Discovery Princess Embarkation MDR Lunch

Eaglecw

16 minutes ago, WoolworthAdventures said:

Skagway will be open 

Gigi’s will be open 

the pool deck pizza and burgers will be open 

the buffet will be open 

Thanks. That's pretty much what it normally is. The Skagway is on Deck 6 Fiesta. On the Majestic that dining room is called the Concerto.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eaglecw said:

That's pretty much what it normally is.

On every cruise I’ve been on it has been the Deck 6 Mid-ship MDR. You might want to also consider Gigi’s. It is a sit down, waiter service venue and assuming it parallels Alfredo’s on other ships, the food will be superior to the lunch served in the MDR. The new al fresco seating option looks intriguing as well. 

• Like 1

I rushed on board the Majestic twice to get the embarkation lunch, with the same salmon I can get every night at dinner, and they crammed everyone at 2-tops next to each other so people were chatting with the tables next to them, talking about their previous cruises and releasing their cruise excitement and there were group tables of strangers chatting, so I didn't feel comfortable or safe. The dining room staff also didn't seem to be thrilled to be having to work a lunch while their comrades were enjoying some shore or rest time. It was easy to ask for a distanced table at dinner, but not at embarkation lunch, so for me it isn't worth the risks and discomfort. If you board first as elite-platinum you can get a nice table at Gigi's/Alredo's or have fresh food in the buffet before the crowds get there. You can also take buffet food outside and enjoy the Seattle skyline or mountain views, which is what I'm planning to do this Sunday, and maybe hitting the wakeview pool, since it will be up to 85.  

• Like 2

On 6/24/2022 at 11:46 PM, rj59 said:

I rushed on board the Majestic twice to get the embarkation lunch, with the same salmon I can get every night at dinner, and they crammed everyone at 2-tops next to each other so people were chatting with the tables next to them, talking about their previous cruises and releasing their cruise excitement and there were group tables of strangers chatting, so I didn't feel comfortable or safe.

That's why their safety protocols are a complete farce. Wearing a mask in only certain parts of some ships doesn't prevent transmitting any virus especially when sitting close to others in their restaurants. 

Their half hearted attempts are only to calm the people who are overly concerned and don't do much good.

• Like 3

On 6/24/2022 at 9:34 PM, JimmyVWine said:

On every cruise I’ve been on it has been the Deck 6 Mid-ship MDR. You might want to also consider Gigi’s. It is a sit down, waiter service venue and assuming it parallels Alfredo’s on other ships, the food will be superior to the lunch served in the MDR. The new al fresco seating option looks intriguing as well. 

Unfortunately, on the inaugural cruise and the second cruise on the Discovery Princess they were not serving at the alfresco seating area due to being short staffed. I don’t know if that has changed or not.

37 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

Unfortunately, on the inaugural cruise and the second cruise on the Discovery Princess they were not serving at the alfresco seating area due to being short staffed. I don’t know if that has changed or not.

I hope they can get that squared away. NCL has shown that the outdoor seating along the Boardwalk (or whatever it is called) is a winner. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I hope they can get that squared away. NCL has shown that the outdoor seating along the Boardwalk (or whatever it is called) is a winner. 

We sat there and ordered drinks using the app but that was all we could do.  Love the area and hope to be able to use it on our next cruise.  

I just got off Discovery today.  Skagway was open for the embarkation lunch and Gigi’s was not doing the Al fresco dining.  If you want to do the embarkation lunch, I would advise to arrive early.  We had about 3400 passengers and the port struggled.  It was 2 hours in line just to get through security, and then luckily there was a platinum, elite, suite line at the check in desks.  The ship ended up sailing an hour late.

6 minutes ago, Jase0581 said:

I just got off Discovery today.  Skagway was open for the embarkation lunch and Gigi’s was not doing the Al fresco dining.  If you want to do the embarkation lunch, I would advise to arrive early.  We had about 3400 passengers and the port struggled.  It was 2 hours in line just to get through security, and then luckily there was a platinum, elite, suite line at the check in desks.  The ship ended up sailing an hour late.

