Downgrading a cabin?

Loritd

Is it possible to downgrade your cabin after final payment? We splurged and booked a club class mini suite for our british isles cruise in September.  My sister and brother-in-law are now wanting to go with us but considering how much airfare has gone up they want a balcony not a club class mini suite and use the savings towards airfare. We booked our own airfare but we have a post hotel and have prepaid for several sold out shore excursions through Princess. I am willing to do refundable on board credit.  I would call my travel agent but she is out of town till Monday.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

I'm not understanding your problem.  Wouldn't your sister and her husband book their own cabin?  How would that impact a cabin you'd already booked for yourself, unless you're wanting to get adjoining cabins?

• Like 1

Just now, DCThunder said:

I'm not understanding your problem.  Wouldn't your sister and her husband book their own cabin?  How would that impact a cabin you'd already booked for yourself, unless you're wanting to get adjoining cabins?

Maybe so they eat together also? Since OP has CC. 

• Like 1

Yes, It's because of the club class dining. We paid for it and if we want to eat with them we can't sit in the club class dining area. I just hate to pay for something we won't use. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Loritd said:

Yes, It's because of the club class dining. We paid for it and if we want to eat with them we can't sit in the club class dining area. I just hate to pay for something we won't use. 

OK.  Good luck.

1 hour ago, Loritd said:

Is it possible to downgrade your cabin after final payment? We splurged and booked a club class mini suite for our british isles cruise in September.  My sister and brother-in-law are now wanting to go with us but considering how much airfare has gone up they want a balcony not a club class mini suite and use the savings towards airfare. We booked our own airfare but we have a post hotel and have prepaid for several sold out shore excursions through Princess. I am willing to do refundable on board credit.  I would call my travel agent but she is out of town till Monday.  Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

I would call whomever you booked with. TA, CVP or PCL. Mostly likely you would be charged the penalty.  Just explain your

case and tell them you will be adding another cabin for them.  Good luck!

@Loritd

If I were you, I would keep the Club Class mini-suite, which is clearly what you wanted until your sister and brother-in-law announced their plans.  Why should you change your plans because of them? It's not as if the only time you'd ever see them onboard is at dinner. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, jimdee3636 said:

@Loritd

If I were you, I would keep the Club Class mini-suite, which is clearly what you wanted until your sister and brother-in-law announced their plans.  Why should you change your plans because of them? It's not as if the only time you'd ever see them onboard is at dinner. 

Because they want to have dinner together.

• Like 1

It may not be financially wise to do this.  You may have to cancel your present booking and rebook, lose any amenities that were provided with this promotion, if any, and if the price of cabins has increased, you will need to pay the new fare, which is likely to be a lot more than what you already paid. 

Good luck.  

The price would be cheaper with a drop from a club class mini suite to a regular balcony. But my husband and I decided to just stay where we are and if they go and our schedules line up we will just go to the regular area in the dining room. It is a very port intensive cruise with lots of long days touring. We may not have that many dinners together anyway. 

I know this is possible because I've done it. Difference was refunded to my credit card. Call and ask. If you get denied, call again and ask. Success will probably hinge on who you talk to and their willingness to help. 

6 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I know this is possible because I've done it. Difference was refunded to my credit card. Call and ask. If you get denied, call again and ask. Success will probably hinge on who you talk to and their willingness to help. 

Yeah, they won't make it easy....but if you or your TA is persistent it can be done.

10 hours ago, Loritd said:

The price would be cheaper with a drop from a club class mini suite to a regular balcony. But my husband and I decided to just stay where we are and if they go and our schedules line up we will just go to the regular area in the dining room. It is a very port intensive cruise with lots of long days touring. We may not have that many dinners together anyway. 

Am I understanding this correctly?  

You were willing to downgrade after finally payment with the possibility of incurred losses… not knowing if they are even going to join you on the cruise?

I’m glad you decided to keep CC. You will enjoy the less stress atmosphere after busy days.  

No I wouldn't have downgraded without them being paid in full.  Even if we had to use the insurance's cancel for any reason it still would have been $1500 cheaper. I was more worried about not getting our already purchased sold out shore excursions back. Half of the cruiseline's shore excursions are sold out.  A lot of people have onboard credit from cancelled cruises, we did. 

• Thanks 1