Bar Harbor

ms1279

On 7/15/2022 at 12:18 PM, GTJ said:

According to the information posted on the USGS website, http://store.usgs.gov/senior-pass, "[t]he Senior Pass admits pass owner and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per-vehicle fee areas and pass owner + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, where per-person fees are charged." It would appear that all four persons would be able to enter the park as bus passengers, even if only one person has a Senior Pass . . . that a second person also has a Senior Pass is overkill.

That said, your point is well-taken as to the implication that the National Park Service does generally act in a prejudicial manner towards users of public transportation, and takes a more welcoming position to those persons who drive private cars. Even NPS sites that provide internal public transportation systems as a matter of traffic control generally orient those systems towards persons driving private cars. This is well-illustrated at Acadia National Park, where the very frequent Island Explorer bus service that completely circumnavigates the park loop road (route no. 4) originates at the Hulls Cove visitor center, which is remove from central Bar Harbor and used primarily by motorists, while those who have used public transportation to arrive in central Bar Harbor--mostly by cruise vessel--are left with a less frequent Island Explorer bus service that operates only along a portion of the park loop road (route no. 3). Similar situations exist at other national parks.

Even if there were an obligation to pay an entry fee, I am not certain where or how persons could actually pay the fee if their entry were from the village green in Bar Harbor using one of the Island Explorer bus routes. There does not appear any convenient way of doing so, nor does there appear to be any enforcement mechanism encourage compliance. Perhaps others can add to this conversation, both as to where and how the fee can be paid by those wanting to pay the fee, and as to whether there is any enforcement of fee payment from those not using private automobiles.

There is a small cabin on the village green where you pay for park entrance.  They will also give you recommendations as to which route number to take if you are uncertain as to where to go and what to see.  You show your receipt or National Park pass to the driver before boarding the bus.

On 7/18/2022 at 6:39 PM, Ashland said:

Hmmm....Are you sure about needing the city tour?

Agree with your choice of Acadia Tour with the National Park service which we've done also in the morning their first tour of the day.

Our park ranger guide showed us many locations as we headed out and talked about the history of Bar Harbor. You will also be given a discount coupon (we were) for Testa's restaurant where we had a wonderful lunch after the tour then walked throughout the small Bar Harbor town area. That alone was easy to do no tour of the city really needed....JMHO of course.

Sorry for mentioning this to you about needing a city tour but just wanted to offer a suggestion. But you enjoy whatever you think works best for you.

Hmm, didn’t even think about the redundancy!  It’s our first time to Bar Harbor so I wanted to maximize our time.  I thought the National park in the morning, lunch, then a city tour.

Thanks for the suggestion—hubby already likes your idea!  Less time on a bus is always a hit with him!

29 minutes ago, disneyochem said:

Hmm, didn’t even think about the redundancy!  It’s our first time to Bar Harbor so I wanted to maximize our time.  I thought the National park in the morning, lunch, then a city tour.

Thanks for the suggestion—hubby already likes your idea!  Less time on a bus is always a hit with him!

Yes...."redundancy" is the key word here...and why I decided to add my 2 cents.

I think once you actually get to Bar Harbor you'll see what I mean.

Once you get off the tender and walk up the hill on the main street towards Testa's you'll be in the middle of town.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, SueMo said:

You show your receipt or National Park pass to the driver before boarding the bus.

If a family or other group does park-and-ride, then a vehicle park pass is to be purchased and left on display in the motor vehicle. When anyone in such a family or group boards a bus, no one will have an individual park pass to display.

The system used by the National Park Service is poorly planned, both from the perspective of equity (i.e., charging more for a group of pedestrians with no motor vehicle, and minimal environmental impact, than for the same number of people in a motor vehicle) and from the perspective of enforcement. A better system would be one that divides the park entry fee into separate components for motor vehicles and individuals. So, for example, a fee of, say, $20 for the entry of a motor vehicle, plus $5 for the entry of each adult (and half that amount for the entry of each child, elderly, or disabled person). Separate receipts would be issued for the vehicle and for each individual, thereby allowing for the display of a vehicle entry pass in the vehicle used and for each individual having their own entry pass for when stopped randomly by park rangers when on foot or on a bus (overlooking, of course, any fourth amendment implications). This is the same type of fare structure used by most vehicle-carrying ferry, and it works well: it is the most fair and practicable method. The problem, I think, is that few who work for the National Park Service live in a city where people routinely walk and use public transportation, and instead these policy-makers, themselves, drive everywhere and expect most "normal" people to drive. They're simply not very good at adapting urban practices in park environments.

21 hours ago, SueMo said:

There is a small cabin on the village green where you pay for park entrance.  They will also give you recommendations as to which route number to take if you are uncertain as to where to go and what to see.  You show your receipt or National Park pass to the driver before boarding the bus.

Ty Sue 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Shandav said:

Anyone know what time the last tender boat leaves Bar Harbor?

What time is All Aboard on the ship?  The tender will be based on that.  It's a short trip, but important!

I suspect the ship's planner will state the tender time before you leave the ship.

On 7/27/2022 at 5:42 PM, 2bc cruisers said:

We’re visiting in later October.  Free bus routes 3 and 10 both end on Oct 10. Bummer. 

I guess it’s cruise line tour if I want o see the park.  

That's not your only option. Book directly with Acadia National Park....Just an amazing tour.