That’s pretty close to 100% occupancy.  How was the service?  We spent two wonderful weeks on the Discovery Princess.  We had excellent service but some reported that they did not. That’s a bummer about the outside dining at Gigi’s.

Edited by MsSoCalCruiser

16 minutes ago, MsSoCalCruiser said:

That’s pretty close to 100% occupancy.  How was the service?  We spent two wonderful weeks on the Discovery Princess.  We had excellent service but some reported that they did not. That’s a bummer about the outside dining at Gigi’s.

The service for the most part was excellent, and the ship never really felt as full as it was.  We ate most meals in the Ketchikan dining room and was lucky enough to have Aleksander as our waiter.  We ate in Sabatini's one night and service was excellent there as well.  Gigi's was mixed, we ate there twice for lunch (both on sea days) and the first time it was excellent and the second it was really rushed.  The bar service was excellent and quick.

• Like 1

Ok! I should probably look at a map to name the dining room but...when I entered the Discovery upon boarding day, I walked to the right on that deck and the dining room said Club Class by one door where a hostess was standing. (I wasn't club class that cruise). I asked if I could have lunch there and she said yes! I was seated at a large table and after 15 minutes of no one else joining me, I asked to order! Had a delicious salmon ,something else, and the grand marnier souffle for dessert! Eventually a very pleasant club class couple joined me. That was April 22,2022 sailing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jase0581 said:

The service for the most part was excellent, and the ship never really felt as full as it was.  We ate most meals in the Ketchikan dining room and was lucky enough to have Aleksander as our waiter.  We ate in Sabatini's one night and service was excellent there as well.  Gigi's was mixed, we ate there twice for lunch (both on sea days) and the first time it was excellent and the second it was really rushed.  The bar service was excellent and quick.

Sounds like your cruise was just about perfect.  

2 minutes ago, pootsien2 said:

Ok! I should probably look at a map to name the dining room but...when I entered the Discovery upon boarding day, I walked to the right on that deck and the dining room said Club Class by one door where a hostess was standing. (I wasn't club class that cruise). I asked if I could have lunch there and she said yes! I was seated at a large table and after 15 minutes of no one else joining me, I asked to order! Had a delicious salmon ,something else, and the grand marnier souffle for dessert! Eventually a very pleasant club class couple joined me. That was April 22,2022 sailing.

Skagway MDR 😊

On 6/24/2022 at 5:46 PM, rj59 said:

The dining room staff also didn't seem to be thrilled to be having to work a lunch while their comrades were enjoying some shore or rest time. 

I have been on many cruises and doubt that anyone is allowed off the ship on turn around days.  

1.  There are crew that are leaving.

2.  New crew arrives (and aren't allowed to work immediately).

3.  Stewards recruit those without schedules to "assist" them in getting the cabins ready (at their expense).

4.  The buffet area has more than the usual servers to accommodate the influx of passengers.

5.  Many are helping with the luggage.

6. Others are assigned wheelchair duty..  

7.  There are greeters and runners and welcome aboard crew.

8.  Crew are at Muster Stations to help check in passengers.

9.  Entertainers are getting ready for sail away "show".

10.  Bars are staff for all those who must have their first drink after embarkation drama.

11.  And the list goes on.

Turn around days are full days for crew members.  

• Like 6

15 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I have been on many cruises and doubt that anyone is allowed off the ship on turn around days.  

1.  There are crew that are leaving.

2.  New crew arrives (and aren't allowed to work immediately).

3.  Stewards recruit those without schedules to "assist" them in getting the cabins ready (at their expense).

4.  The buffet area has more than the usual servers to accommodate the influx of passengers.

5.  Many are helping with the luggage.

6. Others are assigned wheelchair duty..  

7.  There are greeters and runners and welcome aboard crew.

8.  Crew are at Muster Stations to help check in passengers.

9.  Entertainers are getting ready for sail away "show".

10.  Bars are staff for all those who must have their first drink after embarkation drama.

11.  And the list goes on.

Turn around days are full days for crew members.  

