21 Chef’s Table Menus?

Clay Clayton

2 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

#1 Personal Favorite So Far: Lotus

#2 Top of Wish List to Try: Sweet & Salty

#3 Wish they would create: Greek

if we get enough folks completing the survey, I’ll start a tally and post updates every so often.  If not, then I’m really happy to learn what the 21 menus are and hope I get to try them!

Thanks to all who assisted!

#1 Personal Favorite So Far: Sweet & Salty

#2 Top of Wish List to Try: A Taste of Thailand

#3 Wish they would create 1: Japan

#3 Wish they would create 2: Argentina

#3 Wish they would create 3: Spain

• Like 2

Love what a collaborative group gathers here! I didn't think to propose  the #3 slot "Wish They Would Create", so thanks to Dukefan for that. Undecided what my number three would be, could be Spain or maybe New Orleans (would there be beignets ?!?). Maybe I need to wait and see what other options pop up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

#1 Personal Favorite So Far: Lotus

#2 Top of Wish List to Try: Sweet & Salty

#3 Wish they would create: Greek

if we get enough folks completing the survey, I’ll start a tally and post updates every so often.  If not, then I’m really happy to learn what the 21 menus are and hope I get to try them!

Thanks to all who assisted!

Of course, I would love to have a Greek menu !  And many others, as well.

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Personal favorite:  Asian Panorama

Want to try:  Thai

Wish they would create:  Greece, Spain. And I love the idea of New Orleans!

Will be on a Spain voyage, so maybe thy will have one.

Edited by FetaCheese

1 minute ago, FetaCheese said:

Will be on a Spain voyage, so maybe thy will have one.

They will in the MDR.  There is a regional special each night of the cruise.  The Chef's Table menus are, for the most part, not tied to the itinerary.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

Slightly off-topic, but is it possible to ask that there be a ‘sticky thread’ for Viking menus? Particularly since - unlike many other lines - Viking does not publish sample menus on its website? Perhaps it could take the place of ‘Referral Offers’ which is long closed. It would save a lot of trawling through posts…..

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, claranda said:

Slightly off-topic, but is it possible to ask that there be a ‘sticky thread’ for Viking menus? Particularly since - unlike many other lines - Viking does not publish sample menus on its website? Perhaps it could take the place of ‘Referral Offers’ which is long closed. It would save a lot of trawling through posts…..

Referrals is closed to discussion but the information is current and relevant to all and should remain where it is.  

For me, the problem with stickies is where do you stop? River cruising has a dozen not so important stickies that have to be scrolled through each time you visit.  I stopped visiting there.  Those one dozen stickies could have easily been set up as one stickies with a dozen links to articles.  

[Replicating an earlier post #6447 for folks who might want to see photos of some of the Chef's Table meals.]

During the 21/22 WC the Chef’s table menu changed every 3 to 4 days.  We only managed to get go to the Chef’s Table a few (23) times.  Generally, I would schedule a dinner at the Chef’s table on sea days when the menu changed.  I counted 12 unique menus, but I may have missed a couple.  Below is a list of the meal themes on the days we had dinner at the Chef’s Table.  You’ll note that as the journey became very port-centric, with few sea days in April and May, we didn’t make it to the Chef’s Table often.

Chef’s Table  meal themes
1.    Jan 13    California Cuisine
2.    Jan 17    Asian Panorama
3.    Jan 22    Sweet & Salty
4.    Jan 26    Lotus  
5.    Jan 28     Erling's Scandinavian
6.    Jan 31    Xiang
7.    Feb 6    A Gastronomic Journey Through Time
8.    Feb 9    Venice Carnival
9.    Feb 12    Great Britain
10.    Feb 15    Xiang
11.    Feb 18    La Routes des Indes
12.    Feb 21    Asian Panorama
13.    Feb 25    Great Britain
14.    Mar 1    Thailand
15.    Mar 5    A Gastronomic Journey Through Time
16.    Mar 7    Erling's Scandinavian
17.    Mar 13    Thailand
18.    Mar 15    Sweet & Salty
19.    Mar 21    Lotus  
20.    Mar 25    Asian Panorama
21.    Mar 28    La Routes des Indes
22.    April 14    Indonesian
23.    May 5    Great Britain

Attached is a PDF file with photos I captured of our Chef's Table meals

1968273224_ChefTableMeals.pdf

• Thanks 3

• 3 months later...

