mass as needed? Win/win all around. 

Appreciate the idea, but we all have different priests with different schedules and limited budgets since we all just graduated professional school and are not licensed to practice.  So win for spirituality but loss for our budgets.

Thank you all for your insight and perspectives so far.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mom4mom said:

…We got back last month from our first Holland America cruise which was chosen for the specific reason of being able to attend daily Mass the our group of 18 and the priest missed the boat. Such a shame!

On no! What happened?

53 minutes ago, baelor said:

Appreciate the idea, but we all have different priests with different schedules and limited budgets since we all just graduated professional school and are not licensed to practice.  So win for spirituality but loss for our budgets.

Thank you all for your insight and perspectives so far.

We have a very good friend who is a priest that we have known since college.  He has very limited funds and time off.  He used to take his mother on trips once every year or two  (she paid but he was her travel companion).  She's gone now so his travel is more restricted as he just doesn't have the income to do it as often.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, yogimax said:

Why?  I would think the important factor would be an opportunity to worship with others.

Missing Mass is a sin (unless there isn’t a way to go), it can’t be replaced by another service.

• Thanks 2