And all available crew who don't have the above duties to perform are assisting in re-provisioning the ship with an unbelievable amount of food and supplies. I've watched every TV show on cruise ships I run across and turnaround day is the busiest day of the cruise for all the crew. None get any time off on the most complex day of the cruise. It's simply amazing that they can get so much done in just 8 to 10 hours. My admiration for how hard they work on turnaround day is huge.

Edited by sloopsailor
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

None get any time off on the most complex day of the cruise. 

Absolutely not true.

Possibly now with covid.  But, in general, not true.

In Ft. Lauderdale, have a look at someplace like the calling station.

Packed with crew.

They even run a shuttle to the ships.

For some crazy reason, Ross is super popular.

On a busy turn-around day, there can be 50+ in a check out line.

Edited by Roberto256

9 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Absolutely not true.

Possibly now with covid.  But, in general, not true.

In Ft. Lauderdale, have a look at someplace like the calling station.

Packed with crew.

They even run a shuttle to the ships.

For some crazy reason, Ross is super popular.

On a busy turn-around day, there can be 50+ in a check out line.

If you say so. All I know is what the Hotel Manager, the 2nd most important person on the ship, described on several of the many shows I have watched. They must not know what is going on in their own departments!  😇

Seriously, the entertainment staff are in a different category with different contract arrangements than the ship support crew such as kitchen, housekeeping, etc. They typically don't get involved in turn around tasks. Perhaps those are the people you have seen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

If you say so. All I know is what the Hotel Manager, the 2nd most important person on the ship, described on several of the many shows I have watched. They must not know what is going on in their own departments!  😇

Seriously, the entertainment staff are in a different category with different contract arrangements than the ship support crew such as kitchen, housekeeping, etc. They typically don't get involved in turn around tasks. Perhaps those are the people you have seen. 

Perhaps not.

Cabin steward ... no time off.

Deck Department ... no time off ... deliverying luggage

Dancers / Entertainers ... generally time off

Food and Beverage Manager, and the people working below deck ... no time off.

Dining ... generally time off.

19 hours ago, MissP22 said:

What's a calling station?

I know when I was in the army we had a place near the PX that was lines of phone booths we called phone city. Maybe that is kind of what they mean?

7 hours ago, Moondogy said:

I know when I was in the army we had a place near the PX that was lines of phone booths we called phone city. Maybe that is kind of what they mean?

If that's what they were implying it's been many years since any crew member has used one. 99 % of them have the unlimited crew package & stay in contact during the day. 

9 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Perhaps not.

Cabin steward ... no time off.

Deck Department ... no time off ... deliverying luggage

Dancers / Entertainers ... generally time off

Food and Beverage Manager, and the people working below deck ... no time off.

Dining ... generally time off.

The dining staff is usually shown assisting with storage of incoming food provisions, or preparing lunch for passengers coming on board, typically in the buffet or poolside grill. True, I am only watching the many TV shows on how cruise ships function and don't have first hand knowledge that an actual crew member or management could share here, but this is what has been shown and is all I can go on at the moment. 

29 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

The dining staff is usually shown assisting with storage of incoming food provisions, or preparing lunch for passengers coming on board, typically in the buffet or poolside grill. True, I am only watching the many TV shows on how cruise ships function and don't have first hand knowledge that an actual crew member or management could share here, but this is what has been shown and is all I can go on at the moment. 

I have gone out in Ft. Lauderdale with waiters on turn around days ... dozens and dozens of times.

Maybe it's different on other cruise lines, and that is what you have seen.

When I have been waiting for someone to come off the crew gangway, there is a constant stream

of crew coming and going.

On the fourth hand, you would want to show all the busy people on some tv show.

Not very interesting to show someone off duty sleeping, doing laundry, or waiting 

in line at Ross.

One of the funniest ... I was at publix, and they wouldn't let the girl ahead of me buy wine,

because she didn't have a driver's license, to verify her age.

The cashier actually asked if she had an I-95...

She did, and all was well.

https://www.stilt.com/blog/2020/11/i-95-form/

Edited by Roberto256