We'll be on the Neptune in July and were also interested in booking a Chef's Table.  Really appreciate those of you who provided information... VERY helpful.

My question... On one of the videos I watched, the lady mentioned that wine pairings cost an extra $25.  Is this correct?  Is there an upcharge for wine pairings at a Chef's Table?

25 minutes ago, st5310 said:

We'll be on the Neptune in July and were also interested in booking a Chef's Table.  Really appreciate those of you who provided information... VERY helpful.

My question... On one of the videos I watched, the lady mentioned that wine pairings cost an extra $25.  Is this correct?  Is there an upcharge for wine pairings at a Chef's Table?

No. There are included wine pairings. If you have the Silver Spirits Beverage Package, you can get the “upgraded” wines. If no SSBP, you can pay $25 extra for the “upgraded” wines.

25 minutes ago, st5310 said:

Is there an upcharge for wine pairings at a Chef's Table?

There are two types of pairings at Chef’s Table, regular and premium.  There is no added charge for the regular pairings.  The premium pairings are $25pp, unless you have the Silver Spirit Beverage Package; if so the premium pairing are included in the package.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, st5310 said:

We do have the Silver Spirit package, so that's good to know!

They will know you have the SS package when you are seated and replace the stemless wine glasses with those with stems.  That's how they keep everyone with the correct wines.  We so enjoyed this experience and found the staff at CT  some of the best on the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

There are two types of pairings at Chef’s Table, regular and premium.  There is no added charge for the regular pairings.  The premium pairings are $25pp, unless you have the Silver Spirit Beverage Package; if so the premium pairing are included in the package.

Is it like the SSBP where both need to upgrade the wine at Chef’s Table?

11 minutes ago, MELSMOM47 said:

I really don’t know as we have always had the package.  But I should think a person could upgrade on their own.  I’m sure someone on here can give you a concrete answer.  

1 hour ago, MELSMOM47 said:

No—different kettle of fish. It’s just a one-time deal and not the same as needing to buy the package for both people in a stateroom.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

that French menu sounds wonderful.  I also love indonesian so that would go up the list.  I agree that creole / cajun would be amazing.  They could also do some of the African flavors; Morocco, Ethiopian spring to mind.  The ways and flavors of west African are heavily present in Soul Food.

On 5/1/2023 at 5:44 PM, SantaFe1 said:

The interesting thing is that both the regular and premium wines at Chef’s Table are on the wine list at $8 a glass. We didn’t notice this last time we ate there but this time the sommelier’s choices of so-called ‘premium’ wine were so poorly matched to the Chinese menu, that we opted for the regular, which were more robust. We then compared all the CT wines with the full wine list, and there they all were at $8!

So, in effect, if you don’t have the SSBP the only reason for paying $25 is if you prefer those wines - you’re not getting anything special or different.

The more we thought about this the more it annoyed us. It is very misleading to give SSBP passengers the impression that they are getting something special when they are not. There are several bottles on the Virgin wine list at between $30 - $45; we think they should be opening those as an attempt to offer something premium.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, claranda said:

The interesting thing is that both the regular and premium wines at Chef’s Table are on the wine list at $8 a glass. We didn’t notice this last time we ate there but this time the sommelier’s choices of so-called ‘premium’ wine were so poorly matched to the Chinese menu, that we opted for the regular, which were more robust. We then compared all the CT wines with the full wine list, and there they all were at $8!

So, in effect, if you don’t have the SSBP the only reason for paying $25 is if you prefer those wines - you’re not getting anything special or different.

The more we thought about this the more it annoyed us. It is very misleading to give SSBP passengers the impression that they are getting something special when they are not. There are several bottles on the Virgin wine list at between $30 - $45; we think they should be opening those as an attempt to offer something premium.

Right you are. The SSBP is just another way to pay. No added “access” to wines that the rest of us can’t get.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2023 at 9:34 AM, claranda said:

There are several bottles on the Virgin wine list at between $30 - $45; we think they should be opening those as an attempt to offer something premium.

What's a "Virgin wine list" ?

Non-alcoholic wine?